I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguinis.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguin

Post by vj »

possible 1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
note: checked 'Naturalized' box

possible 1942 WWII Draft Registration Card
note: pg 2 for 1942 Card is incorrect for PA
User avatar
BillieDeKid
Master
Master
Posts: 1207
Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Illinois

Re: I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguin

Post by BillieDeKid »

Sorry vj. You must have been posting while I was searching and pasting. Yours is probably the correct one.
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguin

Post by vj »

Oh my, not to worry!
You never know which record could turn out to be the
correct one.
And double posting happens all the time to everyone :D
Valarie
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguin

Post by vj »

from footnote.com

Publication Number: M1626
Publication Title: Naturalization Petitions
of the U.S. Circuit and District Courts
for the Middle District of Pennsylvania,
1906-1930
Publisher: NARA
State: Pennsylvania
Court: District Court, 1910-1930
Year: 1912
Date: 01 Oct 1912
Immigrant Full Name: Fiorino Porco
Document Type: Oath
Home Country: Italy
Year Immigrated: 1906
Ship Name: Italia
Spouse Full Name: [BLANK]

Publication Number: M1626
Publication Title: Naturalization Petitions
of the U.S. Circuit and District Courts
for the Middle District of Pennsylvania,
1906-1930
Publisher: NARA
State: Pennsylvania
Court: District Court, 1910-1930
Year: 1912
Date: 15 May 1912
Immigrant Full Name: Fiorino Porco
Document Type: Petition
Home Country: Italy
Witness 1 Full Name: Frank Vanipapa
Witness 2 Full Name: Joseph Stanley
Year Immigrated: 1906
Ship Name: Italia
Spouse Full Name: [BLANK]
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguin

Post by mler »

You guys are absolutely terrific!!!!! :D
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguin

Post by vj »

Wish it were good news though :(
I hadn't checked footnote.com for awhile and
was surprised to find the naturalization records.
The transcriptions are free, there's a charge to
view the actual document.
http://www.footnote.com/documents.php
Valarie
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguin

Post by mler »

You're right; the dates are not good in terms of jure sanguinis.:(

Abruzzi, is there any possibility on the paternal line? You mention that your greatgrandfather went back and forth, finally coming back with your grandfather. Try to determine if/when your paternal grandfather naturalized. I was certain my grandfather naturalized before the birth of my father, but when I checked the records, I got a pleasant surprise. I hope you do too. :)
User avatar
Abruzzi17
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 08 Sep 2007, 00:00
Location: Michigan

Re: I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguin

Post by Abruzzi17 »

Thanks you to everyone who helped. Even if I'm not eligible it is still nice to find records about my family. I don't think my granfather will do any good though because he served in the military before marrying my grandmother so he would have had to have been naturalized, right?
User avatar
BillieDeKid
Master
Master
Posts: 1207
Joined: 29 Jul 2007, 00:00
Location: Illinois

Re: I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguin

Post by BillieDeKid »

No. My grandfather served in WWI for the USA and declared intent but didn't naturalize.

Regards,

Elizabeth
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguin

Post by vj »

Grandfather (maternal) born 1918 in Italy
{may have become naturalized before my mother's birth
*not sure* Is serving in a World War an indication?}
... grandfather (maternal), Michele Bartoletti.


Bartoletti
Possible Salvatore naturalized in US before Michele was
born in Italy...
Several documents which you may have already seen:

1924 manifest
page 2
Salvatore & family, inc Michele age 6, b in S Nicolo

1917 WWI Draft Registration Card
Salvatore indicates he is a naturalized citizen in 1917,
before Michele arrives in 1924


Possible naturalization info for Salvatore from footnote.com
Publication Number: M1626
Publication Title: Naturalization Petitions of the
U.S. Circuit and District Courts for the
Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1906-1930
Publisher: NARA
State: Pennsylvania
Court: District Court, 1910-1930
Year: 1910 Date: 11 Aug 1910
Immigrant Full Name: Salvatore Bartoletti
Document Type: Declaration
Home Country: Italy
Year Immigrated: 1907 Ship Name: Germania

Publication Number: M1626
Publication Title: Naturalization Petitions of the
U.S. Circuit and District Courts for the
Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1906-1930
Publisher: NARA
State: Pennsylvania
Court: District Court, 1910-1930
Year: 1912 Date: 16 Sep 1912
Immigrant Full Name: Salvatore Bartoletti
Document Type: Petition
Home Country: Italy
Witness 1 Full Name: Pasquale Gatti
Witness 2 Full Name: Raffaele Inglese
Year Immigrated: 1907 Ship Name: Germania
User avatar
Abruzzi17
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 08 Sep 2007, 00:00
Location: Michigan

Re: I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguin

Post by Abruzzi17 »

Ok, yes I did see the naturalazation petition for Salvatore Bartoletti; however, I can't find any manafest record other than the time my great-grandfather brought over my grandfather when my grandfather was 6. My mother told me that there were two Salvatore Bartoletti's who settled in her home town of Wilkes-Barre, Pa -- They lived in the parsons section.

Even if my great-grandfather naturalized would I be okay if he didn't naturalize my grandfather who was born in Italy? That sounds really confusing, sorry. Where can I find out if my grandfather ever applied for naturalization or if my great-grandfather had him naturalized as a minor?
User avatar
Abruzzi17
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 08 Sep 2007, 00:00
Location: Michigan

Re: I'm confussed & looking for help w/ jus sanguin

Post by Abruzzi17 »

Yes, my great-grandfather is the naturalized man you found. However, my grandfather was born on Italian soil and his mother was Italian. So, did he have dual citizenship from the start? The main question is how to I find out whether my grandfather gave up his Italian rights. He recently died so its sad that I just can't ask him. Any help is greatly appercieated.
Post Reply