Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
Victorlm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: 29 Sep 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Post by Victorlm »

dchristiani wrote:It has everything to do with genealogy. It is learning about the people and the past. It is learning abut a different way our ancestors communicated with one another

I agree, because it might throw light onto the present communication or lack thereof. Unfortunately, there isn't much communication in spite of an overload of information. Fortunately, there are forums like these to explore our past and our ways so that we can also understand our future.
Victor
User avatar
ptimber
Master
Master
Posts: 5056
Joined: 01 Jan 1970, 01:00
Location: ny

Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Post by ptimber »

What is this. This forum is not flypaper for freaks!. Peter
User avatar
Victorlm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: 29 Sep 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Post by Victorlm »

ptimber wrote:What is this. This forum is not flypaper for freaks!. Peter
I agree, but I want to benefit from the knowledge of other people (including YOU); I find I learn the most from those that challenge me the most, be it positive or negative.
Victor
User avatar
Essgee
Master
Master
Posts: 777
Joined: 12 Mar 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Post by Essgee »

Victorlm wrote:Someone mentioned their name and they got a strong negative reaction from an Italian native? What kind of inferences could people make from a last name?
Victor
Times change...but if you go back over a hundred years ago, names were very specific to a region. There were exceptions to be sure. But many names were specific to a region and the different spellings of the same name specific to a town within that region. Like DiLalla or DiLiella.

If you asked your great grandfather where this name or that name originated, they would be able to tell you by the name alone. Today, as many moved from the country to the cities, the names have moved as well. But many names still remain specific to one area. In the US we are not used to this. If you name is Smith, you could have been born in any part of the country...even 300 years ago. But in Italy, 300 years ago, chances are your surname was not everywhere...only in a specified area.

Go and search your roots....do not let others sway you. Your name has the dignity you give it...nothing more or nothing less...if is important to you, who cares what other's believe?
User avatar
ptimber
Master
Master
Posts: 5056
Joined: 01 Jan 1970, 01:00
Location: ny

Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Post by ptimber »

Had you spent more time studying genealogy you would not have to make inquiries reagrding your own family genealogy. Any connectionbetween your reality and mine is purely coincidental. Your whiney-butt intellectual comments about genealogy and those of your ilk are nothing more than the screw up fairies visiting this down to earth website. From this vantage point there are just too many freaks and not enough circuses for such sensitive airborne people like yourselves.
User avatar
Victorlm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: 29 Sep 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Post by Victorlm »

ptimber wrote:Had you spent more time studying genealogy you would not have to make inquiries reagrding your own family genealogy. Any connectionbetween your reality and mine is purely coincidental. Your whiney-butt intellectual comments about genealogy and those of your ilk are nothing more than the screw up fairies visiting this down to earth website. From this vantage point there are just too many freaks and not enough circuses for such sensitive airborne people like yourselves.
I think you're just trying to impress people with your mighty intellect, stinging wit and moral authority. Keep it up, just don't be indifferent, that's one thing I cannot stand.
Victor
User avatar
ptimber
Master
Master
Posts: 5056
Joined: 01 Jan 1970, 01:00
Location: ny

Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Post by ptimber »

UH-OH I am already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth. Peter
User avatar
Victorlm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: 29 Sep 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Post by Victorlm »

I fully agree with that, I'm tired of being judged by a name and it makes me even more determined to proudly display it to the world because when I achieve something big, credit will be given where credit is due. I also never liked the custom of anglicizing names because our collective contribution gets obliterated by erasing the name of our ancestors, it's almost a betrayal of our past.
Victor

I liked what you said:
"Go and search your roots....do not let others sway you. Your name has the dignity you give it...nothing more or nothing less...if is important to you, who cares what other's believe".
User avatar
ptimber
Master
Master
Posts: 5056
Joined: 01 Jan 1970, 01:00
Location: ny

Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Post by ptimber »

I did not say that. It was a genuine article from another poster whose contributions usually outshine anything I offer. Peter
User avatar
Victorlm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: 29 Sep 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Post by Victorlm »

SciBirg wrote:I talked to a guy from Sicilia once, and he said that his name got a negative reaction from northern Italians because it was very obviously a southern Italian name. He said that northern Italians look down their noses at the impoverished south.

