itlaian certificate of citizenship
itlaian certificate of citizenship
I am waiting on something the info from the consulate says i must have that is a certificate of citizenship on my grandfather (1885-1978). Is there really such a thing and how would they produce it on someone who is deceased? Is this necessary?
Re: itlaian certificate of citizenship
US citizenship? If so, it sounds like they want to know when he was naturalized.
Re: itlaian certificate of citizenship
I never heard of this but... Do you know if your grandfather became a citizen? If he did not perhaps that is why they want to know. If he did do you have any clues? Was he in the army? Lots of Italians in the WWI era obtained citizenship by joining the army. Since you had to be a US citizen to be in the army they were fast tracked through the citizenship process after they registered for the army in a location closest to where they were stationed.
Re: itlaian certificate of citizenship
Just a note- there is no requirement to be a US citizen to serve in the US military. However, serving in the military does provide an accelerated route to US citizenship for anyone who voluntarily wishes to naturalize.Since you had to be a US citizen to be in the army
Re: itlaian certificate of citizenship
Pastasugo is correct. Many Italians joined the draft because it would fast track the US Citizenship process..but you didn't have to be a citizen to register for the draft.
Re: itlaian certificate of citizenship
Thank you all for the ideas, but no as far as I can tell my grandfather never served in the us armed forces. I did find his draft card in the records but he never was drafted. The certificate of citizenship I am asking about is from the comune that says he is a Italian citizen. This seems like a strange request on the paperwork from the Italian consulate here in chicago. do they really need this? Isn't being born there enough? And never naturalizeing in the usa of course... I wrote to Nocera Superiore and after a lot of time no answer..... which tells me that is not something they can do. any ideas?
Re: itlaian certificate of citizenship
I'm no expert on this subject but Yes, it is necessary to request from Italy that your grandfather was an Italian citizenship. I am in the middle of applying for my dual citizenship as well and so I had to request this and several other records from Italy as well as my birth, marriage and husbands birth record from here. I had to do the same for my children.corrado wrote:Thank you all for the ideas, but no as far as I can tell my grandfather never served in the us armed forces. I did find his draft card in the records but he never was drafted. The certificate of citizenship I am asking about is from the comune that says he is a Italian citizen. This seems like a strange request on the paperwork from the Italian consulate here in chicago. do they really need this? Isn't being born there enough? And never naturalizeing in the usa of course... I wrote to Nocera Superiore and after a lot of time no answer..... which tells me that is not something they can do. any ideas?
I would contact someone who specializes in these types of requests if you aren't comfortable requesting them yourself. There are different records that you need to get (depending on your request, they could send the wrong record) and then you need to have them translated and stamped. Unless you can do this alone, expect it will cost some money. And a lot of time, too.
Maybe someone can offer their thoughts on this or share their experiences, too.
Re: itlaian certificate of citizenship
At LA consulate we were not required to produce an Italian citizenship certificate. Nonno's birth certificate from 1868 was sufficient. Also on his declaration of intention and petition for natualization he declares his nationality is Italian.
I don't know if this requirement is an idiosynchrasy of one or a couple of consulates. It's definitely not required by all of them.
I don't know if this requirement is an idiosynchrasy of one or a couple of consulates. It's definitely not required by all of them.
Re: itlaian certificate of citizenship
Thank you nuccia and pastasugo...... lets see what happens. but in the meantime I am still waiting on the NO RECORD and an ammendment to my grandfathers death cert.




