Does anyone know anything about a tuberculous ridden Palermo jail from the 1870s known as the "Rain of Tears" or "Reign of Tears" -
Was this a jail for serious crimes only, or would have those who received or offered aid to the brigands also have been sent there?
Thank you.
"Rain of Tears" Palermo Jail
- seabreezes1
- Rookie

- Posts: 71
- Joined: 21 Feb 2009, 01:00
- Location: Gloucester, MA
- Contact:
"Rain of Tears" Palermo Jail
Karen
Sicilian Family: Favazza, Favaloro, LoChirco, Russo
Lombard Family: Aspesi, Morosi, Ferrazzi, Zocchi, Caru
Website: http://www.karenfavazzaspencer.com
Sicilian Family: Favazza, Favaloro, LoChirco, Russo
Lombard Family: Aspesi, Morosi, Ferrazzi, Zocchi, Caru
Website: http://www.karenfavazzaspencer.com
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: "Rain of Tears" Palermo Jail
I believe Palermo's prison is known as Carcere dell'Ucciardone or Ucciardone Prison. Perhaps that would be a starting point for research.seabreezes1 wrote:Does anyone know anything about a tuberculous ridden Palermo jail from the 1870s known as the "Rain of Tears" or "Reign of Tears" -
Was this a jail for serious crimes only, or would have those who received or offered aid to the brigands also have been sent there?
Thank you.
Built in 1807 and still in use; there are many photos in Google's images library, http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&r ... CBsQsAQwAw
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- seabreezes1
- Rookie

- Posts: 71
- Joined: 21 Feb 2009, 01:00
- Location: Gloucester, MA
- Contact:
Re: "Rain of Tears" Palermo Jail
Thank you. Where the "maxi trials" were - very interesting. I'm not connecting Ucciardone (thistle) to that nickname, and actually, I don't know if the Rain of Tears prison was actually in the city of Palermo or just the region. But I'll continue to research that avenue.
Karen
Sicilian Family: Favazza, Favaloro, LoChirco, Russo
Lombard Family: Aspesi, Morosi, Ferrazzi, Zocchi, Caru
Website: http://www.karenfavazzaspencer.com
Sicilian Family: Favazza, Favaloro, LoChirco, Russo
Lombard Family: Aspesi, Morosi, Ferrazzi, Zocchi, Caru
Website: http://www.karenfavazzaspencer.com
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: "Rain of Tears" Palermo Jail
I wonder if this is a case of mixed metaphors?
The phrase "Reign of Tears" seems to be associated with alcohol abuse and the Temperance/Prohibition movement.
By the way, I believe TB was a problem in many/most prisons. Relatively easily spread; prisons would be a perfect breeding ground for this disease.
The phrase "Reign of Tears" seems to be associated with alcohol abuse and the Temperance/Prohibition movement.
By the way, I believe TB was a problem in many/most prisons. Relatively easily spread; prisons would be a perfect breeding ground for this disease.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: "Rain of Tears" Palermo Jail
hi Karen,
i look to my books about History of Palermo and i found some "lazaret" (like leper hospital). One of this was near the Ucciardone jail and the port of Palermo, but i can't find the words "Reign of Tears". Maybe is another lazaret/hospital : the ancient Hospital of Spasm (http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiesa_di_ ... _(Palermo) only in italian). Have you other informations to localize this hospital?
best regards
i look to my books about History of Palermo and i found some "lazaret" (like leper hospital). One of this was near the Ucciardone jail and the port of Palermo, but i can't find the words "Reign of Tears". Maybe is another lazaret/hospital : the ancient Hospital of Spasm (http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiesa_di_ ... _(Palermo) only in italian). Have you other informations to localize this hospital?
best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
- seabreezes1
- Rookie

