Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by mfjp »

Buona, forget the :oops: !.. I didn't even know what "Minnie" was until a couple of minutes ago... :oops: mfjp
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by mfjp »

1930 Census...
Name Family Members Home in 1930
Joe Romano spouse Maria Romano Helper, Carbon, UT abt 1886 Italy
Maria Romano spouse Joe Romano Helper, Carbon, UT abt 1894   Wife
Filomina Romano Helper, Carbon, UT abt 1916   Daughter
Josephine Romano Helper, Carbon, UT abt 1918   Daughter
Frank Romano Helper, Carbon, UT abt 1921   Son
Rosia Romano Carbon, UT abt 1928   Daughter

This census says he immigrated in 1903

and again, Maria in 1913...
User avatar
jeri71
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: 20 Feb 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by jeri71 »

mfjp wrote:
(Joseph and Mary) might have immigrated with her older sisters Rose or Minnie, sometime around 1910-15. One of them may have had a brother named Frank, I know there is a Frank Romano buried near their graves in Helper, Utah.
This threw me off too... Maria's sister was also a Minnie (Domenica)

Domenica- Minnie, Mamie...

mfjp

oh yes...
That's a tough one. Looks like Tatalvo??
the father mentioned on the manifest- page 2-.... P??aldo?
HOLY COW! That name sounds soo familiar. I remember a long time ago my mom telling me that Maria's MOTHER's name was Domenica.... but not a sister. Am I missing this on the manifest? Or the census? Where does it list the sister's name?

You guys are awesome

jeri
User avatar
jeri71
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: 20 Feb 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by jeri71 »

mfjp wrote:1930 Census...
Name Family Members Home in 1930
Joe Romano spouse Maria Romano Helper, Carbon, UT abt 1886 Italy
Maria Romano spouse Joe Romano Helper, Carbon, UT abt 1894   Wife
Filomina Romano Helper, Carbon, UT abt 1916   Daughter
Josephine Romano Helper, Carbon, UT abt 1918   Daughter
Frank Romano Helper, Carbon, UT abt 1921   Son
Rosia Romano Carbon, UT abt 1928   Daughter

This census says he immigrated in 1903

and again, Maria in 1913...
Fantastic. I always thought they were married in Italy and came over together. This is SO interesting
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1061
Joined: 19 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by brujaojos »

jeri71 wrote: We have searched for the ship manifest for years. No one can remember the exact name of the town in Italy, only that it sounds like "Castelelana or Castelavilla.... or via" Castele-something. That really narrows it down huh? It was in southern Italy

Thank you for all your help!!

jeri :)
Hi Jeri,

Here is a list of Castel.... in Calabria which is in the Southern part of Italy. Maybe hearing some of the names could jog someone's memory.

Have a good one.
Trish

Cassano allo Ionio
Castelsilano
Castiglione Cosentino
Castrolibero/Castelfranco
Castroregio
Castrovillari
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by wldspirit »

Going on Giuseppe (Joseph) Romano for 1903 +/- 2 years, and birthdate
1886, +/- 2 years, I pulled up the following:

http://aolsvc.ellisisland.aol.com/searc ... &dwpdone=1

Good luck :wink:

Lee
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by mfjp »

Well, suanj should be on board very soon... :D buon giorno... ma... che è il nome del padre alla pagina 2...? name of father on page 2

line 14

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0081%2ETIF

mfjp
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by wldspirit »

Out of curiosity.......(always curious.... :oops: ) why is nothing turning up under ssdi? and if ssdi were located, would the original appliction turn up any clues?

the ever curious......
wldspirit
Lee
User avatar
jeri71
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: 20 Feb 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by jeri71 »

wldspirit wrote:Out of curiosity.......(always curious.... :oops: ) why is nothing turning up under ssdi? and if ssdi were located, would the original appliction turn up any clues?

the ever curious......
wldspirit
Lee
what is ssdi? you guys must think I'm a dork, I don't know any of this! :oops:

Did I mention that you're all awesome?
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by mfjp »

you guys must think I'm a dork, I don't know any of this!
Far from it... otherwise you wouldn't get the replies you have been getting... I already figured out how old you might be... and good for you for researching at your age!

