Italian Consulates

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
corrado
Elite
Elite
Posts: 385
Joined: 12 Dec 2006, 00:00
Location: Queens NY

Re: Italian Consulates

Post by corrado »

Please all of you stop this nonsense.... stop posting to this thead, it can lead to nothing good.
User avatar
teddi
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 100
Joined: 14 Sep 2008, 19:40

Re: Italian Consulates

Post by teddi »

teakandreggie wrote:Knowledge can only be obtain from asking questions and searching for the answers.
I am grateful for all the feed back on this topic. But I would like to hear from Italian citizens living in Italy, how they feel about dual Italian citizenship. Are they for it or against it.
You also asked:
What does the Italian Gov have to gain from granting us dual citizenship?
If they want us so bad, why are the Italian Consulates making it so difficult for us?
I understand the process for applying and know the advantages for Americans, but what does the Italian Gov have to gain from this.

As for how Italians feel about dual citizenship, their opinions vary, like anyone else. My wife is a dual citizen and we've lived in Italy for years. The Italians we know are less concerned with someone's legal citizenship than their Italianità. Speaking Italian, respecting Italian customs and social norms are what matter- an Italian passport, not so much.
User avatar
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 03 Oct 2009, 20:40

Re: Italian Consulates

Post by teakandreggie »

Thanks. I think that is true everywhere.
User avatar
jbp1966
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 25
Joined: 18 Nov 2009, 17:53

Re: Italian Consulates

Post by jbp1966 »

I work with about 40 Italians in Houston, TX who are here working expatriate assignments. A few have asked me why I want my Italian citizenship, but no one has discouraged me from pursuing it or given any negative feedback. In fact, quite a few have provided me with employment contacts for when I’m ready to relocate to Italy once I have my citizenship. Additionally, the three people I’ve communicated with at the Italian Consulate office in Houston, TX have been nothing but helpful and informative.

Just wanted to share my two cents.

-jp
User avatar
DeFilippis78
Master
Master
Posts: 1144
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19

Re: Italian Consulates

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Is it really true that muslims are taking over Italy? As a devout Catholic I might have to rethink ever living there if thats the case. I dont mean that in a mean way but if one culture/religion takes over the other is phased out. So what would happen to all the churches and art and christian history? I thrive on my religion and my church and I can never compromise it. Its the air I breathe. Thats all I mean. I was jsut wondering if the person who stated this earlier was just saying it or it is a fact

Alicia
User avatar
teddi
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 100
Joined: 14 Sep 2008, 19:40

Re: Italian Consulates

Post by teddi »

DeFilippis78 wrote:Is it really true that muslims are taking over Italy? As a devout Catholic I might have to rethink ever living there if thats the case. I dont mean that in a mean way but if one culture/religion takes over the other is phased out. So what would happen to all the churches and art and christian history? I thrive on my religion and my church and I can never compromise it. Its the air I breathe. Thats all I mean. I was jsut wondering if the person who stated this earlier was just saying it or it is a fact

Alicia
Of course Muslims are not taking over Italy. They are a tiny minority (only 3%, which is lower than Switzerland, Sweden, Netherlands, Germany, Belgium or Austria).
The person who stated this earlier doesn't live in Italy- please don't believe the misinformation people spread on the internet.
User avatar
arist
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 22:01

Re: Italian Consulates

Post by arist »

Do you honestly have to ask if Muslims or any other religious group are "taking over" Italy? Italy will be catholic majority until the end of time. The idea is as crazy the religion itself ;)
User avatar
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 37
Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 21:51

Re: Italian Consulates

Post by themilitantcatholic »

[quote="teakandreggie"]I believe you are right.
Our ancestors left Italy for a better life here. When life got to rough there, they took the first ship out. I don't blame Italians living in Italy for looking unfavorable toward us.





Both of my grandfathers returned to Italy during World War I and both fought for Italy. Italians that would lump all of us Italian-Americans (who desire dual-citizenship) into one category, would seem very narrow-minded to me.
User avatar
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 03 Oct 2009, 20:40

Re: Italian Consulates

Post by teakandreggie »

The Militant Catholic
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else, it certainly was not my intention. Please accept my apology.
Teak
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Italian Consulates

Post by PeterTimber »

The 1.2 birthrate in Italy is the lowest in europe and below replacement rate of native Italians while immigrants of various nationalities, races and backgrounds are expanding their numbers. This is occurring inthe USA as well as amongst Hispanics. Do the math and await the US census results. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
DeFilippis78
Master
Master
Posts: 1144
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19

Re: Italian Consulates

Post by DeFilippis78 »

This is true here and in Italy. My step father came here from Genoa. I have 4 children and my sister has 5 children. He thinks this is insane! He said where he is from 2 kids is considered a big family. Its him , his brother and sister and out of the 3 of them, none have had children or plan on it. Although, family I know from Napoli have bigger families. It might depend on the region. I dont know

And here in the US...forget it! I get more dirty looks for having a big family then you can imagine. I tell them Im a good Catholic :)

Alicia
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Italian Consulates

Post by wldspirit »

It is not my intention to offend anyone, however, I am locking this thread until further review.

Thanks,
wldspirit
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Locked