- Posts: 71
- Joined: 21 Feb 2009, 01:00
- Location: Gloucester, MA
- Contact:
Re: "Rain of Tears" Palermo Jail
Interesting - one of the plague hospitals. I've read about those, especially in Manzoni's "The Betrothed."
Although I have faith in both the family stories and the incarceration of the unfortunate couple, I can't be certain the nickname to the jail is accurate. This is something passed down from 150 years ago and could have got confused at some point. I know about Thistle Jail, Ucciardone, and think that could have been a likely destination for the murderers; although I hope not for the brigand collaborators. I hope there is a difference between committing murder and accepting a loaf of bread (shades of Les Miserable.)
BTW: I had a g-g-g aunt who was with Father Giacomo Cusmano, first as an orphan then as a sister, from 1873 onwards. As a member of "Boccone del Povero," working during the cholera epidemics, she would have been familiar with the Chiesa di Santa Maria dello Spasimo.
Thank you. There are many twists & turns, but always something interesting and new to learn!
Although I have faith in both the family stories and the incarceration of the unfortunate couple, I can't be certain the nickname to the jail is accurate. This is something passed down from 150 years ago and could have got confused at some point. I know about Thistle Jail, Ucciardone, and think that could have been a likely destination for the murderers; although I hope not for the brigand collaborators. I hope there is a difference between committing murder and accepting a loaf of bread (shades of Les Miserable.)
BTW: I had a g-g-g aunt who was with Father Giacomo Cusmano, first as an orphan then as a sister, from 1873 onwards. As a member of "Boccone del Povero," working during the cholera epidemics, she would have been familiar with the Chiesa di Santa Maria dello Spasimo.
Thank you. There are many twists & turns, but always something interesting and new to learn!
Karen
Sicilian Family: Favazza, Favaloro, LoChirco, Russo
Lombard Family: Aspesi, Morosi, Ferrazzi, Zocchi, Caru
Website: http://www.karenfavazzaspencer.com
Sicilian Family: Favazza, Favaloro, LoChirco, Russo
Lombard Family: Aspesi, Morosi, Ferrazzi, Zocchi, Caru
Website: http://www.karenfavazzaspencer.com
Re: "Rain of Tears" Palermo Jail
Hi Karen,
there's another possibility: the ancient Jail of "Vicaria" . Before the construction of "Ucciardone" Jail, was the main jail of Palermo. It was too little for 1500 prisoners and the lived in inhuman state. Hunger, diseases,violence was normal condition. There was a little hospital for prisoners. For those was built the new Jail "Ucciardone" inspired by the jail of Philadelphia, PA. The ancient building of Vicaria Jail still exist but now is a governative building.
Are you sure about the word "rain=pioggia" or regno=reign,kingdom"
regards
there's another possibility: the ancient Jail of "Vicaria" . Before the construction of "Ucciardone" Jail, was the main jail of Palermo. It was too little for 1500 prisoners and the lived in inhuman state. Hunger, diseases,violence was normal condition. There was a little hospital for prisoners. For those was built the new Jail "Ucciardone" inspired by the jail of Philadelphia, PA. The ancient building of Vicaria Jail still exist but now is a governative building.
Are you sure about the word "rain=pioggia" or regno=reign,kingdom"
regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
- seabreezes1
- Rookie

- Posts: 71
- Joined: 21 Feb 2009, 01:00
- Location: Gloucester, MA
- Contact:
Re: "Rain of Tears" Palermo Jail
Hi -
Have no idea if it's Reign or Rain. My sources heard a double murder story as little girls about an in-law's family. The event would have taken place probably in the 1880s, but possibly as early as 1840...., don't have the exact identities (and won't pursue - it's a tragic story and don't want to upset descendants in that branch of the family). If I ever write a book (and I won't need to use much imagination at all with all the material I'm unearthing!) this story will find it's way into the fiction.
Ciao~
Have no idea if it's Reign or Rain. My sources heard a double murder story as little girls about an in-law's family. The event would have taken place probably in the 1880s, but possibly as early as 1840...., don't have the exact identities (and won't pursue - it's a tragic story and don't want to upset descendants in that branch of the family). If I ever write a book (and I won't need to use much imagination at all with all the material I'm unearthing!) this story will find it's way into the fiction.
Ciao~
Karen
Sicilian Family: Favazza, Favaloro, LoChirco, Russo
Lombard Family: Aspesi, Morosi, Ferrazzi, Zocchi, Caru
Website: http://www.karenfavazzaspencer.com
Sicilian Family: Favazza, Favaloro, LoChirco, Russo
Lombard Family: Aspesi, Morosi, Ferrazzi, Zocchi, Caru
Website: http://www.karenfavazzaspencer.com
