recap of philly appintment yesterday- long post sorry
- sceaminmonkey
- Master

- Posts: 525
- Joined: 12 Sep 2010, 19:39
Re: recap of philly appintment yesterday- long post sorry
Idactually like to hear some personal experience to I'll be there this summer but am very concerned about that
Re: recap of philly appintment yesterday- long post sorry
A forum post about your opinion on Italian health care would be very welcome. I am planning on retiring in Italy in about 7 years so any thoughts would be nice to hear.
Re: recap of philly appintment yesterday- long post sorry
Apologize to the OP for continuing to go off topic. This is not intended to counter what jennabet has posted, but only to add additional insight - healthcare varies greatly by region, not just in quality and access, but with costs as well. It isn't always free, and isn't always great. (Especially if you choose to see a specialist or choose to have a certain type of physical therapy that isn't offered to you.)
Naturally, people will have their own opinions based on their own personal experiences, but if you want to read from a broad spectrum of individuals' experiences, I suggest visiting the healthcare sub-section of the expatsinitaly forum. Individuals who live in Italy post about their actual experiences dealing with everything from having a baby to routine doctor visits (and everything in between).
I also lived in Italy for about 10 years, just moving a couple months ago. I was a paying patient, and a citizen while there and what I experienced was probably a little different than what jennabet experienced. My Italian friends and neighbors had varied experiences with the system as well, in terms of paying out of pocket for specialty care or if they didn't want to wait an extended period of time for an appointment. Like I said, each individual will have their own opinions based upon their own experiences.
Naturally, people will have their own opinions based on their own personal experiences, but if you want to read from a broad spectrum of individuals' experiences, I suggest visiting the healthcare sub-section of the expatsinitaly forum. Individuals who live in Italy post about their actual experiences dealing with everything from having a baby to routine doctor visits (and everything in between).
I also lived in Italy for about 10 years, just moving a couple months ago. I was a paying patient, and a citizen while there and what I experienced was probably a little different than what jennabet experienced. My Italian friends and neighbors had varied experiences with the system as well, in terms of paying out of pocket for specialty care or if they didn't want to wait an extended period of time for an appointment. Like I said, each individual will have their own opinions based upon their own experiences.
- italianfrombuffalo
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 14 Jan 2011, 09:40
Re: recap of philly appintment yesterday- long post sorry
yes, this is typical for countries with a social system. in germany we too have really good health care and you barely ever pay.musaccosteve wrote:Wow!! That is amazing. Is this typical in Europe?
- kids till 18 get everything free (exams, doctor visits, medication etc., even birth control)
- over 18 you pay 10 euro per quarter of the year. for example when you go to your doctor in january (first quarter is jan-feb-mar) you will pay 10 euro. if you need to see another doctor or specialist you will get a referral from the nurse. if then next time you go to your doctor in october you pay again 10 euro and that is good for the rest of the year.
- prescriptions costs 5 euro co-pay in the pharmacy. but "simple" medication like pain killers or something against a cold is not covered (but that only costs a few euro).
- going to the ER costs 10 euro per quarter too though. even if you already paid that at your doctor's office.
- everybody gets public health care. even if you get welfare. there is no "i can't afford to go to the doctor"
and this is with the public health care! having a private health care offers even more advantages (like no waiting times for appointments, better and special treatments and more).
Re: recap of philly appintment yesterday- long post sorry
Thank you both for your posts. 
Re: recap of philly appintment yesterday- long post sorry
Agree with Kontessa. An Italian will never have to worry about losing his house because of medical bills. If you're an Italian citizen, you can count on your US $4,200 a year health insurance tab, which doesn't include the deductible and co-pays, going away. That's $4,200 a year extra to improve your quality of life. Why should you give it to your American doctor so he can drive a Maserati if you don't have to?
Re: recap of philly appintment yesterday- long post sorry
Meant to say I agree with italianfrombuffalo.
Re: recap of philly appintment yesterday- long post sorry
Kontessa, since you're an Italian citizen and lived in Italy for ten years, instead of directing us elsewhere, why don't you be specific about your own experience with the Italian healthcare system -- whether or not you paid or used the free services?
- musaccosteve
- Veteran

- Posts: 115
- Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 19:27
Re: recap of philly appintment yesterday- long post sorry
Yes... Please do.
Re: recap of philly appintment yesterday- long post sorry
Again, my post was not meant to counter anything anyone has already noted, to be argumentative or negative, but merely to add an additional opinion based on my own personal experience. (Done with no intention of offending anyone.
) My suggestion for people to read posts elsewhere in re to healthcare (expats forum) was intended to give those interested in the issue the opportunity to read from a broad spectrum of information based on a variety of personal experiences - both positive and negative. To be frank, there aren't many posts here on the topic, so I made the suggestion in the hopes to help those in need of information. As for me personally, I was both a fee-paying patient and a recipient of no-fee services. I received routine and outpatient care, and spent time in a hospital while there. I had both positive and negative experiences. Again, no offense was intended by my posts.
- musaccosteve
- Veteran

- Posts: 115
- Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 19:27
Re: recap of philly appintment yesterday- long post sorry
I don't think anyone considered your post negative. We just want (at least I do) to hear of your specific experiences both negative and positive with Italy's health care system.
Thank you,
Steve
Thank you,
Steve
Re: recap of philly appintment yesterday- long post sorry
Kontessa, i agree with Steve and do not think anyone would find your posts negative.
I also agree with your recomendation to look at many different points of view.
Thanks,
Drew
I also agree with your recomendation to look at many different points of view.
Thanks,
Drew
