Lisa
immigrant pictures
Re: immigrant pictures
Trish.......your story of Emma brought tears to my eyes..and then to read of Suanj's translation did me in.......
Lisa
Lisa
Re: immigrant pictures
Dear Lisa,
I felt the same way as you did with the translation of that Suanj provided. It's a sad comment, but a true comment.
I have other family members that stated the people they left in Italy made comments because their hearts were breaking to see their family leave. However, they did seem to understand that the family who left was trying to find "a better life".
When I teach my "how to begin your genealogy classes", I alway make the statement.
"The best way to honor your ancestors is by tracing your heritage." "The future generations need to know what our ancestors endured in order for them (meaning the future generation) to have a better life. "
And as for my great-grandmother, Emma....
I also remember that one person had said to her, "How could your mother leave you like that?" And Emma cried saying that her mother had to do what she could to protect the other children, and that she always understood. Plus it wasn't her mother fault, it was the Officers at Ellis Island that sent her back.
The good of the story is that Emma's father, was still in Italy with two other children. Most of the people in the town chipped in and they had glasses made for Emma. Once this was done, then Rocco (Emma's father) brought Emma, and the two other children to Philadelphia.
hugs
Trish
I felt the same way as you did with the translation of that Suanj provided. It's a sad comment, but a true comment.
I have other family members that stated the people they left in Italy made comments because their hearts were breaking to see their family leave. However, they did seem to understand that the family who left was trying to find "a better life".
When I teach my "how to begin your genealogy classes", I alway make the statement.
"The best way to honor your ancestors is by tracing your heritage." "The future generations need to know what our ancestors endured in order for them (meaning the future generation) to have a better life. "
And as for my great-grandmother, Emma....
I also remember that one person had said to her, "How could your mother leave you like that?" And Emma cried saying that her mother had to do what she could to protect the other children, and that she always understood. Plus it wasn't her mother fault, it was the Officers at Ellis Island that sent her back.
The good of the story is that Emma's father, was still in Italy with two other children. Most of the people in the town chipped in and they had glasses made for Emma. Once this was done, then Rocco (Emma's father) brought Emma, and the two other children to Philadelphia.
hugs
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum

