Okay, I just moved and now fall into the Philly consulate area.
According to their document saying what documents you need, if the ancestor never naturalized and it says "italian" on the Death Cert that further proof isn't needed? They don't mention NARA, USCIS, or the census documents to prove ...
Search found 14 matches
- 23 Jan 2022, 23:27
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: Just moved and looking at a new consulates reqs.
- Replies: 6
- Views: 2118
- 04 Oct 2020, 22:05
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: Here's a pickle regarding the 1912 and 1948 laws
- Replies: 10
- Views: 3720
Re: Here's a pickle regarding the 1912 and 1948 laws
I really wonder what happens if the census says "NA" as well. Because, like, lots of people lie on the census, especially if they fear deportation. Or they started the process and didn't understand the question. So, what happens when the certified census says that?
I think since we came from a time ...
I think since we came from a time ...
- 04 Oct 2020, 09:21
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: Here's a pickle regarding the 1912 and 1948 laws
- Replies: 10
- Views: 3720
Re: Here's a pickle regarding the 1912 and 1948 laws
Good luck, I did get a "no records exist" for my Grandfather, but he also listed "NA" on the census forms and NARA mentioned this in the letter that would be sent along to gain citizenship, it also said prior to 1906 local courthouse.
Thanks! As of today I've contacted all the court houses ...
- 01 Oct 2020, 06:37
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: Here's a pickle regarding the 1912 and 1948 laws
- Replies: 10
- Views: 3720
Re: Here's a pickle regarding the 1912 and 1948 laws
You may want to check the County Courthouse your relative lived in as NARA will note Census records and this:
Naturalization activity prior to September 27, 1906, was under the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts.
Naturalization records may be found in Federal, State, or local court records ...
- 01 Oct 2020, 05:57
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: Need help! Obtaining Italian stamps
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1207
Re: Need help! Obtaining Italian stamps
https://www.stampworld.com/en_US/stamps/global/all/
On the right hand side there is an "Advance Search" option. Choose it. Then choose Italy as the country of Origin from the drop down menu. Then, on the far right of second line of drop down options you can choose the type of stamp. There will be a ...
On the right hand side there is an "Advance Search" option. Choose it. Then choose Italy as the country of Origin from the drop down menu. Then, on the far right of second line of drop down options you can choose the type of stamp. There will be a ...
- 26 Sep 2020, 09:28
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: My dad does NOT want to become an Italian citizen...
- Replies: 1
- Views: 1080
My dad does NOT want to become an Italian citizen...
And this is a problem because I'm afraid it'll mean that he'll refuse to sign form 3 of the consulate documents, since it would basically make him a citizen too ("In reference to the applicant's request for recognition of Italian Citizenship Jure Sanguinis, and being aware that the undersigned will ...
- 25 Sep 2020, 00:49
- Forum: Italian History & Culture
- Topic: Babies and Personal Hygiene before Soap
- Replies: 5
- Views: 9962
Re: Babies and Personal Hygiene before Soap
No problem! I'm a historical recreator and people definitely ask questions like that all the time!
- 24 Sep 2020, 09:13
- Forum: Italian History & Culture
- Topic: Babies and Personal Hygiene before Soap
- Replies: 5
- Views: 9962
Re: Babies and Personal Hygiene before Soap
Well, it wasn't ideal and it certainly wasn't hygenic by today's standards.
But people would dig outhouses. Bed pans were used regularly. People did wash, but it was normally sponge bath style things. They didn't get in tubs. While people didn't have a lot of clothes, most of the clothes were wool ...
But people would dig outhouses. Bed pans were used regularly. People did wash, but it was normally sponge bath style things. They didn't get in tubs. While people didn't have a lot of clothes, most of the clothes were wool ...
- 24 Sep 2020, 04:57
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: Here's a pickle regarding the 1912 and 1948 laws
- Replies: 10
- Views: 3720
Re: Here's a pickle regarding the 1912 and 1948 laws
You’re right in that the pre-1912 naturalization complicates matters, but your gggm would never have naturalized since she obtained US citizenship from her husband. Since she was listed as “alien” on the census, it’s quite possible that your gggf did NOT naturalize, and that would simplify matters ...
- 23 Sep 2020, 23:02
- Forum: Locations in Italy
- Topic: Isola delle Femmine, Sicily
- Replies: 6
- Views: 4240
Re: Isola delle Femmine, Sicily
I could not find Maria in 1883.
There's one, born in 1882, Sep 1st:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-997B-N95G?i=1192&cc=2051639&cat=487686
maybe it's her?
However, if she was born in 1883, how could they marry in 1888?
Oops! my finger slipped, I mean 1898! But huh. All the ...
- 23 Sep 2020, 22:36
- Forum: Locations in Italy
- Topic: Isola delle Femmine, Sicily
- Replies: 6
- Views: 4240
Re: Isola delle Femmine, Sicily
OMG You guys are the best! I kept searching FamilySearch but clearly you guys are pros!
- 23 Sep 2020, 08:51
- Forum: Locations in Italy
- Topic: Isola delle Femmine, Sicily
- Replies: 6
- Views: 4240
Isola delle Femmine, Sicily
Hello!
So I am looking for some birth & marriage records from Isolla delle Femmine. I found the online/ digitized archives that Palermo keeps, however they only go until 1865. My ancestors were born and married after that.
Here's the info:
Giuseppe Billeci - born approximately 03-18-1873 ...
So I am looking for some birth & marriage records from Isolla delle Femmine. I found the online/ digitized archives that Palermo keeps, however they only go until 1865. My ancestors were born and married after that.
Here's the info:
Giuseppe Billeci - born approximately 03-18-1873 ...
- 21 Sep 2020, 10:11
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: Here's a pickle regarding the 1912 and 1948 laws
- Replies: 10
- Views: 3720
Here's a pickle regarding the 1912 and 1948 laws
So, My great great grandfather may have naturalized to the US before his death in 1910 (I'm awaiting a response from my local NARA branch, but alas covid). His son, my great grandfather was born after his death in 1910.
So, at the time my GGGM would have automatically lost her citizenship due to ...
So, at the time my GGGM would have automatically lost her citizenship due to ...
- 21 Sep 2020, 05:06
- Forum: Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship
- Topic: Do I qualify for dual citizenship--confused about Law 555/1912
- Replies: 2
- Views: 1522
Re: Do I qualify for dual citizenship--confused about Law 555/1912
I am JUST staring out, but I found these blog posts that discuss the issue. I do not know how it applies in court, as they only discuss how it impacts consulates.
https://www.italianpapers.it/1574/loss-of-italian-citizenship-1865-1912-issue/
https://www.italianpapers.it/1620/loss-of-italian ...
https://www.italianpapers.it/1574/loss-of-italian-citizenship-1865-1912-issue/
https://www.italianpapers.it/1620/loss-of-italian ...