Surname "ZONA"

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
Morningstar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 18 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Fla USA

Surname "ZONA"

Post by Morningstar »

Hello
Am wondering if someone can help me here? Am trying to find the family of Zona of Trieste Italy.
My great great grand father when he cam e to America changed his name to John Edward Jones and was born in 1835. I have a letter from his mother in Trieste Italy that mentions he has a brother named Pinni{i don't know what that means} his mother's name was Maria Zona . I don't know why he left there or if he ever even wrote her back because in the letter it had been a great many years since she had heard from him.
In America he lived and died in Charleston SC and married Catherine Rosa Morgan .
If any one can help me I would be greatfull. I know no Italian so don't know where to start.I do know there is a very large bussiness in the Trieste area with the name Zona on it.
Thanks
Morningstar
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Surname "ZONA"

Post by liviomoreno »

Searching on the White pages I found only 1 person named Giovanni Zona.
User avatar
Morningstar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 18 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Fla USA

Re: Surname "ZONA"

Post by Morningstar »

Thank you
I wentintothe Trieste Italy sight via this site and found a lot of stuff concerning the name Zona by just typeing in the name in its search box,only problem was it is all in Italian and I can't read any of it ,I can't even tell if there is a link that will turn it around to english.
But thanks much.
Morningstar
User avatar
liviomoreno
Master
Master
Posts: 7116
Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Surname "ZONA"

Post by liviomoreno »

Morningstar wrote:Thank you
I wentintothe Trieste Italy sight via this site and found a lot of stuff concerning the name Zona by just typeing in the name in its search box,only problem was it is all in Italian and I can't read any of it ,I can't even tell if there is a link that will turn it around to english.
But thanks much.
Morningstar
As I said in my previous post there is only one individual with surname Zona.
In Italian the word "zona" means area, zone, place; all the other stuff that you saw with the word zona refer to local agencies (Ente) for the industrial area of Trieste, and there is also a Police office...
User avatar
Sirena
Elite
Elite
Posts: 250
Joined: 16 Aug 2007, 00:00
Location: Rhode Island

Re: Surname "ZONA"

Post by Sirena »

Pinni might be short for Giuseppe...Giuseppini.......Joey
Post Reply