PLEASE HELP WITH MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE TRANSLATION

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dsumma03@comcast.net

PLEASE HELP WITH MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE TRANSLATION

Post by dsumma03@comcast.net »

I am new to this site. Is it possible for someone to help with the translation of my Great-Grandparent's Marriage Certificate, from Italian to English? I am attaching the document. Thank you.
Attachments
Varanelli, Giovanni & Maria'a Marriage Certificate.jpg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: PLEASE HELP WITH MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE TRANSLATION

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum! :-)

Dated 13 July 1890 at 10:30 AM at the town hall
Before the Mayor Pietrangelo Rossi appeared:
~Giovanni Varanelli, 20, farmer born in Celenza Valfortore, residing Celenza Valfortore, son of Antonio [Varanelli] of CV, and of Maria Pasquala Carrozza, residing CV
AND
~Maria Michela Vassallo, 21, housewife, born in CV, residing CV, daughter of deceased Francesco [Vassallo] who resided in CV in this lifetime, and of Mariantonia Marzano, residing in CV.
Witnesses to the recording of the marriage were Antonio Gentile, 33, farmer; and Domenico Felice, 60, town crier; both residing in CV
Banns of Marriage were posted on 29 June and 6 July.
The parents of the groom and the mother of the bride were present to give consent.
Only the bride signed with the official as the others were illiterate.

T.
dsumma03@comcast.net

You are a total sweetheart for helping me with my Great-Grandparent's Marriage Certificate. I truly appreciate you reaching out. I am having a very difficult time locating my Maternal Grandfather's birth certificate, & would absolutely treasure being able to get a copy. Do you have any suggestions for me, as to how I go about getting one? I am 99% sure he was born in Celenza Valfortore, Foggia Italy. His name was Antonio (Anthony) Varanelli. & the best birthdate I have for him is May 3, 1891. I am grateful for your help, & the lovely translation. My personal email is "dsumma03@comcast.net", if you prefer to reply that way. Thank you, Doreen
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Did your maternal GF emigrate from Italy? If yes, do you have the ship manifest?
Where did he marry?
Can you tell me the name of his wife and children?

The online records for CV for births appear to be available for years up to 1890.

You can write directly to the Comune of Celenza Valfortore to request his birth act.
Write your request in Italian (helpful links below), included YOUR photo ID and an email address. Send no money unless they contact you through your email to cover copy and mail costs. Or they may email the record.

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via San Nicola, 15
71035 Celenza Valfortore (FG)
ITALY

Help with letters
http://geocities.ws/paulanigro/italian- ... tter3.html
http://geocities.ws/paulanigro/italian- ... talrecords

While I cannot provide you with the birth act of your maternal GF - I have located the birth act of your GGF - Giovanni Varanelli (who is the son of Antonio in the marriage record above) :-)

#75 - dated 12 July 1870 in Celenza Valfortore
Appeared before the official was Antonio Varanelli, son of deceased Andrea, age 32, farmer residing in said town to present a male child who was born on 11 July at midnight, to his wife Maria Pasquale Carrozza, daughter of deceased Nicola, age 40, residing with her husband. The child was born at home and given the name GIOVANNI

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043436

T.
dsumma03@comcast.net

I am 99% sure my GF emigrated from Italy, but I cannot locate the ship's manifest. I believe when my GGP's came to the US with my GF, they lived in PA, had their 2nd child, Pasqualena (Lena), born in Monongahela, PA (Washington County), & then they moved to Waterbury, CT, where they had the other 6 children. I called Washington County many years ago, but they couldn't seem to locate a birth record for Pasqualena Varanelli (so disappointing). My GF's wife was Concetta (Cicchetti) Varanelli. Their children were: John, Michael, Anthony & Irena (Irene - my mom). I have attached their marriage certificate.

Are the online records you mentioned (for birth records), on FamilySearch.org ? I tried searching for my GF's birth record there, but it doesn't appear that you can search by name, & I went thru over 1000 records, & then ran out of time. How did you manage to locate my GGF's birth record? That is awesome!! Unfortunately, the link doesn't seem to work, so I cannot view it. Is there any way you can save the record, & attach it to your reply? I even tried coping your link & pasting it in the browser of Firefox, but it said that the file was not found. And, the link would not work in Internet Explorer at all. If I can provide you with anything else, I would more than happy to sent it. My goal is to get my maternal GF's birth record, but I will be ecstatic to see my G-GF's birth record. I had his birthdate as July 11, 1871, but it appears that he was born July 11, 1870 (so happy to get the correct year)!! My G-GM, Maria Michela Vassallo (her maiden name), was born on Sept. 25, 1870 in CV. I've attached a picture of my G-GP's, Giovanni & Maria Varanelli, so you can see whose birth record you found!!

