Website Design / HTML

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Post Reply
User avatar
Edmondo
Staff
Staff
Posts: 778
Joined: 11 Jul 2002, 00:00
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Website Design / HTML

Post by Edmondo »

I never made it public but ItalianGenealogy.com can host family websites. The websites can be named like wldspirit.italiangenealogy.com but also delisa.italgen.com. I can also redirect to existing web sites and include e-mail and FTP accounts.

Interested members can contact me by PM.
User avatar
rfornal
Staff
Staff
Posts: 522
Joined: 04 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Website Design / HTML

Post by rfornal »

Edmondo,

Thanks for the information - might be very helpful to some of the members here.

DeLisa,

This is a use of the subdomain feature that I was talking about earler ...
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Website Design / HTML

Post by wldspirit »

This is wonderful Edmondo......once I understand the "how-to" of it all....
I would really like to create a family website.....

Thank you so much!! :D

regards,
DeLisa
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Website Design / HTML

Post by wldspirit »

Bob....now I see......I went to your site and looked around......it is not something I thought I would need......but could be very useful.

although email accounts does not seem to be a feature I would need....except for myself.......

DeLisa
User avatar
rfornal
Staff
Staff
Posts: 522
Joined: 04 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Website Design / HTML

Post by rfornal »

Edmondo,

How much space would be available to members if they chose an option like this?

Would either of these, hosting or redirection, be something that would have to be paid for?

Thanks,
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Website Design / HTML

Post by wldspirit »

As interesting as this is.....I must force myself to go and mow this grass.....
can't wait to check back in!!!!!!
DeLisa
User avatar
rfornal
Staff
Staff
Posts: 522
Joined: 04 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Website Design / HTML

Post by rfornal »

DeLisa,

Glad it's starting to make sense - it's not too difficult, but there is a lot of information to get a hold of; kind of like how to research genealogy - if you can handle one, you can handle the other ...
User avatar
rfornal
Staff
Staff
Posts: 522
Joined: 04 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Website Design / HTML

Post by rfornal »

Have fun ... I'm stuck inside at work for another 2.5 hours ...
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Website Design / HTML

Post by nuccia »

Hi Bob,

I just got in from work and saw this post and although I don't completely understand it..YET...I do find it interesting. 8)

Thank you for taking the time to share all this with us. Its wonderful.

And Edmondo, allowing posters to host their websites here is brilliant. They can take the information found from this site and create their family story. :D :D

Definitely will be following this thread... :D

nuccia :D
User avatar
rfornal
Staff
Staff
Posts: 522
Joined: 04 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Website Design / HTML

Post by rfornal »

Nuccia,

What questions can I answer to help you understand what we've been covering here?

I'd bet that if there's something you don't understand, there are many more out there that also don't understand and won't ask the questions.
User avatar
Edmondo
Staff
Staff
Posts: 778
Joined: 11 Jul 2002, 00:00
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Website Design / HTML

Post by Edmondo »

rfornal wrote:Edmondo,

How much space would be available to members if they chose an option like this?
Would either of these, hosting or redirection, be something that would have to be paid for?

Thanks,
Redirection is free if linked back and if requested I can cloak the real url too. E-mail forwarding I can also do for free.

I have never thought about a price for hosting but it will depend on the needed features, maybe I can do it for free too but sure it will be cheaper compared to normal web hosting providers.

Of course this is only for members of ItalianGenealogy.com otherwise I better can start a real web hosting company :lol:.
User avatar
rfornal
Staff
Staff
Posts: 522
Joined: 04 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Website Design / HTML

Post by rfornal »

Thanks Edmondo.

For those that don't know, redirection is when you enter a web address and you are provided pages from abother address ... for example, you enter www.fornal.org and get pages that are located at www.i-cuhere.com/~bob/genealogy.

This basically means that you host the pages and Edmondo can make it display information you have placed elsewhere.

When he says he can cloak the real URL, that is the address (from the example (www.i-cuhere.com/~bob/genealogy) can be hidden so that the end-user does not see it.
User avatar
Edmondo
Staff
Staff
Posts: 778
Joined: 11 Jul 2002, 00:00
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Website Design / HTML

Post by Edmondo »

For example:

normal: bob.italgen.com
cloaked: fornal.italgen.com

Both links redirect to Bob's genealogy page.

Bob, I asumed you have no problem with this example :lol:
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Website Design / HTML

Post by mfjp »

HA! .... it works....!! clicked the italgen link and took me right over... how cool!!

Can't contribute much to this post, but I certainly enjoy reading about the info provided...

Maria :P
User avatar
Edmondo
Staff
Staff
Posts: 778
Joined: 11 Jul 2002, 00:00
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Website Design / HTML

Post by Edmondo »

Did you also notice the difference between the two links?

The second link does not show the real address of Bob's web site in the address bar but the first link does.
Post Reply