I don't know if this goes as a rule but it is worth considering.
I was appalled reading the history of oppression throughout the centuries, I think a Marshall Plan of reparations would be a good start. There's a historical precedent for today's poverty.
Victor
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1061
Joined: 19 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Post by brujaojos »

ptimber wrote:Had you spent more time studying genealogy you would not have to make inquiries reagrding your own family genealogy. Any connectionbetween your reality and mine is purely coincidental. Your whiney-butt intellectual comments about genealogy and those of your ilk are nothing more than the screw up fairies visiting this down to earth website. From this vantage point there are just too many freaks and not enough circuses for such sensitive airborne people like yourselves.
Peter!

You forgot the new rules!

ItalianGenealogy.com operates a three strike policy. Users will be warned a maximum of three times for any and all offences in a three month period. If the need arises for a fourth warning a temporary ban will be put in place of between 1 to 7 days.
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
agrigentosicula
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 20 Oct 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Post by agrigentosicula »

ptimber wrote:Dear Vineviz I am shocked that even you got sucked into this head game. No one speaks dialect anymore in Italy. it is more a dying thing among seniors and not part of everyday life. The question that is being brought up is divisive and has no place in a genealogy forum and so ZI question the motives..Here you are dealing with a subject matter that should be dealt with privately and not taking up GENEALOGY TIME with Calculated bigotry. I am really surprised at you since his other inquiries are equally scurrilous and you got taken in. Peter
Peter, where in Italy do you live? I know for a fact that in Sicily the dialect is still widely spoken and enjoyed by the people. Ever hear of frunti nazziunali siciliani? I may be a new member here, but it isn't nice to say those things! Most likely, you don't hear 'dialects' (some of which are LANGUAGES linguistically and historically, yet are dialects politically) because you probably don't speak them! Simple as that. Sicilians will only speak the dialect amongst each other. There is no need to speak Sicilian to a Tuscan or a Roman. You catch my drift?
User avatar
ptimber
Master
Master
Posts: 5056
Joined: 01 Jan 1970, 01:00
Location: ny

Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Post by ptimber »

I do not reside in Italy but in the USA and I suspect that the Sicilian dialect is spoken by the older people in Sicily and not among the student and young people today. I know Siclian is a language and have read the Book MALDITTU LA LINGUA by Vincenzo Ancona as well as TRADUZIONE E PESIE IN DIALETTO MATERANO (basilicata) and am conversant as well in Dialects of Puglia having spent much time in these areas. I am American born and educated and can speak Italian and Spanish fluently..................................Siddu la genti imparassi a campari,pigghiannu chista vita a minni futtu,stu munnu fussi postu di scialari.....Peter
agrigentosicula
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 20 Oct 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Post by agrigentosicula »

ptimber wrote:I do not reside in Italy but in the USA and I suspect that the Sicilian dialect is spoken by the older people in Sicily and not among the student and young people today. I know Siclian is a language and have read the Book MALDITTU LA LINGUA by Vincenzo Ancona as well as TRADUZIONE E PESIE IN DIALETTO MATERANO (basilicata) and am conversant as well in Dialects of Puglia having spent much time in these areas. I am American born and educated and can speak Italian and Spanish fluently..................................Siddu la genti imparassi a campari,pigghiannu chista vita a minni futtu,stu munnu fussi postu di scialari.....Peter
Primu dû tuttu: mi schiaci (unu si po diciri 'dispiaci' puru.. ma ti parru comu nu sicilianu veru! :lol: ). Nun sapeva ca 'miricanu sì tu. Sapeva ca eri 'talianu.

Allura, unn'è veru ca nuddu parra sicilianu n Sicilia! Zoccu chi mi scrivistu fu na pocu sgarbatu. Tutti (o propriu siciliani assai) si sentunu accussì. Tuttudugnu sannu parrari u sicilianu, a mia mi pari ca nu fattu d'essenu sicilianu è! A genti giuvini parra 'talianu nni scoli ma nni strati strati si parra sicilianu a l'unu e l'àutru. Cu a famigghia, ancora òi, u sicilianu è 'mpurtanti 'mpurtanti. Penzu ca u sicilianu av'a esseri 'mparatu nni scoli. Speru lu successi a prestu!!

Cu rispettu
Audra
User avatar
ptimber
Master
Master
Posts: 5056
Joined: 01 Jan 1970, 01:00
Location: ny

Re: Can you tell what part of Italy I am by the last name?

Post by ptimber »

Sinda chiumegghia di me!! Peter (Basilicata)
Post Reply