Italian citizenship and missing birth certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Andreacarmona

Italian citizenship and missing birth certificate

Post by Andreacarmona »

Hello all,

We are trying to figure out if we will be able to get the Italian citizenship by our Italian linage.
and if we are eligible to the process where can we start to look or request a search for the birth certificate from the last Italian in our family.

This is the information that we have so far:

Name: Giovanni Battista Valz Brenta was born between 1834 to 1840 in Commune Rosazza, belonging to the province of Biella in the Piedmont region (according to death certificate of the archdiocese, which says natural Rozazza Biella) Parents: John and Maria

He took a ship and immigrate to Arequipa-Peru in the 1880+ and married a Peruvian lady they had a son Ernesto Valz Caceres (some how they lost the second part of the last name Valz Brenta) born in Arequipa-Peru, he got married to a Peruvian lady as well and my grand mother was born Mary Hortensia Valz Nuñez born in Arequipa-Peru, then is my father and I'm the fifth generation as well born in Arequipa- Peru (we are both now US Citizens), for what I was told my father's relatives started the process but they never got all the documents need it, my question is up to how many generations they can go to get the Italian citizenship, will my grandmother need to do the process so my father can get the citizenship and will I still qualify to receive it, as well as my husband and kids?, or can I just do the process myself, or I don't qualify anymore.

I will really appreciated any information to help me determine if is worth to try to get all the documents as far as copies of the birth certificates, marriage, death, and correct the last name to be able to get trought the process.

Thank you
mler
Master
Master

Re: Italian citizenship and missing birth certificate

Post by mler »

There is no generational limit to obtaining citizenship, but when you are tracing back so far, you are more likely to run into problems. You can do the process for yourself, but do keep in mind that because you are dealing with both Peru and the US, you will need to check carefully to determine if naturalization in either country ended the citizenship line.

You will also have to reconcile name discrepancies that occurred along the way. And if your father was born before 1948, you will need to go through the courts.

To summarize, it’s quite possible (but not definite) you qualify; however, probable document discrepancies and tracing your lineage through two countries will make things difficult.
Andreacarmona

Post by Andreacarmona »

Oh ok perfect, thank you very much for the information, yes we are having difficulties finding the exact date of birth of my great great grand father, you are right we need to go through the court to correct the last name my father was born in 1954, but they will still need to correct the last name down the line right? I'm going to try to get that missing date to have a start point in the process, and find out as well if he did or didn't do a naturalization in Peru
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

No, you don’t have to reconcile the names all the way down the line. If you are able to do this for your great great grandfather, that would explain the names of his descendants.

You’re right; the starting point is with your great great grandfather’s birth certificate. Then you need to prove either that he never naturalized in Peru or naturalized after your grandfather was born.

Since your family ultimately emigrated to the US and became citizens, you will also need to demonstrate that either 1) the naturalizations took place after 1992 or 2) the naturalizations took place after the birth of the child in the line. Who naturalized in the US, and during what year? (The US naturalizations should be easy to document since they are fairly recent.)
Andreacarmona

Post by Andreacarmona »

oh ok perfect, Hopefully I'm able to get the birth certificate from my great grand father, Naturalization in US was recent, I first did my naturalization in 2009 and my Dad did his 2016.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Ok, then it’s only possible naturalization in Peru with which you need to be concerned.
Andreacarmona

Post by Andreacarmona »

Oh ok perfect, thank you very much for all the information I really appreciate it, on the other side I have a copy of the passport of my great grand father brother ( they were two brothers that came together from Italy in a ship) unfortunately down the years my great grand father documents were lost, will that help in any way to get to my great grand father documents?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If you know relative ages of your great grandfather and his brother, (older? younger?), it may provide you with his approximate birth year. Then write to their comune and request a search.

If know the ship they travelled on, you can search the passenger list. This usually includes ages.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Comune di Rosazza
Via Roma 6
13815 Rosazza (BI)
Italy

Ufficio Anagrafe, Stato Civile, Elettorale
Tel. 015.60092
Fax: 015.6097921
E-mail: rosazza@ptb.provincia.biella.it

OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di atti di nascita Giovanni Battista Valz Brenta il 1834-1840 di ottenere la cittadinanza italiana

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOUR NAME. Sono un cittadino americano discendente da Italiani e sto cercando di ottenere la cittadinanza italiana
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per ottenere il Vostro aiuto, poiche` mi necessita l’completo dell'atto di nascita, in formato internazionale di: Giovanni Battista Valz Brenta fu Giovanni nato a Rosazza il 1834-1840
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.

YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL PHOTO ID

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Andreacarmona

Post by Andreacarmona »

Thank you very much for all the assistance, information and translation, I truly appreciate it, it is definitely help me with all this search, and not feel that overwhelmed as the beginning, I will send the email to the commune of Rosazza and hopefully I will get a response on the documents need it from my ancestor.