Aviglianese nickname - Cirota?
- montclaire
- Veteran

- Posts: 195
- Joined: 16 Aug 2008, 15:01
Aviglianese nickname - Cirota?
I found a mention of a family nickname, "cirota," but got nothing from the google translator. I'm thinking it's slang or regional dialect? Family is from Avigliano, PZ. Thanks
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Aviglianese nickname - Cirota?
Cirota is a surname, but not a very common one, as can be seen from the following links:
https://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs=Cirota&dv=
https://www.mappadeicognomi.it/en/index ... a&s=Search
Have you seen this name in a document? Can you post it for us to see?
Angela
https://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?qs=Cirota&dv=
https://www.mappadeicognomi.it/en/index ... a&s=Search
Have you seen this name in a document? Can you post it for us to see?
Angela
- montclaire
- Veteran

- Posts: 195
- Joined: 16 Aug 2008, 15:01
Re: Aviglianese nickname - Cirota?
From the April 1993 issue of the Split Rock Gazzette. If it is a surname, I have traced back to one generation before 1759 with no Cirotas in the string. I do not know where they resided in Avigliano (they were farmers so probably not in the city itself), maybe it has something to do with that.
- montclaire
- Veteran

- Posts: 195
- Joined: 16 Aug 2008, 15:01
Re: Aviglianese nickname - Cirota?
Actually, the other two don't make sense either. I am guessing the names are phoenetic.
Miragold is not Italian - probably Mira Colo. Spaccatotora? Spacca tu torra? Cirota - Ci Rota? Si Rota? Ci Ruotta? lol
Miragold is not Italian - probably Mira Colo. Spaccatotora? Spacca tu torra? Cirota - Ci Rota? Si Rota? Ci Ruotta? lol
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Aviglianese nickname - Cirota?
I've been thinking about this over the last couple of a days, and like you, I also thought that the words probably would've been written down phonetically. I've tried saying the words different ways as well, using different spellings etc. The only nickname there that I am familiar with is the first syllable of "Spaccatotora" i.e. "Spacca" which I have always understood to mean "split." Looking at my Italian dictionary the word is "spaccatura" coming from the verb "spaccare" meaning to split, break, to chop (as in chop wood), to divide. Anyways, I don't know why Frank's family had that nickname other than the fact that they lived in/near Split Rock???? - too logical maybe???
It's great to have this cutting that you have located. It's a shame that the writer of the article didn't probe further about the nicknames. Are you able to contact any of these families to enquire about these nicknames and what they meant etc.
(It's possible that the names were invented in the US by the locals but I may be completely wrong on that one. In the town that I grew up with there were lots of family groups with the same surname but I don't remember any nicknames being applied to these. I only remember nicknames being applied to the given name e.g. Big Antonio, Little Antonio, Antonio the painter, Antonio from down the river etc. At school sometimes the local children would tease by playing round with our surnames, but the names never stuck.)
Do come back and let us know if you make any progress on this.
Angela
It's great to have this cutting that you have located. It's a shame that the writer of the article didn't probe further about the nicknames. Are you able to contact any of these families to enquire about these nicknames and what they meant etc.
(It's possible that the names were invented in the US by the locals but I may be completely wrong on that one. In the town that I grew up with there were lots of family groups with the same surname but I don't remember any nicknames being applied to these. I only remember nicknames being applied to the given name e.g. Big Antonio, Little Antonio, Antonio the painter, Antonio from down the river etc. At school sometimes the local children would tease by playing round with our surnames, but the names never stuck.)
Do come back and let us know if you make any progress on this.
Angela
- montclaire
- Veteran

- Posts: 195
- Joined: 16 Aug 2008, 15:01
Re: Aviglianese nickname - Cirota?
I have been emailing a contact that I have in Avigliano. He said that "Cirutte" is a nickname used by some Genovese families, but not Summas that he is aware of. He sent me a handy chart, see below. One of my cousins was in Avigliano last week and got some paperwork from the Anagrafe office, hopefully I'll find what I am looking for it that when he returns.
Re: Aviglianese nickname - Cirota?
Hi! My maiden name is Cirota. I've been struggling to find exactly when my family came over from italy in any of our searches. My grandfather is Louis and his father Louis and his father Frank and have lived in new york. Have you gone any further in your search or found any additional information?
