Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Post by nuccia »

Yes she was very young...

My married at 14 as well....I just can't image what that would have been like. 8O Thank God for Mothers!

Thanks for keeping us updated and for the feedback on the info we found. Its always nice to know that someone is following up...keeps us going, you know?

It really is appreciated! :D :D

nuccia :D
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Post by mfjp »

Ok, great!!

What name did she use on her 1914 manifest... ?

I'd want to look at it too.. I've just kickstarted my 3rd wind..

Maria
User avatar
abruscino
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 27 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: California

Re: Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Post by abruscino »

Well thanks for all your help. I've got to hit the sack or I'll be up all night. I'll definitely check back tomorrow, or should I say later today. Thanks again!!
User avatar
abruscino
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 27 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: California

Re: Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Post by abruscino »

mfjp wrote:Ok, great!!

What name did she use on her 1914 manifest... ?

I'd want to look at it too.. I've just kickstarted my 3rd wind..

Maria
She used the name Teresa Somma, and she traveled with Salvadore and it looks like Fortuna, which has to be Florence.

Thanks for your help!!
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Post by nuccia »

Good Night!!!

Maybe we'll get lucky and find something while you sleep!

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Post by nuccia »

Maria...

I just know you're off to find that manifest! :lol: :lol:

Please post it here if you do..I would like to have a look at it, too!

Off to make more coffee I guess. :roll:

nuccia
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Post by mfjp »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: couldn't resist...

Link to 1914 manifest

First Name: Teresa
Last Name: Somma
Ethnicity:
Last Place of Residence: Geunaro changed to U. S. A.
Date of Arrival: Dec 28, 1914
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Duca D'Aosta
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0019

You are right... she was there... I just found it odd that she'd be travelling at this time...

The manifest also states the birthdates of Oct. 16, 1911 and Nov. 23, 1912...

It could also look as if she was there in Jan 1914? :? or since Jan 1914... will review further...

Ok.. off to bed... I'm content...

Maria :P

Wonder if Leo also took another trip over during that time... that means... yes... another manifest search... :P but later... :wink: and no more coffee...

Good Night / Morning Nuccia!!
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Post by nuccia »

Maria you are so predictable when it comes to manifests! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for posting it.

I think I'll go to bed too now...I'm beat so but at least the coffee maker is loaded for tomorrow...I'll need it.

We can complain about our "sleep headaches" in the afternoon!

[marq=right]Goodnight! :D :D [/marq]
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Post by mfjp »

[marq=left] Ya, you too... :P :P [/marq]

Maria :P
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Post by nuccia »

Well looks like this is as close as it gets..talk about a family changing their names! I think this may be them..

1930 United States Federal Census Record
about Patsy Palmese
Name: Patsy Palmese
Home in 1930: North Hempstead, Nassau, New York
Age: 44
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1886
BirthPlace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouses's Name: Mary
Race: White
Occupation:

Education:

Military Service:

Rent Home Value:

Age at First Marriage:

Parents' Birthplace:

View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Patsy Palmese 44
Mary Palmese 44
Frank Palmese 17
Paul Palmese 15
Joseph Palmese 13
Mary Palmese 11
Edwin Palmese 8
Rosie Palmese 7
James Palmese 5
Carmine Palmese 3

Of course...who really knows? Names are close dates are off but its the closest thing I could find. It seems the census taker in the 1920 census did not use the address anywhere so not sure anymore. Need to sleep... 8O

Let us know what your opinion is!
nuccia
User avatar
abruscino
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 27 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: California

Re: Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Post by abruscino »

nuccia wrote:Well looks like this is as close as it gets..talk about a family changing their names! I think this may be them..

