Transcribing 1754 Catasto for Marano Marchesato

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
weevie833
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: 25 Nov 2023, 01:32

Transcribing 1754 Catasto for Marano Marchesato

Post by weevie833 »

I am in the process of transcribing ad translating the entire 1754 Catasto Onciario for Marano Marchesato and will continue to do the same for the 1743 version. I will then do the same for the Rende and Lappano areas. The goal is to have a complete text-based transcription in Italian and English for each page suitable for search, plus a separate JSON document that can be used for data processing.

I am accomplishing this by building an AI agent in Google Gemini that can autonomously process hundreds of pages. In preliminary tests, the accuracy is quite amazing. (Since I have reviewed thousands of civil records in Antenati for MM and Lappano, so I know the family names pretty well).

My question here has to do with the best way to share this data. I have located other repositories from researchers who have posted their work in Google Drive (Viewer mode only), so it seems logical for me to do the same. But I feel it should be shared more widely so it is more discoverable. What do you suggest?

Also, FamilySearch.org states that posting any pages from the original Catasto documents is a copyright violation. While I respect that, I feel that there needs to be a way for these transcriptions to be accessed anyway. Does anyone foresee a problem if I publish transcriptions in text-based form for these copyrighted documents?

- Thanks, Steve Covello
User avatar
PippoM
Master
Master
Posts: 5840
Joined: 25 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Roma, Italia
Contact:

Re: Transcribing 1754 Catasto for Marano Marchesato

Post by PippoM »

Here are several indexings or copies of Catasto Onciario:

https://www.italianparishrecords.org/se ... ia/cosenza

This might be the right site for publication.
BTW, it seems that 1754 Onciario for Marano has already been indexed.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
weevie833
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: 25 Nov 2023, 01:32

Re: Transcribing 1754 Catasto for Marano Marchesato

Post by weevie833 »

Yes, I have seen that website. I will try to contact them. BTW, the MM Catasto has been indexed but only as far as family names and households. It has not been transcribed. Consequently, there is no data about the interrelationships between households and neighbors nor their status and financial connections. Having a transcription provides a much greater data set to query about their lives. Now with AI systems capable of processing large data sets, it will be possible to extract things like visual mappings of the houses according to current geography and whatever else we might want to know.
Post Reply