Maternal Grandfather

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
Last
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 198
Joined: 19 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Maternal Grandfather

Post by Last »

Here is the letter, I think or should I say I am getting old.. :cry:



Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Municipio 1
82018 san Giorgio del Sannio (BN)
Italy

Hello, my name is Charles Parente, Jr. I am the grandson of Vincenzo Mirra. He came San Giorgio La Montagna now called San Diorgio del Sannia province of Benevento, Italy. He was born on August 28 1889. The Ellis Island web site shows he immigrated from Naples, Italy on April 16, 1913 on the ship Mendoza and arrived in New York on April 30, 1913. I am looking for confirmation that he did leave on that day and also on that ship. I would also like any other information you are able to locate. Such as birth, baptism, marriage, or any information on his parents of any additional relatives would be helpful.
You could send the information to Charles Parente, Jr. 500 Center Street, Duryea, PA 18642
U.S.A.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Maternal Grandfather

Post by nuccia »

Hi Last,

I just emailed elba...another member who is very good at translations. Hope she gets the email!

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
Last
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 198
Joined: 19 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Maternal Grandfather

Post by Last »

Thanks Nuccia
Parente, Camerlengo, De Iorio, Di Luca, Mirra, Mirro, De Stefano, De Spirito
User avatar
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 739
Joined: 15 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: The Alps - N.Italy

Re: Maternal Grandfather

Post by elba »

nuccia wrote:Hi Last,

I just emailed elba...another member who is very good at translations. Hope she gets the email!

Nuccia
Hi Nuccia,
I did get your e-mail - thank you. But I am busy here now until Sunday morning....
Also I am better with Italian to English than vice-versa...I suspect that Suanj or Incipit will make a far more accurate translation than I would.

elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Maternal Grandfather

Post by ricbru »

Charles,
I want you suggest a couple of things:
- civil record office (ufficio di Stato civile) is not going to provide you Vincenzo Mirra bapt certificate (for this document, you need to write a letter to the parih);
- I don't think ufficio stato civile can confirm that he left the village on that day; mybe there is written something on the parish record (Stato delle anime records);
- be more specific about his parents:requesting his birth certificate, there is only written the name of the parents; requesting marriage certificate there is only written the name of his parents. If you want to know more informations about his parents like name, age and job, you can request a photocopy of birth act, marriage application act and marriage act. If you want to know about siblings, you can request a "Certificato Storico di Famiglia", a family historical certificate.
- when you write the request I suggest you to attach to it a photocopy of your ID + envelope + international reply coupon, sou you are sure they are going to answer you.
I suggest all this, because I've been thru this situations, so you don't waste your time and your money.
So write the letter again, and we are ready to tranlsate it
bye Riccardo
User avatar
Last
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 198
Joined: 19 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Maternal Grandfather

Post by Last »

Hi Riccardo, of this is not the address I am to send the letter to where am I to send it? Also I have a letter ready to send out to ask for information pertaining to my paternal grandfather. It has been translated into Italian for me. I feel that maybe you should see it to see it it should be rewritten to clear u what I am asking for.

Please look at the revised letter below and let me know where I should write to to ask for thie information.

Thank you very much for your help.


Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Municipio 1
82018 san Giorgio del Sannio (BN)
Italy

Hello, my name is Charles Parente, Jr. I am the grandson of Vincenzo Mirra. He came San Giorgio La Montagna now called San Diorgio del Sannia province of Benevento, Italy. He was born on August 26, 1889. The Ellis Island web site shows he immigrated from Naples, Italy on April 16, 1913 on the ship Mendoza and arrived in New York on April 30, 1913. I am looking for confirmation that he did leave on that day and also on that ship. I have a copy of his birth certificate and it states his fathers name was Giuseppe and his mothers name was DeStefano Maria Grazia. The certificate states on the top Comune di San Giorgio Del Sannia, Provincia di Benevento.
I would also like a family historical certificate. Such as birth, baptism, marriage application, marriage act or any information on his parents of any additional relatives would be helpful.
You could send the information to Charles Parente, Jr. 500 Center Street, Duryea, PA 18642
U.S.A.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,

Charles Parente, Jr.
User avatar
Last
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 198
Joined: 19 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Maternal Grandfather