1930 United States Federal Census Record
about Patsy Palmese
Name Patsy Palmese
Home in 1930 North Hempstead, Nassau, New York
Age 44
Estimated Birth Year abt 1886
BirthPlace Italy
Relation to Head of House Head
Spouses's Name Mary
Race White
Occupation

Education

Military Service

Rent Home Value

Age at First Marriage

Parents' Birthplace

View Image
Neighbors View others on page
Household Members
Name Age
Patsy Palmese 44
Mary Palmese 44
Frank Palmese 17
Paul Palmese 15
Joseph Palmese 13
Mary Palmese 11
Edwin Palmese 8
Rosie Palmese 7
James Palmese 5
Carmine Palmese 3

Of course...who really knows? Names are close dates are off but its the closest thing I could find. It seems the census taker in the 1920 census did not use the address anywhere so not sure anymore. Need to sleep... 8O

Let us know what your opinion is!
nuccia
I don't think that's it, but I appreciate your effort, especially finding the WWI registration card. I think now I will go through the 1930 census one by one for the town of Westbury and see if I can find them. Thanks again!!
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Post by nuccia »

Knew it was off but thought I post anyway....

Yes, I went through the pages as well. I also used the steve morse website and put in the info that we knew and this was the closest thing I could find. Mind you, it was 5 am...

The person who took the info for the 1920 census seriously goofed...He did not record street numbers and Westbury was crossed out at the top of the page on his section of records.

Hoping that others will join in to help find this census...

We'll keep trying!!!!!

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Post by nuccia »

From the 1914 ship manifest it looks like this is Salvatores SSDI..

Social Security Death Index Record
about Theodore Palma
Name: Theodore Palma
SSN: xxx-xx-xxxx
Last Residence: 11590 Westbury, Nassau, New York, United States of America
Born: 3 Nov 1912
Died: Sep 1975
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951 )

Last residence shows he stilled lived in Westbury...

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
abruscino
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 27 Aug 2006, 00:00
Location: California

Re: Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Post by abruscino »

nuccia wrote:From the 1914 ship manifest it looks like this is Salvatores SSDI..

Social Security Death Index Record
about Theodore Palma
Name Theodore Palma
SSN xxx-xx-xxxx
Last Residence 11590 Westbury, Nassau, New York, United States of America
Born 3 Nov 1912
Died Sep 1975
State (Year) SSN issued New York (Before 1951 )

Last residence shows he stilled lived in Westbury...

nuccia
That's it! Not fun to see name changes like that. Luckily I knew both his given name (Salvadore) which he hated, and Theodore or Ted, which is what he went by. Martin and Carmen I believe are also in the SSDI (one born 1918 and the other 1921 according to the SSDI), but I'm not certain. Although those years would definitely fit in with the rest of them. Actually Marie (as far as I can tell) is still alive. Might not be a bad idea to write her for info. More amazing is that Tessie's youngest sister is still alive (again, as far as I can tell) and I did write to her earlier this week and I am hopefully awaiting a response. I've given up on finding the Palma's in the census, maybe I can find out from those mentioned why they don't show up. Once again, thanks for all your help, and to Maria for hers.
User avatar
Essgee
Master
Master
Posts: 777
Joined: 12 Mar 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Palma in 1920 or 1930 Census

Post by Essgee »

Think that they all just fell off the end of the earth and returned sometime later........don't understand how some people can disappear so completely...particularly when there are so many names to look up!

Palma, Dipalma, Depalma, Palmo, Palmieri, Palmmmmmmmmmmmmm

And then why is Ralph called Bob? Ted made no sense until you realize that Salvatore...or Salvadore and Theodore share the "dore"...and just Assunta is Susan...but is she Caroline? or is that someone else? and then again there is Martin and Teresa....or do they have another name???? And let's not forget that a Rose by any other name is a Rosalia......

I could mention that Old Westbury was known as Westbury at one time, but that there is another Westbury right next to Old Westbury today --meaning that Westbury today is next to Westbury of yesterday (it was beside itself!) so who knows when the names changed????? And Leo died in 1951 in Westbury as well and so I do believe they just went on a long trip sometime in 1930 and missed the census here....or at least in this dimension.........I am feeling strange myself....looked under every bush, shrub, rock, Ted, Jessie, Josephine, Giuseppa, etc.............and not hide nor hair of anyone....

IS there any more info on anyone in this family that could help...

Mom told me there would be days like this.....
Post Reply