help needed to find town of ancestors
- DebiHarbuck
- Elite

- Posts: 353
- Joined: 11 Aug 2010, 23:52
Re: help needed to find town of ancestors
Dgal, they are scanned and indexed at Ancestry. Do you know where Peter lived in 1918?
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
Re: help needed to find town of ancestors
In addition to getting WWI records through ancestry.com, you can get them from the NARA. The WWI draft registration cards are housed in the regional office in Atlanta Ga. They have a form for online ordering. It costs $5.00, which includes reproduction and mailing costs.
http://www.archives.gov/research/military/ww1.html
There is an option for online ordering. You just have to register with a username and password.
I had to order the WWI draft registration card for my husband's one grandfather. His name came up on ancestry.com, but ancestry had scanned the wrong image. Someone checked all of the images preceding and after the one and the entire batch was scanned with the wrong indexes. I then ordered the card from the NARA by filling out the online form. You need to give an address where the person resided. Use the address from the 1920 census, if you don't know where they were in 1917/early 1918 when the registration took place. I did that, plus I had his address in 1916 when he married in the Bronx, NY, so I added that information in the box they provide for additional info. I used a credit card to order on a Sunday night, and I had the copy in Thursday's mail.
Just a suggestion for anyone who has a problem getting the images from ancestry.com
I have always had luck ordering records from the NARA (National Archives Records Administration) -website is www.nara.gov
Peg
http://www.archives.gov/research/military/ww1.html
There is an option for online ordering. You just have to register with a username and password.
I had to order the WWI draft registration card for my husband's one grandfather. His name came up on ancestry.com, but ancestry had scanned the wrong image. Someone checked all of the images preceding and after the one and the entire batch was scanned with the wrong indexes. I then ordered the card from the NARA by filling out the online form. You need to give an address where the person resided. Use the address from the 1920 census, if you don't know where they were in 1917/early 1918 when the registration took place. I did that, plus I had his address in 1916 when he married in the Bronx, NY, so I added that information in the box they provide for additional info. I used a credit card to order on a Sunday night, and I had the copy in Thursday's mail.
Just a suggestion for anyone who has a problem getting the images from ancestry.com
I have always had luck ordering records from the NARA (National Archives Records Administration) -website is www.nara.gov
Peg
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: help needed to find town of ancestors
Yes, I can read the "France" part, but wondering why it is followed by "It"?DebiHarbuck wrote:I'm not sure what the 1910 census says as a birthplace for Peter...but that says "France" for Louise.johnnyonthespot wrote: Also, I am not entirely sure what it says for the birthplace of Louise and of Peter...
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- DebiHarbuck
- Elite

- Posts: 353
- Joined: 11 Aug 2010, 23:52
Re: help needed to find town of ancestors
Carmine, perhaps to indicate "Italian citizen born in France"?
Also, Peg I've had sort of the same problem with WWI draft cards at Ancestry. For the portion of Manhattan that my family is indexed with, the images are 15 cards off in some sections and 20 cards off in others. So, if the image pulls up at #420, I have to jump back to #405 or #400 to see the actual record I want.
EDIT: could the place of Peter's birth be listed as "OST IT"...maybe "Italian citizen born in Austria"? Just a thought.
Also, Peg I've had sort of the same problem with WWI draft cards at Ancestry. For the portion of Manhattan that my family is indexed with, the images are 15 cards off in some sections and 20 cards off in others. So, if the image pulls up at #420, I have to jump back to #405 or #400 to see the actual record I want.
EDIT: could the place of Peter's birth be listed as "OST IT"...maybe "Italian citizen born in Austria"? Just a thought.
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: help needed to find town of ancestors
Peter's WWI draft registration card:Dgal wrote:BTW Debi, how do you get WWI records?

The birthdate is exactly two years off - which begs the question, which is his real birth year?
Next-of-kin looks good and height, weight, eyes and hair color are all a good match to the WWII card.
See this thread for an explanation of how you might obtain a clearer copy: http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15686/
Here is a clean copy of a blank card:

Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: help needed to find town of ancestors
This draft card with birth year 1885 might also bring the 1906 manifest in my earlier post back into play.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: help needed to find town of ancestors
Carmine thanks for the WWI view. I was able to get on Ancestry and found it too. I know there is a 2 yr. discrepancy on the wwI card. wwII card, his death certificate and tombstone all have 1887. And the 1910 census has him at 23 yrs of age so that's why I go with 1887. The person you found on 1906 manifest was not headed to new york and the names that were referenced as his rendezvous I have never heard of. I did however find a Pietro arriving in 11/1895 an 8 yr, old boy seemed to be travelling alone. There were no other Anselmi's listed. I couldn't find rendezvous info. and that would determine if this was him. He left from the port of Havre which makes some sense for if he was left with relatives for 2 years than they were probably from France as I think his mother had some connections there. I wonder if I called Ellis Island organization if they could find records on who the boy travelled with if anyone and who they were releasing him to.
