I see two occupations on documents I recently received.
One is Colona - Do I understand correctly that this is a farmer who works on a farm owned by someone else?
And... Campagnolo - countryman. Exactly what is a countryman.
Thanks.
Occupations on Italian documents
- donnawright
- Elite

- Posts: 252
- Joined: 11 Jan 2009, 21:00
Occupations on Italian documents
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Occupations on Italian documents
you are correctdonnawright wrote:I see two occupations on documents I recently received.
One is Colono - Do I understand correctly that this is a farmer who works on a farm owned by someone else?
According to Webster: one living in the country or marked by country ways, rusticdonnawright wrote: And... Campagnolo - countryman. Exactly what is a countryman.
- donnawright
- Elite

- Posts: 252
- Joined: 11 Jan 2009, 21:00
Re: Occupations on Italian documents
Thank you for this and your last translation. I am making progress. I have some help from an Italian who does not know English, and that is a challenge in itself. But together we figure a good bit of it out, and then I depend on this forum for clarification.
As for countryman, what kind of work does this indicate?
As for countryman, what kind of work does this indicate?
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Occupations on Italian documents
I would say that he is a farmer