In English we don't usually use è or é unless the word is borrowed from another language. So I'm guessing when they immigrated the accent mark was dropped.
I was curious because the last name is pronounced here so it rhymes with 'hands', sort of. One syllable, American 'a', sounding more German than Italian.
I'm guessing that Franzè has two syllables?
FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
Re: FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
Hi There,
Joyce, one of our members found this. She couldn't post it herself since shes too busy being a new Nonna this week!
Sando Frencz 1930 census..
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5726/imagex8gm.jpg
thanks Nonna Joyce!
Nuccia
Joyce, one of our members found this. She couldn't post it herself since shes too busy being a new Nonna this week!
Sando Frencz 1930 census..
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5726/imagex8gm.jpg
thanks Nonna Joyce!
Nuccia
Re: FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
Yes Franzè ha two syllables: FRAN-ZE', and the pronounce is FRAA-N-ZE' and the "E" final is more long and strong because have the accent.mbwillard wrote:In English we don't usually use è or é unless the word is borrowed from another language. So I'm guessing when they immigrated the accent mark was dropped.
I was curious because the last name is pronounced here so it rhymes with 'hands', sort of. One syllable, American 'a', sounding more German than Italian.
I'm guessing that Franzè has two syllables?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
I always thought the same about my last name (or what it was before my grandfather came to Canada and it was changed). Giuffre. It's very common in the Palermo/Termini region. In fact it's quite common in all of Sicily and Calabria for that matter. I think it can be traced back to when the Normans conquered the Sicily.
Dave
Dave
- Rebeca.Franze
- Newbie

- Posts: 3
- Joined: 02 May 2010, 22:18
Re: FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
Hi there!
I have the same last name, (franze)
And i have seen records that show my family used this name before they came to chicago in the early 1900's.
BUT i have also heard from older family that along time ago there used to be an accent on the "e" (franzé) and i have also seen one record where the name was spelt "fransé".
My family is from Termini Imerse and I have heard that along time ago we had a cousin named Santo Franze who went to Pittsburgh around the same time we went to Chicago... Maybe we are related?
I have the same last name, (franze)
And i have seen records that show my family used this name before they came to chicago in the early 1900's.
BUT i have also heard from older family that along time ago there used to be an accent on the "e" (franzé) and i have also seen one record where the name was spelt "fransé".
My family is from Termini Imerse and I have heard that along time ago we had a cousin named Santo Franze who went to Pittsburgh around the same time we went to Chicago... Maybe we are related?
Re: FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
Hi:
I can verify that Santo did live in Pittsburgh, I am his grandson and do remember him up until his death in 1974. Does anyone know if any of his relatives are still in Sicily? Am trying to arrange a visit next year and would love to look them up.
I can verify that Santo did live in Pittsburgh, I am his grandson and do remember him up until his death in 1974. Does anyone know if any of his relatives are still in Sicily? Am trying to arrange a visit next year and would love to look them up.
Re: FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
I have no idea if there are relatives still in Sicily. I'm Santos' great granddaughter and have been working on the geneology, but wow, I hit a giant stopping point with Santos and Girolama.
I am Antoinette's granddaughter...
I am Antoinette's granddaughter...
- Joannsalvo
- Elite

- Posts: 304
- Joined: 10 Feb 2008, 15:31
- Location: NJ
Re: FRANZE: No, it's Sicilian, really.
You may know this already but there are some records on line for Termini Immerese at familysearch.org. It is free to register.
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D1947613
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D1947613
- Joannsalvo
- Elite

- Posts: 304
- Joined: 10 Feb 2008, 15:31
- Location: NJ