Post by Last »

Hi Riccardo, I have a ID photocopy ready to send with my letter. I went to our local post office and they didn't have any International Reply Coupons. They will get them today. What do I do with them. Do I complete them at the post office do I bring them home and write my address on them. What exactly do I do with them, how do I use them?
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Maternal Grandfather

Post by jcsm400 »

All you do is include in with your request. the IRC is the return postage so they don't have to pay.
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Last
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 198
Joined: 19 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Maternal Grandfather

Post by Last »

So all that is needed is my return address on the IRC? Do I complete it at the post office or can I bring it back home and complete it?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Maternal Grandfather

Post by ricbru »

Last wrote:Hi Riccardo, of this is not the address I am to send the letter to where am I to send it? Also I have a letter ready to send out to ask for information pertaining to my paternal grandfather. It has been translated into Italian for me. I feel that maybe you should see it to see it it should be rewritten to clear u what I am asking for.

Please look at the revised letter below and let me know where I should write to to ask for thie information.

Thank you very much for your help.


Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Municipio 1
82018 san Giorgio del Sannio (BN)
Italy



Hello, my name is Charles Parente, Jr. I am the grandson of Vincenzo Mirra. He came San Giorgio La Montagna now called San Diorgio del Sannia province of Benevento, Italy. He was born on August 26, 1889. The Ellis Island web site shows he immigrated from Naples, Italy on April 16, 1913 on the ship Mendoza and arrived in New York on April 30, 1913. I am looking for confirmation that he did leave on that day and also on that ship. I have a copy of his birth certificate and it states his fathers name was Giuseppe and his mothers name was DeStefano Maria Grazia. The certificate states on the top Comune di San Giorgio Del Sannia, Provincia di Benevento.
I would also like a family historical certificate. Such as birth, baptism, marriage application, marriage act or any information on his parents of any additional relatives would be helpful.
You could send the information to Charles Parente, Jr. 500 Center Street, Duryea, PA 18642
U.S.A.
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,

Charles Parente, Jr.
Charles,
the address where to send the letter is the right one
This is the translation

Salve, mi chiamo Charles Parente jr. Sono il bisnipote di Vincenzo Mirra.Egli proveniva da San Giorgio La Montagna oggi san giorgio del Sannio. Egli nacque il 26 Agosto 1889. Il sito internet di Ellis Island mostra che egli emigrò da Napoli, Italia il 16 Aprile 1913 a bordo della nave "Mendoza" arrivando a New York il 30 Aprile 1913. Cerco conferma che egli andò via quel giorno e con quella nave. Io ho una copia del suo atto di nascita, dove il nome del padre è Giuseppe e quello della madre DeStefano Maria Grazia. Il certificatò è stato emesso dal Comune di San Giorgio del Sannio, Provincia di Benevento.
Desidero avere un certificato storico di famiglia, un certificato di matrimonio, copia della pubblicazione di matrimonio, oltre che qualunque altro tipo di informazione sui suoi genitori.
Prego spedire il tutto al seguente indirizzo:
Charles Parente, Jr. 500 Center Street, Duryea, PA 18642
U.S.A.
Grazie per il vostro tempo
Distinti saluti

Charles Parente


I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
User avatar
Last
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 198
Joined: 19 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Maternal Grandfather

Post by Last »

Hello Riccardo, did I request everything in the correct manner?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Maternal Grandfather

Post by ricbru »

Yes, the only thing I didn't put on the translation is the request of baptism certificate. For this kind of church certificate , you should write to the priest of the parish,
bye Riccardo
User avatar
Last
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 198
Joined: 19 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Maternal Grandfather

Post by Last »

How do I locate the church address?
User avatar
Last
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 198
Joined: 19 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Maternal Grandfather

Post by Last »

Thanks so much for you help. :)
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1874
Joined: 04 Feb 2004, 00:00
Location: TRENTO - ITALY
Contact:

Re: Maternal Grandfather

Post by ricbru »

These are the San Giorgio del Sannio churches

http://www.parrocchie.it/gear/qlist.htm ... d_cognome=

and these are Montefusco churches

http://www.parrocchie.it/gear/qlist.htm ... d_cognome=

bye Riccardo
Post Reply