Having trouble locating my ancsetors
Re: Having trouble locating my ancsetors
Thats ok Maestra - I did find an Obit for Angela Vedete. It is listed under a Mrs. Luigi Vedette, a common misspelling for the last name. So I do now know when she died and her parents names. As far as I know most of the ancestors are from Utica.
Re: Having trouble locating my ancsetors
Biff -
I have to tell you I have found the most interesting stuff out about my family from the Fulton website. Everything from obits, to engagement announcements, to some stuff I am sure I wanted to know...
thanks again!
I am still trying to hunt Angela Montemurro down. I did manage to find her obit, but nothing else.
I have to tell you I have found the most interesting stuff out about my family from the Fulton website. Everything from obits, to engagement announcements, to some stuff I am sure I wanted to know...
thanks again!
I am still trying to hunt Angela Montemurro down. I did manage to find her obit, but nothing else.
Re: Having trouble locating my ancsetors
Christine,
Take a look at this 1907 manifest and let me know what you think.
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0010
It sure looks like Luigi Videtta's son Nicola travelling with Luigi's mother (Maria) Grazia Pierro?
But look at Nicola's mother's name Filomena Scarrigliata?
Biff
Take a look at this 1907 manifest and let me know what you think.
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0010
It sure looks like Luigi Videtta's son Nicola travelling with Luigi's mother (Maria) Grazia Pierro?
But look at Nicola's mother's name Filomena Scarrigliata?
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Having trouble locating my ancsetors
Biff,
I just don't know. I am very sure that Luigi wife was Angela Montemurro. Double checked the obit I found on the Fulton site for Luigi and I have a copy of my grandparents marriage license with her maiden name too. They are related to Luigi Videtta because the addresses are the same on both manifests, same commune of Italy, etc. Everything fits, but Filomena Scarrigliata.... I really do wish I could find Mary Vedete's (Luigi's mom) obit. That might be helpful.
That side of the family is trouble for me. And unfortunetly there is no one alive who would know the answers to my questions. My mom knows very little and my uncle even less. Angela died before they were born and they seledom saw Luigi. So there it is....
Thanks again! They have to be out there somewhere.
Christine
I just don't know. I am very sure that Luigi wife was Angela Montemurro. Double checked the obit I found on the Fulton site for Luigi and I have a copy of my grandparents marriage license with her maiden name too. They are related to Luigi Videtta because the addresses are the same on both manifests, same commune of Italy, etc. Everything fits, but Filomena Scarrigliata.... I really do wish I could find Mary Vedete's (Luigi's mom) obit. That might be helpful.
That side of the family is trouble for me. And unfortunetly there is no one alive who would know the answers to my questions. My mom knows very little and my uncle even less. Angela died before they were born and they seledom saw Luigi. So there it is....
Thanks again! They have to be out there somewhere.
Christine
Re: Having trouble locating my ancsetors
Is the marriage license from New York or Italy?cvwalters wrote:Biff,
I have a copy of my grandparents marriage license with her maiden name too. Christine
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Having trouble locating my ancsetors
Biff,
The marriage license is from the the state of NY. My grandparents were born in the US. My grandpa Sam is Luigi and Angela's son. Many years ago my mom wrote one of her aunts (Luigi and Angela's daughter) to find out Angela's maiden name, and it was Montemurro or some variation of it.
Christine
The marriage license is from the the state of NY. My grandparents were born in the US. My grandpa Sam is Luigi and Angela's son. Many years ago my mom wrote one of her aunts (Luigi and Angela's daughter) to find out Angela's maiden name, and it was Montemurro or some variation of it.
Christine
Re: Having trouble locating my ancsetors
Since the Nicola Videtta on the 1907 manifest was born in Italy, any chance that Angela was Luigi's second wife?
Biff
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Having trouble locating my ancsetors
You know, my mom and I have discussed possibilites of different marriages with Luigi. Infact in the 1920 and 1930 census, Luigi's wife's name is listed as Mary. Which made we wonder if she was an Angela Marie. According to his obit and Angela's obit, they were married in 1901 in Italy and great uncle Nick was born in about 1903.
But with this family I think anyting is possible. I am searching for Nick's obit right now. Maybe there will be something useful in there.
Christine
But with this family I think anyting is possible. I am searching for Nick's obit right now. Maybe there will be something useful in there.
Christine
Re: Having trouble locating my ancsetors
BIff -
I have found great uncle Nick's obit and it lists his birthplace as the Province of Potenza, which would be the same place Luigi, Nicola, Filomena and Maria Grazia were from...
So again who knows!
Christine
I have found great uncle Nick's obit and it lists his birthplace as the Province of Potenza, which would be the same place Luigi, Nicola, Filomena and Maria Grazia were from...
So again who knows!
Christine
Re: Having trouble locating my ancsetors
I was able to confirm today that this information is indeed correct about Vittoria and her children entry into the US! I received my requested copy of my great-grandparents NY state marriage licenses today. It confirmed Vittoria's maiden name. And now for the first time in my family's history I am able to tell my remaining Great Aunts, their parents wedding aniversary!
Re: Having trouble locating my ancsetors
If you have Nicola Videtta's birthdate, you might consider writing to the town of Pignola for a copy of his birth act from the town register which will include his father and mother's names.cvwalters wrote:BIff -
I have found great uncle Nick's obit and it lists his birthplace as the Province of Potenza, which would be the same place Luigi, Nicola, Filomena and Maria Grazia were from...
So again who knows!
Christine
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Having trouble locating my ancsetors
If you have Nicola Videtta's birthdate, you might consider writing to the town of Pignola for a copy of his birth act from the town register which will include his father and mother's names.
Biff
Biff- There was no birthdate in this obit. And he was still working when he died, so there is no SS death index listing for him. So all I have for him is a approximate year of birth.
I am curious about requesting from Italy. How does one go about requesting info from the Communes? And can I request info on Nick, even though I am not a direct line ancestor? I was thinking about requesting Luigi and Angela's marriage certificate.
Thanks again! Christine
Biff
Biff- There was no birthdate in this obit. And he was still working when he died, so there is no SS death index listing for him. So all I have for him is a approximate year of birth.
I am curious about requesting from Italy. How does one go about requesting info from the Communes? And can I request info on Nick, even though I am not a direct line ancestor? I was thinking about requesting Luigi and Angela's marriage certificate.
Thanks again! Christine
Re: Having trouble locating my ancsetors
Update!!!!!
I realized that Luigi Vedete was a naturalized citizen since he had SS death index listing. So I requested his naturalization paper work from Oneida County and I recieved it today..... And the verdict is in.....
Maestra and Biff.... It was the correct Manifest for Luigi Videtta, the papers confirmed the information. Also it has all of his children's birthday listed, the date he married and where, also the date his wife came to America, Jan. 3, 1907. That last date is a day off from the Manifest for Nicola you found, Biff. Also Luigi apparently was born in Palermo, but his wife was born in Pignola, which I believe is where Nicola was born.
Also I, through a google search for "Coriale". I was discovered someone who had a family website and was looking for "Coriale's" for genealogy. And after sending him and email with my ancestor's info, he emailed back confirming we are distant cousins somehow!!!! We are going to try and combine our information together to see how our ancestors are related and how far back we can go to create a family tree! I was so excited!
Thanks to everyone again for the help!
I realized that Luigi Vedete was a naturalized citizen since he had SS death index listing. So I requested his naturalization paper work from Oneida County and I recieved it today..... And the verdict is in.....
Maestra and Biff.... It was the correct Manifest for Luigi Videtta, the papers confirmed the information. Also it has all of his children's birthday listed, the date he married and where, also the date his wife came to America, Jan. 3, 1907. That last date is a day off from the Manifest for Nicola you found, Biff. Also Luigi apparently was born in Palermo, but his wife was born in Pignola, which I believe is where Nicola was born.
Also I, through a google search for "Coriale". I was discovered someone who had a family website and was looking for "Coriale's" for genealogy. And after sending him and email with my ancestor's info, he emailed back confirming we are distant cousins somehow!!!! We are going to try and combine our information together to see how our ancestors are related and how far back we can go to create a family tree! I was so excited!
Thanks to everyone again for the help!
- antoniocoriale
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 23 Nov 2010, 18:31
Re: Having trouble locating my ancsetors
Hello Christine, I have some answers to your questions. GiovanniBattista Coriale, your great grandmother's brother who went back to Italy..is my grandfather, who had 7 children - 4 girls and 3 boys. I went to Scandale in September and visited with 3 of them. The other 4 passed away, which are my aunts and uncles. I knew about your great grandmother because when I was growing up she used to send parcels to my grandmother and grandfather who passed away in 1952. We use to get so excited every now and then. I have lived in Canada for the past 37 years, but my distant family still lives in Italy, so I go and visit every 2 years. I saw pictures of your great grandmother with Uncle Giuseppe and your grandfather Santo Graziani, etc. Anyway if you would like to get in touch with me, my e-mail address is folgore72@hotmail.com. My name is Antonio Coriale and I was born in Scandale as well.

