Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Emmy - there are a few Michael Defilippis on the US Social Security death indexes - but none of them were born in the right year. There is one that was only one year out. You will find indexes for these on the Mormon site too. He may also have changed his surname. Some of the other people here know better than me how to locate family in the States. I only know abot Scotland I'm afraid
Marisa
PS - there are 5 Michael/Mike Phillips on the US SSDI born in 1894. What was his exact birth date?
Hi Marisa Thanks for the information I'll have a go and see what I find. My late husbands mothers maiden name:Bastianelli- coincidence here because that was my fathers mothers maiden name too but there is no connection. My mother was Scottish. My husbands uncle S. Bastianelli came from just outside the town of Atina, it took about 10 minutes to walk to the town from his house, I'm going back 30 years now. My sister-in-law comes from Atina too her maiden name is DeFiore. On my husbands side he still has a cousin living just outside Atina her maiden name:Bastianelli Her married name is Iannetta. I dont know how to spell the name of the place they live but it sounds like 'Vaccherich' I cant write or speak Italian so its a problem communicating and as I've said its over 30years since I was there.
Who knows we maybe do know each other!
Emmy
I think I remember the place you are talking about, my grandmother used to talk about somewhere that sounded similar. I must ask her next time I see her. My family were also from a hamlet just outside Atina called Cancello. I don't have your husbands names in my tree so far - but I do have lots of Iannettas. As far as I know my Iannettas were from Belmonte Castello. I haven't really started on the part of my family from Atina yet although my Dad keeps making noises that I should do that bit next as that is where our actual name is from - Visocchi.
I too have encountered that problem where the same surnames keep reoccurring in my tree!!! It is done just to confuse!
Keep us posted about how you get on - and if you can think of anything else just post it
Hi Marisa
Vaccareccia sounds more like it I think its when people use the dialect the sound changes slightly the other word you used when you wrote aout the hamlet the word that began with 'c' sound very familiar too. I have been to the site you gave me and I have found the film numbers and the nearest family history centre is in Fife so I will try to speak to someone there at the beginning of the week. While I was on that site you gave me, by pure chance, I have found some more information about my husbands grandparents on his mothers side. So a very BIG thank you to everyone for helping me. I'll keep you posted.
p.s. Marisa, I have a very good friend whose maiden name is Visocchi. You asked about the exact date of Michelango's birth it was May 1894 but we think he may have altered the date of his birth to make himself older so he could go to USA. There is only one MICHELANGELO DEFILIPPIS (it is the only one printed in capital letters)on the Ellis Island lists and it says he left from Naples and arrived USA 1905 aged 18years. that he came from Southern Italy and his place of birth said 'Bitrith' (Which I thought meant British) Seems a coincidence. Thanks again.
That manifest listing seems to be linked to the wrong image. If you go to http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB ... splay=true you will hopefully be able to see the correct one. This Michelangelo was going to stay with his uncle Francis ? - I can't read it - my eyes are all blurry this morning. Not enough coffee in me yet 8O
You will need to give it a minute to get to the right bit - it fills in some of the data itself after a second - and then go to frame 376 line 24.
Unfortunately this manifest does not give his fathers name as some do - so we still don't know if it is him - unless you recognise the uncles surname.
Yes - Vaccareccia in the dialect ends up sounding like 'Vagarej'.
Hi Marisa
I've have tried several times typing in the site you gave me but the only way I get anything coming up on the screen is if I type www.jewishgen.org I have even tried adding the other parts to the address when it came up but nothing happens. Nothing that would take me to frame 376 line 24. The only thing that came up was an Index which was for 1890-1891 linked to Austria Poland and Galcia and Micheangelo wasn't born until 1894. I'm afraid I think I need a wee squirt of WD40 oil in my brain when it comes to computers but I'm willing to try!!!
Thanks for taking the time to look that up for me - Hope you enjoyed the football!
Emmy
Computers would try the patience of a saint!! Right - go to http://www.stevemorse.org/ then about seven links down to 'ship lists'. At 'arrived between' put 29 May 1905, and in ship name put 'Patria'. Click 'search'. The next window should give one item on a list - clisk on the blue link that says 'Patria'. When the window comes up, allow it a second or two to enter the data - you will see the date change at the bottom. In the wee window that says 'frame' take out the '1' and put in '376'. Then scroll down the screen to line 24. It should be Michelangelos! See if that works.
Hi marisa
You are a wealth of information. Thanks for the other link I kept going and I finally mastered it and I found Michelangelo on the ships lists- exciting- I feel like giving myself a pat on the back but its you who should be getting that. but I'm still not sure if its him but the odd thing is It seems to me the uncles surname starts with a G and on my grandads death certificate his mothers maiden name was written down as Gioseppa, the one that you suggested that I try a different spelling=Giuseppa/Giuseppi etc. so if it is him maybe he was going to my grandads uncle. The problem is if he was born in 1894, which it states on his birth certificate ,he would be only 11years old in 1905 could it be possible he could get away with saying he was 18 years old and a labourer?
Your a gem!!
Thanks a million
Emmy
No problem. I love it His age does concern me however. I would look at some of the other Michele Defilippis as well. Look for the names of their relatives. There are also some Michael Defilippis of the right sort of age on the 1930 US census - but I don't have ancestry. Can anyone help with this?