change... my.... Name?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: change... my.... Name?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

ncaprio wrote:Okay... I am a moron! :oops: I just realized I am applying on my MOTHER'S SIDE... here's what the LA Consulate Website says...
IN ACCORDANCE TO ITALIAN LAW THE SON/DAUGHTER MAY NOT HAVE THE EXACT SAME FIRST NAME OF THE LIVING FATHER FROM WHOM HE/SHE DERIVES THE ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP. THE ITALIAN LAW DOES NOT ALLOW NUMERALS IN THE FIRST, MIDDLE OR LAST NAME. IF YOU HAVE IT YOU MUST AMEND THE CERTIFICATE IN THE COURT WHERE THE VITAL RECORD WAS ISSUED
"...from whom he/she is deriving citizenship..." is the most important part... I'm not deriving citizenship from my Father... (although I could - but it would be much more complicated).. so it's not an issue!

Okay - now back to your regularly scheduled programing! :roll:
So then I was given a pass on "Carmine" because my father was deceased already at the time I filed my application for recognition? Hmmm....
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: change... my.... Name?

Post by mler »

No, I think you were given a pass on Carmine because that is your legal name. It's not illegal for a son to take his father's name in this country and, since in Italy it's the birth certificate that prevails, what's there is there. Probably drives them crazy though. :wink:
User avatar
MST995
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 50
Joined: 12 May 2010, 14:18

Re: change... my.... Name?

Post by MST995 »

Wow, that's an interesting find... I too am a Jr. but I am applying on my mother's side so I guess it wouldn't matter for me either.
Post Reply