Just found this out too...
Lee, the reason why nothing comes up is because ....
"This database is an index to deaths that occurred in Utah between 1905 and 1951."

Giuseppe died in 1956?

I have never ordered an SSDI certificate myself...
but if you go to Ancestry.com you may find some info about about the SSDI... from what I understand, you could get quite a bit of info...

for example... (copied right from Ancestry.com...I won't get sued will I?)

"Modern death certificates have not been standardized throughout the United States; but, like birth certificates, most of them contain the same types of information. Most contemporary death certificates include the deceased's name, sex, race, date of death, age at the time of death, place of death, date of birth, place of birth, marital status, name of spouse, Social Security number, occupation, residence, father's name, mother's name, cause of death, and place of burial. Records from some states provide the birthplace of the deceased's parents. The Social Security number is not always included, but, when it is, it can be invaluable because other records (subject to right-of-privacy laws) may be accessible if you have the Social Security number."

Or maybe call or write to...

Bureau of Vital Statistics and Health Statistics
Utah State Department of Health
288 North 460 West
P.O. Box 16700
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116
User avatar
jeri71
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 49
Joined: 20 Feb 2005, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by jeri71 »

mfjp wrote:
I already figured out how old you might be... and good for you for researching at your age!

:wink:
I have to start now. My whole family is gone, my grandma and grandpa were in their 40's when they had my mom, and now they're both gone. You can see how little we know now, and it was only 2 generations ago! If I don't look this stuff up, and write down all the stories that everyone remembers, it will all be lost. I hate to see my daughter grow up with no idea how fascinating her family history is. So I truly appreciate every bit of help you have all offered.

jeri
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by wldspirit »

social security death index.....when you locate ancestors name thru this method, you can then fill out a form and send for a copy of their original application......which may or may not list key infos.......and nobody thinks your a dork..........age is irrelevant as long as you are using good common sense and some intelligence......even my 17 year old son is helping me scan thru microfilm, and enjoying it. another member, Jim Bianco started his research at a young age.

wldspirit
:D

didn't see explanation above :oops: .........can't get sued.....you gave credit to ancestry......... :wink:
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by wldspirit »

Found a digital newspaper index for Utah, your grandfather is listed below:

george W dallase Wal lase TIP tony PP vinz Slav Sl avassa ussa PP i joe oe romano Roma PP mike W it R kurr k 1 ad pago page prank frank singer PP pete Pla sioni PP pill wm

it's a tax list....which puts him in carbon county in 1913......
here is the website......

http://www.lib.utah.edu/digital/unews/map.html
click on county..........

wldspirit
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by suanj »

mfjp wrote:Hi Jeri,

I did find a 1920 census...

Name:   Joe Romano
Age:   33 years 
Estimated birth year:   1886
Birthplace:   Italy
Race:   White
Home in 1920:   Castle Gate, Carbon, Utah
Roll:   T625_1862 Page:   15A ED:   38 Image:   0032

Please confirm if these are yours, as it will help with other information that can be found.... :wink:

http://img180.exs.cx/img180/8479/rom19202xb.jpg

mfjp
Hi mfjp:
from census 1920 are that

-Joe Romano came in USA in 1904 and Mary in 1913
-Minnie born in Utah
this is right?
If yes is not possible that married in Italy.. why in 1913 Mary only 13 old....
regards, suanj
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Surname - Romano, southern Italy, late 1800's

Post by mfjp »

mfjp wrote:Well, suanj should be on board very soon... :D buon giorno... ma... che è il nome del padre alla pagina 2...? name of father on page 2

line 14

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0081%2ETIF

mfjp
suanj - we need you to translate here too... I wrote this earlier.
Post Reply