Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

wldspirit wrote:
Also, is there a way where I can find out if Nicola was my grandfathers brother, cousin, etc?
That would depend on documentation........if you can find and pull any records on the grandfather, you may come across something that would reference a family member, same with Nicola.

The earlier manifest list very little information, which can be fustrating.
However, Ancestry has updated their immigration records.....so maybe we can locate a return trip.......found one for my Nonni and Nonno returning from a visit to family in the 1950's....so maybe we can get lucky and locate something further on your family...... :)

These brick walls can be fustrating...but never, never give up!! I had one on my husbands side that took a year to get over......but when that one little clue came in........it opened up a wealth of info!!!!!

wldspirit
I remember an obituary that used to be around on my Uncle Joseph Colombo who died in WWII. I emailed the Mamaroneck, NY in Westchester County to look up the obituary and asked if they could either send it to be or email what it said. They did email back my great-grandfathers obituary on my mothers side so I'm hoping they will do it again, since I have the date when Uncle Joe died. Gosh, if I only knew when my great-grandmother or grand-grandfather (the Tinchettella's) died, it would be so helpful. I assume Carmella was still alive when my grandmother died in 1947, as it listed her as a survivor. I don't remember her at all, so I'm thinking it couldn't be much after 1947.

Judy
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

wldspirit wrote:
Also, is there a way where I can find out if Nicola was my grandfathers brother, cousin, etc?
That would depend on documentation........if you can find and pull any records on the grandfather, you may come across something that would reference a family member, same with Nicola.

The earlier manifest list very little information, which can be fustrating.
However, Ancestry has updated their immigration records.....so maybe we can locate a return trip.......found one for my Nonni and Nonno returning from a visit to family in the 1950's....so maybe we can get lucky and locate something further on your family...... :)

These brick walls can be fustrating...but never, never give up!! I had one on my husbands side that took a year to get over......but when that one little clue came in........it opened up a wealth of info!!!!!

wldspirit


Hi Everyone......

Since I last posted I have made good progress but only on the Tinto/Tinchettella side of the family. The Tinchettella name change (to Tinto) is still a mystery as far as spelling. I received a copy of my grandparents marriage certificate and it's spelled Tinchittella. I also today received my great grandparents death certificates and it's spelled Tinchettella the same way it is on my great grandfathers application to become a citizen.

The progress I have made is as follows.

Marriage certificate of my grandparents Dominico Colombo and Angelina Tinchitella..
Church of the Blessed Sacrament
15 Shea Place
New Rochelle, NY

November 3, 1894

in the pressense of Nicola Colombo and Maria (the last name looks like Di Talli or Lalli but I think that may have been a mistake since it was copied in handwriting from the orginal. I think the name could be Maria D. Lalli but I'm not 100% sure. I would love to know who these people are...Nichola was mentioned on my grandfather application for citizenship.

My great-grandfathers death certificate

It reads his name as...Michael Tinto or Tinchetella so both names were given.
Residence - Newtown, Ct.
Married
Died - December 25, 1928 at age 66
was retired
Birthday - Feb. 9, 1862
Born in Italy
Father name - Anthony Tinto
Mother name - Archanel and I can't make out what the last name could be..the first 4 letters are Lamm and that last letter or two looks like and e or an l with a period.
Both born in Italy

Has anyone ever heard of the name Archanel? I never have.

Great-grandmothers death certificate reads....
Mildred Tinto
Born - March 9, 1865
Birthplace Salerno, Italy
Died - January 12, 1952 at age 86
Fathers name was Charlie Divietra birthplace Italy
Mothers name Unknown

So now I have birth dates for both and where my great grandmother was born. Can anyone tell me where to send away for her birth certificate?
And I also know my great grandfathers name.

I forgot to mention that I was able to get the obituaries for both my great-grandparents. My great-grandfathers obituary wasn't much of a help but from my great grandmothers obituary besides of some I mentioned above, I was able to learn that she had a sister....
Mrs Mary Marrazzo or Marrozzo from Brooklyn NY. I can't seem to locate her in the censes.
My grandmother also had a sister Lena who's last name was Vaccarro from New Rochelle, NY. In my grandmothers obituary she was listed as Mrs Nicholas Vaccaro so I now have a first name for her.

I still haven't found a thing on the Colombo side of the family but my girlfriends sister is a Morman and she took the information a month or two ago and is working on it when she's get the chance. I have no idea what progress she is making on them.

And I still can't find my great grandparents (Tinto's) coming off any boat to America except for the one we found and I have my doubts about that one since I have no idea who that children are mentioned and the date doesn't match the date that he has on his application to become a citizen. For that matter, I still can't find my grandfather Domenico Colombo coming off a boat to America with the date he gives on his application to become a citizen.

