Adoption disqualifies?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
zac0212
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 11 Apr 2019, 19:29

Adoption disqualifies?

Post by zac0212 »

Hello,

I have reached out to a few groups that assist with Italian Citizenship. I was planning on gaining citizenship through my father's (biological) line. I heard back from one today. They told me that I am ineligible because my mother divorced my biological father, remarried and my step-father adopted me. Based on this, I involuntarily lost my italian citizenship. My adoption records are open (based on recent legislation in my state), so I have access to my adoption decree and original birth certificate which includes my biological father and my original surname.

I have tried to search the forum to determine if anyone has successfully received citizenship by descent even if there was an adoption.

Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Adoption disqualifies?

Post by mler »

If you have an original birth certificate that demonstrates a jure sanguinis connection to your biological father, there is no problem. The name change is explained with the adoption records.
Post Reply