Just moved and looking at a new consulates reqs.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
kitcatlvr
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: 21 Sep 2020, 05:01

Just moved and looking at a new consulates reqs.

Post by kitcatlvr »

Okay, I just moved and now fall into the Philly consulate area.

According to their document saying what documents you need, if the ancestor never naturalized and it says "italian" on the Death Cert that further proof isn't needed? They don't mention NARA, USCIS, or the census documents to prove non-naturlization like 2 other consulates I might have applied at (due to moving around). Is this really correct?
User avatar
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 181
Joined: 18 Jan 2021, 02:42
Location: USA

Re: Just moved and looking at a new consulates reqs.

Post by qualdom »

Hi,

I sincerely doubt that is correct, since information on a death certificate isn't verified information...it is just what is reported by the informant.
afecad
Elite
Elite
Posts: 341
Joined: 09 Sep 2020, 21:34
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Just moved and looking at a new consulates reqs.

Post by afecad »

kitcatlvr wrote: 23 Jan 2022, 23:27 Okay, I just moved and now fall into the Philly consulate area.

According to their document saying what documents you need, if the ancestor never naturalized and it says "italian" on the Death Cert that further proof isn't needed? They don't mention NARA, USCIS, or the census documents to prove non-naturlization like 2 other consulates I might have applied at (due to moving around). Is this really correct?
Does not align with the San Francisco consulate requirements at all. My family members from PA, who are also applying , will use the Philadelphia consulate.
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Just moved and looking at a new consulates reqs.

Post by mler »

The key words here are “never naturalized.” You will need to prove that; therefore, you need the USCIS no record letter. They then may be willing to accept the death certificate in lieu of census documents as supporting documentation.
afecad
Elite
Elite
Posts: 341
Joined: 09 Sep 2020, 21:34
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Just moved and looking at a new consulates reqs.

Post by afecad »

mler wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 17:38 The key words here are “never naturalized.” You will need to prove that; therefore, you need the USCIS no record letter. They then may be willing to accept the death certificate in lieu of census documents as supporting documentation.
Did not know a death certificate would be acceptable. I had census records pulled + USCIS, NARA and the local county courthouse for naturalization records for both of my deceased great-grandparents.
User avatar
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 181
Joined: 18 Jan 2021, 02:42
Location: USA

Re: Just moved and looking at a new consulates reqs.

Post by qualdom »

afecad wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 18:55
mler wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 17:38 The key words here are “never naturalized.” You will need to prove that; therefore, you need the USCIS no record letter. They then may be willing to accept the death certificate in lieu of census documents as supporting documentation.
Did not know a death certificate would be acceptable. I had census records pulled + USCIS, NARA and the local county courthouse for naturalization records for both of my deceased great-grandparents.
Did ICA say that any of those supporting documents need an apostille? I've read that consulates in the USA do not require an apostille for census pages but I haven't seen anything about using those documents in "1948" cases.
afecad
Elite
Elite
Posts: 341
Joined: 09 Sep 2020, 21:34
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Just moved and looking at a new consulates reqs.

Post by afecad »

qualdom wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 22:24
Did ICA say that any of those supporting documents need an apostille? I've read that consulates in the USA do not require an apostille for census pages but I haven't seen anything about using those documents in "1948" cases.
Not sure on census records? They only did a search to review my case initially, that is to choose the best path forward in the process. I don't see it mentioned in the page below either:

https://italiancitizenshipassistance.co ... 20document.
Post Reply