Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Pistolpete wrote:Man I'm awful at this. I get leads, but just can't pinpoint.
What haven't I heard of Domenico or Eleanor. Are we sure this is the same Antonina? Why weren't they listed in the 1920 census?
You know the records are there just waiting for you to find them .
Plan on misspellings and bad transcriptions - it just takes practice.
As families became acclimated to their new life, children would usually live with their parents until they got married. In many cases they contributed to the family finances until they had a family of their own. Many times you'll find them in the same neighborhood.
Best guess, Eleanora and Domenico were married by 1920 and not living at home.
No doubt this is your Antonina - Giuseppe's arrival was after Antonia in 1914.
Note: in our family research we found a brother in NY that none of my g-grandfather's children knew he had.
When we found the family records in Italy we found quite a few more siblings.
It was quite a revelation
Valarie
---
I forgot what years did your father live with his grandparents?
Where did they live?
You're definitely on to something. Things keep getting thicker.
It makes more sense now, they were probably too old for my dad to have really met or known. And they were probably out of the house by 1920. Living most of their childhood lives in Sicily. And, this explains the huge age gap between Marianna Amari and Giuseppe and Antonina. Now if I can figure out which Domenico Amari came to America here. A little odd having the son living in Brooklyn, I guess he visited other family members (Cousins and such).
Okay, I've been talking to my father and he claims that he's pretty sure that his grandmother never had a sister. I don't think that squashes that, but it makes me re-question. Could she have passed before my father was alive.
It could be both more than one of the records you found.
It is possible that Domenico went to Pittsburgh - the plan would be to make money to send home
Don't forget to look for one or more of his brothers to have joined him in Pittsburgh
Folks went where there was work and usually joined someone they knew to keep expenses down
Pistolpete wrote:...Could she have passed before my father was alive.
Yes it is possible that some of Marianna's siblings died young
Besides the 1918 influenza pandemic, many women died in childbirth
This is where some of the NYC record sites may help
Great work and tips, resources for pistolpete to check.
Found this based on the manifest markings on the ship manifest you found. Eastern District Index Card
Name: Marion Chelli
Age: 37
Birth Date: abt 1906
Issue Date: 13 Jul 1943
State: New York
Locality, Court: Eastern District of New York, District Court
Title: Index to Naturalization Petitions of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 1865-1957
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Name: Paul Ovidio Chelly (name on marriage rec found-Paul O Chilly
Age: 48
Birth Date: abt 1892
Issue Date: 26 Mar 1940
State: New York
Locality, Court: Eastern District of New York, District Court
Title: Index to Naturalization Petitions of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 1865-1957
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Great work and tips, resources for pistolpete to check.
Found this based on the manifest markings on the ship manifest you found. Eastern District Index Card
Name: Marion Chelli
Age: 37
Birth Date: abt 1906
Issue Date: 13 Jul 1943
State: New York
Locality, Court: Eastern District of New York, District Court
Title: Index to Naturalization Petitions of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 1865-1957
Biff
Wow, wow. What exactly is that? This could be very big. What exactly is a Naturalization Petition?
My grandfather was born in 1935 and today my father said she think his grandmother (Marianna Amari) married Joseph Sgroi when he was 7. So while Sgroi would have been with my grandfather for awhile, he probably got married around that date. That would would turn Marion Chelli into Marion Sgroi. This Chelli guy left when my grandfather was 2-4 (Around 1937-39). So this could be a very big find. Don't know exactly what it represents. Probably wouldn't need to get a divorce from a guy who left. And she could probably didn't keep that last name after he did. But that still could be something.
How exactly did you connect that together? You guys are unbelievable here.
My mom says it looks exactly like her handwriting and we could be on to something.
Do you know Joseph Sgroi's birthdate? His occupation? Anything that might help me find him on a 1930 census, a WWII Draft Reg Card, naturalization record etc.
I'm trying to see if there's a conncection based on the two addresses on the index card for Marion Chelli--26 Ditmars St and 1025 Dekalb Ave.
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83 wrote:Do you know Joseph Sgroi's birthdate? His occupation? Anything that might help me find him on a 1930 census, a WWII Draft Reg Card, naturalization record etc.
I'm trying to see if there's a conncection based on the two addresses on the index card for Marion Chelli--26 Ditmars St and 1025 Dekalb Ave.
Biff
Joseph Sgroi was a printer. He was born around 1902, and died at 72 years (In that vicinity) old around 1974. He died in Ft. Lauderdale Florida I believe where he retired.
Hope that helps...
*Edit*
The guy at the top of this is probably my great-grandfather (Non biological one). He passed away around the time my dad graduated HS which was in 1976.
Biff83 wrote:Are these Social Security records correct?
Name: Joseph Sgroi
SSN: 080-16-xxxx
Last Residence: 33322 Fort Lauderdale, Broward, Florida, United States of America
Born: 26 Apr 1905
Died: Apr 1977
Name: Marion Sgroi
SSN: 059-12-xxxx
Last Residence: 11362 Flushing, Queens, New York, United States of America
Born: 1 Dec 1904
Died: 23 Aug 2002
Biff
I don't know, I can ask my father tomorrow. But those dates look accurate. I'm about 98% sure that's my great grandfather and great grand-mother. My great grandmother recently passed about 5-10 years ago. And Joe Sgroi passed around when my father graduated HS. I got the age right at 72. I always remember seeing the birthday somewhere on Ancestry with Marion Amari being born Dec 1 1904. I really remember the Dec part.
So yes, that's them. I don't have knowledge at hand about the SSN though.