US Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cedrone
Master
Master

US Naturalization

Post by cedrone »

Two foreign spouses (Argentinian) around 1965 were living in the US.
The husband applied for US citizenship. What happened to the wife? 1. Became US citizen automatically  
(or)
2. Had to apply separately for US citizenship
and, if not made, she remained Argentinian        ?
They had a child  of minor age.
Was he naturalized automatically with the father?
Thank you.
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran

Re: US Naturalization

Post by qualdom »

cedrone wrote: 07 Jul 2024, 15:22 Two foreign spouses (Argentinian) around 1965 were living in the US.
The husband applied for US citizenship. What happened to the wife? 1. Became US citizen automatically  
(or)
2. Had to apply separately for US citizenship
and, if not made, she remained Argentinian        ?
They had a child  of minor age.
Was he naturalized automatically with the father?
Thank you.
So I did some research. The foreign spouse did not automatically acquire US citizenship upon the naturalization of her husband in 1965. She would have to naturalize on her own.

The laws regarding child citizenship acquisition were amended in 2000. From what I have read, prior to 2000, both parents had to naturalize prior to the child's 18th birthday in order for the child to acquire derivative U.S. citizenship. The only exceptions were if one parent had died, or the child was born out of wedlock and was not recognised by the father.

The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 eliminated INA 321 which had mandated that both foreign-born parents have to naturalise. Today only one parent has to acquire U.S. citizenship.
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Thank you very much.
The daughter  said that her father naturalized in 1965 and  then gave her citizenship in 1974, when she was still minor. The mother didn't naturalize.

What do you think? Is it possible?
However she received US citizenship not on her request  and says she remained also Argentinian.
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran

Post by qualdom »

cedrone wrote: 09 Jul 2024, 01:18 Thank you very much.
The daughter  said that her father naturalized in 1965 and  then gave her citizenship in 1974, when she was still minor. The mother didn't naturalize.

What do you think? Is it possible?
However she received US citizenship not on her request  and says she remained also Argentinian.
According to the sources I have read, it was possible if the parents separated and child was in the custody of the U.S. citizen parent. Were the parents separated in 1974?

Unfortunately, I can't find any direct sources for USA child citizenship laws from 1952 to 2000. The only information that I could find was posted by immigration attorneys. So perhaps there were other exceptions for derivative citizenship.
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

OK, thank you very much.
The mother of this person was of Italian descent, at first sight it seems
they didn't loose citizenship, the problem is if the naturalization by the father would have effect on the Italian citizenship.
I'll look for info in Italy.
fnaf12

Post by fnaf12 »

It is amazing! Your great and helpful post is really helpful for us! Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us. Have a great time with poppy playtime free.