Well, that's my newest update. I'm learning a lot about my dads material side of the family and next to none on the Colombo side of the family. With this new information, I was wondering if you had any idea for me on what to do next?

Judy
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

So now I have birth dates for both and where my great grandmother was born. Can anyone tell me where to send away for her birth certificate?
And I also know my great grandfathers name.

I forgot to mention that I was able to get the obituaries for both my great-grandparents. My great-grandfathers obituary wasn't much of a help but from my great grandmothers obituary besides of some I mentioned above, I was able to learn that she had a sister....
Mrs Mary Marrazzo or Marrozzo from Brooklyn NY. I can't seem to locate her in the censes.
My grandmother also had a sister Lena who's last name was Vaccarro from New Rochelle, NY. In my grandmothers obituary she was listed as Mrs Nicholas Vaccaro so I now have a first name for her.

I still haven't found a thing on the Colombo side of the family but my girlfriends sister is a Morman and she took the information a month or two ago and is working on it when she's get the chance. I have no idea what progress she is making on them.

And I still can't find my great grandparents (Tinto's) coming off any boat to America except for the one we found and I have my doubts about that one since I have no idea who that children are mentioned and the date doesn't match the date that he has on his application to become a citizen. For that matter, I still can't find my grandfather Domenico Colombo coming off a boat to America with the date he gives on his application to become a citizen.

Well, that's my newest update. I'm learning a lot about my dads material side of the family and next to none on the Colombo side of the family. With this new information, I was wondering if you had any idea for me on what to do next?

Judy[/quote]

Hi all, I'm still needing some help on my great grandmothers sister Mary Marrazzo or Marrozzo from Brooklyn NY. I can't seem to locate her in the censes. Also on my grandmothers sister, Mrs Lena Vaccaro. from New Rochelle, NY.

My latest news is that I was able to get pictures of my grandparents grave as well as my parents, brother, aunts and uncles. A stranger from online kindly offered to take them for me and she came though. I have been to the grave many, many times but I didn't take a picture when I left New York. She also took a picture of my great grandparents grave the Tinto's. The cemetery says that my great grandmother is not listed a being buried in the grave but my great grandfather and a son and his wife are. I'm thinking that the cemetery kept bad records back then and that she is buried there. I was so very thrilled to get these pictures.

From my great grandparents death certificates I was able to find out that the names of the parents are....

great grandmothers parents: Charlie Divietra - no wife listed. Isn't Charlie an unusal Italian name?

great grandfathers parents: Anthony Tinchettella/Tinchittella/Tinchittalla
Wife - Archanel ( never heard of the name before)

I also found out from my great grandmothers death certificate that she was from Salerno. Is there anywhere that I can write or email for information on her. She was born in Italy abt March 9, 1864 and died in New York, January 12, 1952.

I know that I haven't given you much information from the info that I already gave you, but I thought that I would keep you updated on my research.

Judy
peggymckee
Elite
Elite
Posts: 264
Joined: 22 Jun 2007, 00:00

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by peggymckee »

NYJudi wrote:And I still can't find my great grandparents (Tinto's) coming off any boat to America
Judy
Naturalization file (not certificate) often has ship information. See Cathynap's post on finding her grandfather's ship.

All the best, Peggy M
User avatar
vflavin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 30 Jun 2009, 04:39

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by vflavin »

:D
Hi, My father was Anthony J. Tinto, CA. Margaret are you related to Michael Tinto. My grandfather was Anthony Tinto who later changed his name to Samuel. Married a DiNapoli. My father was from New Rochelle. Please let me know. According to my aunt Dolly, were related to the Colombo, Devito.
User avatar
NYJudi
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jul 2006, 00:00
Location: AZ

Re: Colombo/Tinto/DeVito Families-New Rochelle, New York

Post by NYJudi »

vflavin wrote::D
Hi, My father was Anthony J. Tinto, CA. Margaret are you related to Michael Tinto. My grandfather was Anthony Tinto who later changed his name to Samuel. Married a DiNapoli. My father was from New Rochelle. Please let me know. According to my aunt Dolly, were related to the Colombo, Devito.
Hi, I was wondering if you got my private email in response to your email?

My grandmothers was Angelina Tinto, name changed from Tinchetella. She married Dominick Colombo and they lived in New Rochelle. Her mother was Carmella DeVito. Her brothers were Samuel, Nicholas, Charles. I believe that there was a Joseph. There were probably others. If I remember my mother correctly, one got killed in a sled riding accident. It might have been Joseph. There was also at least one sister. I myself moved away from the area 4 years ago and am now living in AZ. I went home(Mamaroneck/Larchmont/New Rochelle area) in May and it was great being back. I'm going back next year. Going back made me realize how much I miss it.

Is your Aunt Dolly related?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. I left you my email address on this board in the messages. Let me know if you had any problem getting it.

Judy Colombo
Post Reply