Search found 5 matches

by Smitty
20 Jun 2020, 04:38
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Are these surnames the same name?
Replies: 4
Views: 1612

Re: Are these surnames the same name?

Thanks, everyone, for the replies.


In the Italian language you pronounce every letter. In dialect these pronounciations are often 'slurred' leading to spelling variations even within the same family. Follow the trail, don't get sidetracked by this kind of thing.


I'm guessing this is one such ...
by Smitty
19 Jun 2020, 05:48
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Are these surnames the same name?
Replies: 4
Views: 1612

Are these surnames the same name?

In Caltagirone, I have seen a number of Nigido and Nigito families. In neighboring Mineo, there were once Nicito families. Are all these likely just spelling variations of each other, or are the "g" and "c" sounds too distinct for that to be the case? Just a question of curiosity. Thanks in advance.
by Smitty
22 Jun 2018, 06:57
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Latin given names "Aghabini" and "Santori"
Replies: 5
Views: 1067

Re: Latin given names "Aghabini" and "Santori"

Thanks again, Tessa. You've been a big help. On another Latin record for the same person, it's spelled "Agabino," so it's likely some form of the names you suggested. It'd be simpler if they'd just written it in Italian, eh? :)
by Smitty
22 Jun 2018, 06:22
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Latin given names "Aghabini" and "Santori"
Replies: 5
Views: 1067

Re: Latin given names "Aghabini" and "Santori"

Thanks for the reply, Tessa78. I was afraid only one of the images had uploaded. Here is the other. Any guesses would be appreciated.
by Smitty
15 Jun 2018, 03:46
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Latin given names "Aghabini" and "Santori"
Replies: 5
Views: 1067

Latin given names "Aghabini" and "Santori"

I ran across these two male Latin names in Sicilian church records yesterday, and I'm not sure as to their Italian/Sicilian translations. If anyone has an idea as to what they would be, I'd appreciate it. I've attached the images, if that helps. Thank you in advance.