Marriage Record Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
tarheel56
Veteran
Veteran

Marriage Record Translation

Post by tarheel56 »

Hi. I need a translation for the marriage record Dighera-Mosatto on the middle right page. Thanks!

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... S8L-KS24-3
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Marriage Record Translation

Post by erudita74 »

What I can read-

GiovanBattista Dighera of deceased Andrea. He was a resident of Rivarolo. of this parish.

Bride: Antonia Mosatto of Vincenzo. She was of this parish.

The banns were announced during 3 solemn Masses on April 25th, May 2nd, and May 9th. The marriage appears to have taken place on May 11, 1819. Witnesses were Pietro Antonio Lanzaratto and Paolo Vegetti from Eugenia or Cugenia(?).

I believe in the record there is also a statement concerning the free state of the groom. Normally that meant he was free from military obligations, not a member of a religious order, and not already married. I think it also states that, at one time, he lived in the parish of Bajri/Bairi. There appears to be a place in India and Pakistan with this name, but I don’t know if that is what this refers to. Perhaps he was in the military there.
tarheel56
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tarheel56 »

Thanks. You are awesome as always!!!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thanks for the compliment. Always happy to help you.
Erudita
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

erudita74 wrote: 10 May 2024, 12:37 What I can read-

GiovanBattista Dighera of deceased Andrea from Vialfrè (Torino). He was a resident of Rivarolo. of this parish.

Bride: Antonia Mosatto of Vincenzo. She was of this parish.

The banns were announced during 3 solemn Masses on April 25th, May 2nd, and May 9th. The marriage appears to have taken place on May 11, 1819. Witnesses were Pietro Antonio Lanzaratto and Paolo Vegetti from Eugenia or Cugenia(?) ab + Vowel.

I believe in the record there is also a statement concerning the free state of the groom. Normally that meant he was free from military obligations, not a member of a religious order, and not already married. I think it also states that, at one time, he lived in the parish of Bajri/Bairi Bairo (Torino). There appears to be a place in India and Pakistan with this name, but I don’t know if that is what this refers to. Perhaps he was in the military there.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

@mmogno

Thanks for the corrections but I don’t understand ab + Vowel. What do you mean by that? Thanks.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

@mmogno-

Ora capisco l'uso della parola "ab," ma non capisco la parola dopo "ab" nell'atto. Non posso trovare un comune o una frazione con il nome Eugenio. Credo che e` il nome d'un luogo.

Grazie ancora per l'aiuto.
Erudita
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Anch'io leggo "Eugenia", che dovrebbe essere il nome di un luogo. Però non lo trovo. Con "ab + Vowel" intendevo dire che la parola successiva a "ab" deve iniziare con una vocale, altrimenti sarebbe scritto "a". Quindi non può essere "Cugenia". Forse è Ozegna.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

@mmogno

Ho trovato il comune di Ozegna sulla mappa e vedo che non e` molto distante da Rivarolo Canavese. Forse l'ortografia in latino e` diversa da quella vediamo sulla mappa. Non lo so.

Erudita
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

@erudita74
Ozegna è un Comune confinante con Rivarolo.
Probabilmente è il nome in dialetto di "Ozegna" che è scritto come "Eugenia" (Ozegna (Usenia in piemontese, pronuncia IPA [ʊ'zeŋa]), https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozegna).
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

@mmogno

I did see the info on Wikipedia but nothing there to tie the town name to the spelling in the document, at least not for me. As always though, I appreciate your additional knowledge. When you typed IPA were you referring to the International Phonetic Alphabet?

Erudita