Antonia Mogavero

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Athena
Elite
Elite

Antonia Mogavero

Post by Athena »

I need help trying to find my Great-grandmother's parents.
My great-grandmother is Antonia Mogavero who married Louis Piscitello. I don't know if they married in NY or in italy. I haven't found any marriage record for them in NY or Italy.
All I know is that Antonia was born 5.27,1886, I think in Castlebuono. I would like to find her parents and know there names.

Thank you
Tracy
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Antonia Mogavero

Post by erudita74 »

they married in 1904 in Manhattan

Antonina Mogavero
New York Marriages, 1686-1980 marriage:
6 March 1904
Mahattan, New York father: Antonino Mogavero
mother:Grazia Gloriosa
spouse: Salvatore Piscitello
other:Carmelo, Maria Ballotta
certificate # 6156

Antonina Mogavero
New York, New York City Marriage Records, 1829-1940 birth:
Italy
marriage:
17 February 1904
Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
father:Antoni
mother:Gratizu Gluviosa
spouse:Salvatore Piscitello
other:Carmda, Marie Ballotta
certificate # 4443

go to the familysearch.org website and search under the state of NY and then municipal marriage records for New York, New York

On the following website, I only see a listing for the Feb date and for her as Antoinette.

http://www.italiangen.org/records-search/brides.php

Louis's middle name was Salvatore. I see it on his WWII draft registration card.

Louis Salvatore Piscitello

United States World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
birth:
April 1881
residence:
New York City, New York, New York
draft registration:
New York City, New York, New York, United States
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

WOW! Thank you so much!!!!!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome, Tracy. I've been looking for her birth record in Castelbuono, but don't see it, although I do see individuals with her surname. No one with the parents listed in the NYC marriage though.
Erudita
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

I've been looking as well and nothing.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Tracy
Have you found her on a passenger list which might help narrow down her place of birth? I actually saw one possibility yesterday-age was close-going to a sister named Providenza but from S Stefano di Camastra (Messina Province), I think it was, but the record for the birth year you need is not online. I'm on my way out shortly and can't do anymore with this today. Sorry.
Erudita
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

I've been looking in S Stefano and haven't found her there.
I didn't find her on a passenger list.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Did you find him in S. Stefano? I believe he was from there, as I see that he had a sister named Basilia who was born there about 1881 and married in Manhattan on Oct 5, 1913. Her husband was Felice Milia. Also his WWII draft registration card lists S. Stefano as his place of birth. Still don't know about Antonina though. The extracted info on family search for the birth of her son Carmello on July 19, 1905 in the Bronx has her place of birth as Tiailiio. I can't find anything close to this spelling in Sicily. Also, I see her mother is listed on the 1920 census as Grace Mozaro. Her immigration year is given as 1919. So I thought that, if you found her mother on a passenger list, that might give you a possible town of birth for Antonina. Under the Mogavero surname though, I don't see Grazia on a passenger list. Her age was 75 in 1919 and she was a widow. So her birth year about 1844.
Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I do not think the 1920 US Census referenced is the correct family.
Lena is age 28...a marriage in 1904 would put her about age 12 when married.

On the marriage in 1904, Antonina's mother is listed as Grazia Gloriosa.
Here is an arrival in 1916 of Grazia Gloriosa from S. Stefano do Camastra, age 72, so birth about 1844. She is a widow, leaving a daughter Providenza in S. Stefano.

Line 3 - on the Giuseppe Verdi
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/74 ... _2470-0427

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

HOWEVER... the age for Lena in the 1920 could very well be incorrect - :-)

Correction: the surname should be spelled with an "o" - Glorioso :D

T.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Hi T
I saw what you posted before, but I'm really busy today. I know it's the correct family in the 1920 census despite the fact that Lena's age is off. I know of the births and marriages of the children Carmello, Mary, and Grace. I also found Grazia's birth record on June 30, 1843 in S. Stefano di Camastra. Her parents Antonino Glorioso and Providenza Azzaretto. Unfortunately, I can't see any records post 1865, so I can't say about her marriage to Mogavero. Tracy said she couldn't find Antonina's birth record in S. Stefano, so she must have access to the later years. Maybe you do as well. I never trust ages in census records. They had my one grandfather at age 43 in the 1920 census, and he was only 26 at the time. Anyway, there is a 1903 passenger list (Oct 21, 1903) for an Antonina going to a sister Providenza in NY. She was age 15 at time. I have to find the reference again, but I thought it could be the right one, but then Tracy said her birth record couldn't be found in S Stefano di Camastra.
Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Erudita :-)

I agree - and I am glad it is the correct family.

I also have not found records post-1865 yet. Will keep looking. Glad you found Grazia's birth act in 1843.
The Castelbuono direction may be related to Mogavero - common to Palermo Province, and not found in Santo Stefano.

T.
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

I found a sister of Grazia, Gaetana born 1840.
I can't read Italian so I don't really know what it says
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Athena wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 20:06 http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

I found a sister of Grazia, Gaetana born 1840.
I can't read Italian so I don't really know what it says

Gaetana Glorioso was born on Oct 23, 1840 at 3 P.M. to Antonino Glorioso, age 34, a fisherman, and Providenza Azzarretto, age 32. They were a married couple. The infant was presented by a fisherman named Giuseppe Azzarretto, age 70, who was living in the San Giovanni district of the town. (his relationship to Providenza is not given in the record, but he did produce the two witnesses who were present for the declaration of the birth and presentation of the infant at the town hall). They are listed on the second page of the document, but their relationship to the parties in the record is also not given. Gaetana Glorioso was baptized in the parish of the town on 25th.

Erudita
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Can you please translate this for me? I found a death record for a child.