GIUFFRE
Re: GIUFFRE
Ok, give me a minute and I will link the above and look for Rosaria.
Meanwhile, I found this but there isn't any image available to view so I can't even confirm..
First Name: Carmela
Last Name: La Cavera
Ethnicity: Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Ventimiglia
Date of Arrival: Jan 31, 1907
Age at Arrival: 23y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Konigin Luise
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0016
By the way..do you also live in Toronto?
Another thing...have you tried writing away for the Social Insurance application for Leonardo? The long form should list the parents names.
nuccia
Meanwhile, I found this but there isn't any image available to view so I can't even confirm..
First Name: Carmela
Last Name: La Cavera
Ethnicity: Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Ventimiglia
Date of Arrival: Jan 31, 1907
Age at Arrival: 23y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Konigin Luise
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0016
By the way..do you also live in Toronto?
Another thing...have you tried writing away for the Social Insurance application for Leonardo? The long form should list the parents names.
nuccia
Re: GIUFFRE
I think that Carmela would be too young to be Leonardo's grandmother. maybe a cousin or something...
I live just north of Toronto. His SI app from Canada? I'm telling you Nuccia, there is a lot now known about this family. In my parents wedding albums, it has my grandfather and before that...nada. I don't think he even knew about his parents if that possible. He was only 14 years old when he came here, but one would think you'd know that info...
I live just north of Toronto. His SI app from Canada? I'm telling you Nuccia, there is a lot now known about this family. In my parents wedding albums, it has my grandfather and before that...nada. I don't think he even knew about his parents if that possible. He was only 14 years old when he came here, but one would think you'd know that info...
Re: GIUFFRE
Ok,
Heres the census info for this family....
1911 Census of Canada Record
about Joseph Giuffre
Name: Joseph Giuffre
Gender: Male
Marital Status: Married
Age: 53
Birth Date: March 1858
Birthplace: Italy
Family Number: 157
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Mary
Immigration Year: 1902
Tribal: Italian
Province: Ontario
District: Toronto West
District Number: 128
Sub-District: Ward 5
Sub-District Number: 14
Place of Habitation: 585 Collage
Census Year: 1911
Page: 15
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Joseph Giuffre 53
Mary Giuffre 45
Joseph Giuffre 17
Rosey Giuffre 12
Augestia Giuffre 11
Samuel Giuffre 4
Mary Giuffre 3
Janner Giuffre 1
1911 Census
nuccia
Heres the census info for this family....
1911 Census of Canada Record
about Joseph Giuffre
Name: Joseph Giuffre
Gender: Male
Marital Status: Married
Age: 53
Birth Date: March 1858
Birthplace: Italy
Family Number: 157
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Mary
Immigration Year: 1902
Tribal: Italian
Province: Ontario
District: Toronto West
District Number: 128
Sub-District: Ward 5
Sub-District Number: 14
Place of Habitation: 585 Collage
Census Year: 1911
Page: 15
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Joseph Giuffre 53
Mary Giuffre 45
Joseph Giuffre 17
Rosey Giuffre 12
Augestia Giuffre 11
Samuel Giuffre 4
Mary Giuffre 3
Janner Giuffre 1
1911 Census
nuccia
Re: GIUFFRE
Don't feel so bad..I went through a similar experience and it worked out. What cemetary was Leonardo buried in and who buried him? Do you have a copy of his death cetificate?
Have you written away to Italy for his birth info? It will also list th names of his parents. Now the family above lived on College Street (not too far from me). Where did Leo live? All will give us clues. Leo was married where again? I can't find the wifes info...but I haven't looked really hard yet. Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate?
Lots of questions for you to answer while I look..
nuccia
Have you written away to Italy for his birth info? It will also list th names of his parents. Now the family above lived on College Street (not too far from me). Where did Leo live? All will give us clues. Leo was married where again? I can't find the wifes info...but I haven't looked really hard yet. Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate?
Lots of questions for you to answer while I look..
nuccia
Re: GIUFFRE
Dave,
I didn't see there was a page 2 for Leonardo's manifest. His fathers name was Giuseppe..
Heres the link..
Page 2 of Leonardo Manifest Line 10
Sorry I missed this.
nuccia
I didn't see there was a page 2 for Leonardo's manifest. His fathers name was Giuseppe..
Heres the link..
Page 2 of Leonardo Manifest Line 10
Sorry I missed this.
nuccia
Re: GIUFFRE
He was burried at Holy Cross Cemetary in Thornhill. I didn't attend the funeral, but I'm sure if i asked them for this info they'd give it.nuccia wrote:Don't feel so bad..I went through a similar experience and it worked out. What cemetary was Leonardo buried in and who buried him? Do you have a copy of his death cetificate?
Have you written away to Italy for his birth info? It will also list th names of his parents. Now the family above lived on College Street (not too far from me). Where did Leo live? All will give us clues. Leo was married where again? I can't find the wifes info...but I haven't looked really hard yet. Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate?
Lots of questions for you to answer while I look..
nuccia
I have not. Who would i write to? The funny thing is, i was given the manifest before, but only page one. Page 2 (which you posted) has the great info of his father, Giuseppe. This is amazing. This is my great-grandfather. From there I can hopefully find out what other children Giuseppe had and see if any might have come to Canada. That Joseph Giuffre info yuo gave me was great too...thanks. Do you know who his father was? I wonder if it was Giuseppe as well. Leonardo's kids names are; Vince, Rose, Joseph, Josephine, Leonard, Anthony (my dad) and Salvatore. I've heard in Sicily it's common to name your first boy (or one of your boys) after your father, so I'm surprised there was no Giuseppe. Maybe he just Canadianized it to Joseph.