Please let me know if you would be able to attach my GGF's birth record? I am so excited to see it. Once again, you have been more than helpful & I thank you. Can't wait to hear from you!!
Doreen
Attachments
Anthony & Concetta Marriage Certificate.jpg
Giovanni & Maria Varanelli in Oval Frame.jpg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I just tried the link and it works fine. You must be signed in to Family Search (free registration) to view it.

The photos of your GGPs is wonderful!
Thank you for sharing it.

Here is the link again for Giovanni's birth act.

And here is the link to the birth act of Maria Michela Vassallo in CV in 1869.
Dated 25 September 1869
Father: Francescantonio Vassallo, Son of deceased Domenico Vassallo, age 45, shoemaker.
Mother: Mariantonia Marzano, his wife, daughter of Antonio Marzano, age 39.
Child born on the 24th, given the name Maria Michela

Right side of image

T.
dsumma03@comcast.net

OMG!!! You are amazing. I was finally able to open up the birth record links. I had to open them in Firefox (not in Internet Explorer - IE is giving me problems lately). Do you speak & write fluently in Italian? I'm attaching a HINT that came up in Ancestry, for my GGGF, Antonio Varanelli. Take a look at this & give me your thoughts. My GGF, Giovanni, was born on July 11, 1870, but this Baptism record is from 1865. I do know that when a son died in Italy, The next born male would get his 1st name. Could it be that they had a son who died, & my GGF received his 1st name? You have provided me with such wonderful information. How can I ever thank you? Now, I'll need to work on my GF, Antonio Varanelli. The year he was born is most likely 1891, but it could be 1892 or 1893. How are you searching for this information on Family Search. I've seen these documents, & that's how I found my GGP's marriage certificate. I came across it by accident. I didn't see a way to search by a person's name. I was only able to search by year, & then go thru each document one at a time. Is there a secret I don't know? Is your 1st name Tessa? If it is, thank you Tessa, from the bottom of my heart!! Doreen
Attachments
Giovanni Varanelli's Baptism Record.JPG
dsumma03@comcast.net

Hi Again. I believe the links you sent me for my GGM & GGF's birth records were the same link. They both opened up to Maria MichelaVassallo's birth record. Is it possible to resend Giovanni Varanelli's birth record link? I would love to see his. Thx, Doreen
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Link to Giovanni Varanelli birth.

It is #75 on the left side (Numero settantacinque progressivo...)

AND - this is the death of the Giovanni Varanelli you received a hint for.
You are correct, this child died and the next son was given the name Giovanni.
He died in 1868 at the age of three. His parents were Antonio Varanelli and Maria Pasquale Carrozza, married couple.
Death on 27 October.
Begins bottom left.

T.
dsumma03@comcast.net

I don't know why I couldn't seem to open my GGF's birth record, but it worked this time! This is simply priceless information, & I am truly grateful to you. I was also able to open the 1st Giovanni Varanelli's death record. Does it say how this child died? I have been trying to figure out how you were able to locate these documents on Family Search so fast? I find records from Italy, but you are only able to open certain ones at home. The others can only be opened, if you're a member of the Church of the Latter Day Saints, or you go to a Family Search Center & use their computers. Is there a "trick" to this that I'm not aware of?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Death records generally do not give the cause of death unless the person died in a hospital, in the war, or as a result of a natural disaster.

You cannot access the images of the Italian records by using the database. You use the "catalog" search for the town, then type of records and years. There is no "trick" and yes, some are only accessible when viewing at a Family History Center or an affiliated Library.

T.
dsumma03@comcast.net

Thank you for all of the good information you have provided for me. I will share most of it with many 2nd cousins I have been communicating with, & I know they will really enjoy it. I will do my best to follow up on my Maternal Grandfather's birth record. It's so confusing that you were able to locate documents on relatives older than him, but his birth record is not available to see. It's a mystery that I really want to solve. You have been a true blessing.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

dsumma03@comcast.net wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 18:16 Thank you for all of the good information you have provided for me. I will share most of it with many 2nd cousins I have been communicating with, & I know they will really enjoy it. I will do my best to follow up on my Maternal Grandfather's birth record. It's so confusing that you were able to locate documents on relatives older than him, but his birth record is not available to see. It's a mystery that I really want to solve. You have been a true blessing.
There is no mystery here. The records for years after 1890 have not been digitized for viewing. There can be many different reasons for this.

You must write to the town to request a copy.

T.
dsumma03@comcast.net

I will definitely sit down & send a request for his birth record. Thanks again.