In English we don't usually use è or é unless the word is borrowed from another language. So I'm guessing when they immigrated the accent mark was dropped.
I was curious because the last name is pronounced here so it rhymes with 'hands', sort of. One syllable, American 'a', sounding more ...
Search found 5 matches
- 16 Jun 2006, 23:30
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
- Replies: 23
- Views: 20758
- 15 Jun 2006, 10:02
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
- Replies: 23
- Views: 20758
Re: FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
Children's names are Angelina, Natale, Josephina, August, Antonette (?), oh goodness, that's all I have. 8 or 9 kids total -- one died young.
There are also cousins in the area, too.
There are also cousins in the area, too.
- 15 Jun 2006, 02:42
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
- Replies: 23
- Views: 20758
Re: FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
The birth and death date of the SSDI concurs with what my mother remembers. This is a different birth date than the draft card, but the 'wife and baby' and working location is about right for my great-aunt Angelina to be born.
Thank you so much for your help!
Thank you so much for your help!
- 15 Jun 2006, 02:04
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
- Replies: 23
- Views: 20758
Re: FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
Nuccia, could be! I'll get the birth and death dates from my mom. We're having a family reunion this year and it would be really neat if I found an old draft card!
- 14 Jun 2006, 06:55
- Forum: Italian Genealogy
- Topic: FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
- Replies: 23
- Views: 20758
FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
Hello all,
My great-grandparents were Santo and Girolama Franze, and according to my family, they hailed from Sicily before settling near Pittsburgh sometime in the early 1920s, I think. (My grandfather Natale is American-born and 75 or so.)
Now for the question: Franze doesn't sound very Italian ...
My great-grandparents were Santo and Girolama Franze, and according to my family, they hailed from Sicily before settling near Pittsburgh sometime in the early 1920s, I think. (My grandfather Natale is American-born and 75 or so.)
Now for the question: Franze doesn't sound very Italian ...