Hi lived on Wyvem Rd. in North York in his latter years. I'm not sure where he grew up though. Maybe the Cabbagetown area? My grandmother's (Josephine Martorino - his wife) family was from that area. She was born in Canada, but her parents were from Pachino, Sicily.
To be honest, i'm not sure where my grandparents were married. all info i'll have to find out.
Thanks Nuccia!
Dave
Re: GIUFFRE
Hey Nuccia,nuccia wrote:Could be..
I also found this...can't connect the father and son yet he is also going to Toronto Ontario. Let me see if I can find one for Carmela.
First Name: Giuseppe
Last Name: Giuffre
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Termini
Date of Arrival: Jun 10, 1901
Age at Arrival: 47y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Scotia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0025
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 5004090085
nuccia
I wonder (assuming this is his father) if he came here (Toronto) worked and maybe found residence. Went back to Italy and got married in 1906 to Rosaria Vazzana and had my grandfather the year after the wedding. Then came back to Canada on another ship? The only things are; he would have been 52 when he got married and there are quite a few Giuseppe Giuffres....
-DJ
Re: GIUFFRE
Giuseppe and Joseph are one and the same name, and thru out Italy there was a specific naming pattern regarding both male and female children.
Since at least the sixteenth century, tradition has dictated how Italian parents name their children. A couple's first son is given the name of the father's father; the first daughter is given the name of the father's mother. The second son is given the name of the mother's father; the second daughter is given the name of the mother's mother. Subsequent children are given their parents' names, or the names of favorite or unmarried or deceased aunts and uncles. Because of this custom, the same given names reappear in Italian families generation after generation.
wldspirit
Since at least the sixteenth century, tradition has dictated how Italian parents name their children. A couple's first son is given the name of the father's father; the first daughter is given the name of the father's mother. The second son is given the name of the mother's father; the second daughter is given the name of the mother's mother. Subsequent children are given their parents' names, or the names of favorite or unmarried or deceased aunts and uncles. Because of this custom, the same given names reappear in Italian families generation after generation.
wldspirit
Re: GIUFFRE
wldspirit, you don't know how much you just helped me out in confirming that this manifest is my grandfather. My grandfather's first born daughter was Rose, after his mother Rosaria Vazzana. What's puzzling is why did they go against tradition and name the first born son after the mother's father (Vincenzo Martorino) and the second son after his father's father. i guess that's not written in stone.wldspirit wrote:Giuseppe and Joseph are one and the same name, and thru out Italy there was a specific naming pattern regarding both male and female children.
Since at least the sixteenth century, tradition has dictated how Italian parents name their children. A couple's first son is given the name of the father's father; the first daughter is given the name of the father's mother. The second son is given the name of the mother's father; the second daughter is given the name of the mother's mother. Subsequent children are given their parents' names, or the names of favorite or unmarried or deceased aunts and uncles. Because of this custom, the same given names reappear in Italian families generation after generation.
wldspirit
-DJ
Re: GIUFFRE
Unwritten genealogy law......always expect the unexpected....
In my family, they did not follow the naming tradition at all once they arrived in America.......so there are exceptions to the rule......
wldspirit
In my family, they did not follow the naming tradition at all once they arrived in America.......so there are exceptions to the rule......
wldspirit
Re: GIUFFRE
Here is a handy outline regarding Italian first names and what they became.........
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Poin ... ename.html
wldspirit
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Poin ... ename.html
wldspirit
Re: GIUFFRE
DJ,
I have noticed some other naming tradtions...many from the Sicilian area. Often times they name a son after themselves...
Another could have been there was another son prior to the birst born who was named the paternal grandfather and then came the second who would be named after the maternal grandfather. At some point the first son would have passed away and so the third son would again be named after the paternal grandfather.
Its not too late to call Holy Cross Cemetary and ask them to do a look up for you. They may have the info on file. As for writing to Italy, I'm not great with addresses but I will try to look it up for you unless one of our other members post it first.
nuccia
I have noticed some other naming tradtions...many from the Sicilian area. Often times they name a son after themselves...
Another could have been there was another son prior to the birst born who was named the paternal grandfather and then came the second who would be named after the maternal grandfather. At some point the first son would have passed away and so the third son would again be named after the paternal grandfather.
Its not too late to call Holy Cross Cemetary and ask them to do a look up for you. They may have the info on file. As for writing to Italy, I'm not great with addresses but I will try to look it up for you unless one of our other members post it first.
nuccia
Re: GIUFFRE
I'm going to try calling Holy Cross and see what i can get from them.
Any news on Carmela LaCavera? I'd like to see what i can find out about Rosaria Vazzana too. She appears to be my great-grandmother. Do you think it's possible to find out information about the children that Giuseppe Giuffre and Rosaria Vazzana had?
Cheers,
-DJ
Any news on Carmela LaCavera? I'd like to see what i can find out about Rosaria Vazzana too. She appears to be my great-grandmother. Do you think it's possible to find out information about the children that Giuseppe Giuffre and Rosaria Vazzana had?
Cheers,
-DJ
Re: GIUFFRE
The manifest states that he was going to see his father at 280 Queen St I believe...need to check the manifest again just to confirm if it says Queen St or Queen St E...one is downtown, the other is closer to Sherway Gardens...Hi lived on Wyvem Rd. in North York in his latter years. I'm not sure where he grew up though. Maybe the Cabbagetown area? My grandmother's (Josephine Martorino - his wife) family was from that area. She was born in Canada, but her parents were from Pachino, Sicily.
To be honest, i'm not sure where my grandparents were married. all info i'll have to find out.
Haven't found anything on Rosaria..yet..but still looking.


