Hello, I am researching my family that resided in Coli, Italy in the early 1800s. In some records in the 1860s, I'm seeing a variation of the Laneri family name. There are several records that are showing up with an extra "i" and may be spelling Laneri as "Lanieri". The names appear to be Laneri family names, but I'm not certain.
Was this a common practice to have siblings change family spellings? Or was this likely a clerical error? I could also use some help with deciphering the name of a spouse on this record.
Here is the image I'm referring to (I've also uploaded a screenshot as an attachment):https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... NX3?i=1232
Note that in the lefhand image toward the bottom there are two records for Antonia and Giovanna Laneri, children of Giuseppi Laneri and Rosa Lupi. Then the last record on the lefthand page is for Giovanni Lanieri (extra "I") children of Lazarao and ? (this is the record I need help deciphering).
Then, on the righthand image, there is a record for Pietro Lanieri (extra "i" again), who is the son of Giuseppi and Rosa Lupi.
Giuseppi had a brother named Lazaro who was only 3 years younger than him, so I'm guessing that despite the different spelling, it's likely his brother? Any thoughts on why the names would be spelled differently? Also, can you please help me decipher Lazaro's wife's name?
Your help is much appreciated.
Thank you!
Scott Laneri
Name change from Laneri to Lanieri Question and Help with Deciphering Name
-
ScottLaneri
- Newbie

- Posts: 11
- Joined: 28 Jun 2013, 18:19
Name change from Laneri to Lanieri Question and Help with Deciphering Name
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Name change from Laneri to Lanieri Question and Help with Deciphering Name
Names were written (spelled) as the person heard them. If he 'heard' Lan-i-eri' that's what he would write. If he 'heard' Lan-eri, that's what would be written.
The way you have uploaded the image makes it impossible to enlarge sufficiently to read the names.
The way you have uploaded the image makes it impossible to enlarge sufficiently to read the names.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
-
ScottLaneri
- Newbie

- Posts: 11
- Joined: 28 Jun 2013, 18:19
Re: Name change from Laneri to Lanieri Question and Help with Deciphering Name
Thank you so much! That's very helpful. Here is an enlarged version to help with the names. Unfortunately, the image isn't the best quality from the source I'm looking at.
It appears her first name starts with Ma and the last name with Graz?
Thanks again for your help.
It appears her first name starts with Ma and the last name with Graz?
Thanks again for your help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Re: Name change from Laneri to Lanieri Question and Help with Deciphering Name
The wife's name looks to be Maddalena (Madd^a) Gragnani.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
-
ScottLaneri
- Newbie

- Posts: 11
- Joined: 28 Jun 2013, 18:19
Re: Name change from Laneri to Lanieri Question and Help with Deciphering Name
Thank you very much! You all are so helpful!