The Benedetto's are from Faeto Italy. My gr grandfather Vincenzo Gurrera came over from Palermo in 1902. The father Donato Benedetto came over 1910 with his dau. to live with br-in-law(Gurrera). These are the only two I have found. Checked ellis island, family and census records. They are cousins and my family was and still are in west virginia. this is where my problem starts. Most of the family that are alvie barely remember them and what happened to them. Sorry for the confusion. Hope this is more helpful.
surname help please
- blueangel64
- Newbie

- Posts: 6
- Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:00
- Contact:
Re: surname help please
O.k. Here goes--sorry for the fact i didn't give more info.
The Benedetto's are from Faeto Italy. My gr grandfather Vincenzo Gurrera came over from Palermo in 1902. The father Donato Benedetto came over 1910 with his dau. to live with br-in-law(Gurrera). These are the only two I have found. Checked ellis island, family and census records. They are cousins and my family was and still are in west virginia. this is where my problem starts. Most of the family that are alvie barely remember them and what happened to them. Sorry for the confusion. Hope this is more helpful.
The Benedetto's are from Faeto Italy. My gr grandfather Vincenzo Gurrera came over from Palermo in 1902. The father Donato Benedetto came over 1910 with his dau. to live with br-in-law(Gurrera). These are the only two I have found. Checked ellis island, family and census records. They are cousins and my family was and still are in west virginia. this is where my problem starts. Most of the family that are alvie barely remember them and what happened to them. Sorry for the confusion. Hope this is more helpful.
Re: surname help please
Thank you for the email.
Found some info for you ... really hope I am on the right "boat" 8O
Vincenzo from Campofelice, arriving in 1902, was single, going to his brother in law’s... will need more time to figure out the b-i-l name...
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 5133020025
Vincenzo Gurerra boat record about 10 years later- married (born about 1882) living in Monessen, PA, wife is Anna Sa??cone???? in Italy... again, my eyes are giving me a hard time...
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0099%2ETIF
First Name: Vincenzo (Brother mentioned is Santo)
Last Name: Gurrera
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Mon..., Pa.
Date of Arrival: October 05, 1913
Age at Arrival:  31y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: Kaiser Franz Josef I
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0030
==============
Found a Santo who’s brother is Vincenzo, and father in Italy is Giuseppe!
First Name: Santo (born 1889)
Last Name: Gurrera
Ethnicity: Italy, South
Last Place of Residence: Campofelice, Sicily
Date of Arrival: June 06, 1912
Age at Arrival:  23y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: Sant Anna
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0009
page 1
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0331%2ETIF
page 2
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0922090372
OK, so far, we have a younger brother Santo and Vincenzo who's father is Giuseppe - all from Campofelice. Santo and Vincenzo were living in Monessen, PA... at this point, we could maybe look for a census...
only if this info is correct....
and if it wasn't
Look forward to hearing from you,
mfjp
Found some info for you ... really hope I am on the right "boat" 8O
Vincenzo from Campofelice, arriving in 1902, was single, going to his brother in law’s... will need more time to figure out the b-i-l name...
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 5133020025
Vincenzo Gurerra boat record about 10 years later- married (born about 1882) living in Monessen, PA, wife is Anna Sa??cone???? in Italy... again, my eyes are giving me a hard time...
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0099%2ETIF
First Name: Vincenzo (Brother mentioned is Santo)
Last Name: Gurrera
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Mon..., Pa.
Date of Arrival: October 05, 1913
Age at Arrival:  31y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: Kaiser Franz Josef I
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0030
==============
Found a Santo who’s brother is Vincenzo, and father in Italy is Giuseppe!
First Name: Santo (born 1889)
Last Name: Gurrera
Ethnicity: Italy, South
Last Place of Residence: Campofelice, Sicily
Date of Arrival: June 06, 1912
Age at Arrival:  23y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: Sant Anna
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0009
page 1
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0331%2ETIF
page 2
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0922090372
OK, so far, we have a younger brother Santo and Vincenzo who's father is Giuseppe - all from Campofelice. Santo and Vincenzo were living in Monessen, PA... at this point, we could maybe look for a census...
only if this info is correct....
Look forward to hearing from you,
mfjp
- blueangel64
- Newbie

- Posts: 6
- Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:00
- Contact:
Re: surname help please
Yes, that is all correct. Except that Vincenzo's wife was Antonia Taravella.
The brothers are also correct. I have them also. Vincenzo and Santo are brothers. their father was pasquale, their grandfather was Lorenzo and their gr-grandfather was Guiseppe. Guiseppe was born 1803, lorenzo in 1826, Pasquale 1859 and Vincenzo in 1882. I still haven't quite got the Monesson connection. Because my fathers mother(nora Endrizzi Gurrera) was born there to an Endrizzi and a martini. She married my grandfather Gurrera. Until lately did I know that any of the Gurrera's lived in Monesson. Great Job! Thanks for the clairification. Now maybe I can find the brothers families and more cousins. Are you a cousin?
Thanks
Lynda
The brothers are also correct. I have them also. Vincenzo and Santo are brothers. their father was pasquale, their grandfather was Lorenzo and their gr-grandfather was Guiseppe. Guiseppe was born 1803, lorenzo in 1826, Pasquale 1859 and Vincenzo in 1882. I still haven't quite got the Monesson connection. Because my fathers mother(nora Endrizzi Gurrera) was born there to an Endrizzi and a martini. She married my grandfather Gurrera. Until lately did I know that any of the Gurrera's lived in Monesson. Great Job! Thanks for the clairification. Now maybe I can find the brothers families and more cousins. Are you a cousin?
Thanks
Lynda
Re: surname help please
Hi Lynda, I am glad that you found your post!
Ok but... the manifest linked below... it is correct right? (same one I posted in my last message...)
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0099%2ETIF
First Name: Vincenzo Last Name: Gurrera
Ethnicity: Italian, South Last Place of Residence: Mon..., Pa.
Date of Arrival: October 05, 1913 Age at Arrival:  31y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M  Ship of Travel: Kaiser Franz Josef I
-----------------------------------------------
Ok... well... hopefully we can find some info on the Benedettos... since we have a town in PA...

mfjp
Ok but... the manifest linked below... it is correct right? (same one I posted in my last message...)
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0099%2ETIF
First Name: Vincenzo Last Name: Gurrera
Ethnicity: Italian, South Last Place of Residence: Mon..., Pa.
Date of Arrival: October 05, 1913 Age at Arrival:  31y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M  Ship of Travel: Kaiser Franz Josef I
-----------------------------------------------
Ok... well... hopefully we can find some info on the Benedettos... since we have a town in PA...
No.... just like looking for people, and just like this forum.Are you a cousin?
mfjp
Re: surname help please
I guess you've seen this manifest too?? Will link anyways.
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2480150255
First Name: Antonina and little Pasquale... age 3!
Last Name: Taravella
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Campofelice
Date of Arrival: December 02, 1905
Age at Arrival:  20y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  M ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: PRINZESS IRENE
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0011
On their way to Brighton, PA. to father Vincenzo Guerrera 809 N. Avenue... and it does mention something about a brother Giovanni Battista Di (?) Benedetto...
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2480150255
First Name: Antonina and little Pasquale... age 3!
Last Name: Taravella
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Campofelice
Date of Arrival: December 02, 1905
Age at Arrival:  20y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  M ÂÂ
Ship of Travel: PRINZESS IRENE
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0011
On their way to Brighton, PA. to father Vincenzo Guerrera 809 N. Avenue... and it does mention something about a brother Giovanni Battista Di (?) Benedetto...
- blueangel64
- Newbie

- Posts: 6
- Joined: 13 Jan 2005, 00:00
- Contact:
Re: surname help please
Maria,
yes this is wonderful. Sorry to hear that you aren't a cousin. I will ckeck out that town and contact my cousin she lives near there. Asa for the bendetto last name....well it is remembered by a few of the older generation but not much else is. Thanks so much for the great job.

yes this is wonderful. Sorry to hear that you aren't a cousin. I will ckeck out that town and contact my cousin she lives near there. Asa for the bendetto last name....well it is remembered by a few of the older generation but not much else is. Thanks so much for the great job.
- LILLEE0202
- Newbie

- Posts: 7
- Joined: 27 Feb 2005, 00:00
- Location: QUEENS, NY
Re: surname help please
I don't know why but I have a strong feeling that the Benedetto's are DiBenedetto's. Maybe because this is my maiden surname.
