Sarseiao

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Sarseiao

Post by chrisdamato »

Misbris,

The manifest doesn't give a town of birth. Just port of origin (Naples). There was an Arzento D'Amato with him, but I can't find ANY info on that person. Nothing in the 1900 Census records shows him. Perhaps he went back to Italy before 1900, perhaps he passed away? Are there records of ships going from New York to Italy? If so, how do I find them. There seems to only be immigration records, not emigration records. I was hoping to find out if this was an older sibling, cousin, etc...
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Sarseiao

Post by chrisdamato »

I just wanted to let you all know that you've been a great help so far. Thank you for pointing me in a good direction. I will keep you posted on my findings. It supposedly takes up to 20 business days to get the SS info. Can't wait!!!
User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: Sarseiao

Post by misbris »

No records of ships going the other way.

Try searching first name Arsenio. He may have made more than one trip. (After all that the name of the patron saint of the town.)
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Sarseiao

Post by chrisdamato »

Isn't it amazing that they can practically tell you how many times a pharoah went to the bathroom each day 3000 yrs ago, but we can't get certain info from 100 yrs ago??? LOL

I also wish they hired people who could write legibly!!!
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Sarseiao

Post by PeterTimber »

Could the town of origin for your family be SARSINA 47027 (province of Forli-Cesna) Emilia Romagna rfegion of northern Italy. There are 2 D'Amato listed in the telephone directory www.paginebianche.it in businesses there. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Sarseiao

Post by chrisdamato »

Peter,

I am leaning against him being from the northern part of Italy, especially since I've always been told he was from the Naples area, and also that he sailed out of the port of Naples when coming to America. But thank you for the suggestion.

Chris
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Sarseiao

Post by chrisdamato »

If it turns out that S. Arsenio is the real town of his birth, how can I get copies of his birth certificate? I've been told that you need to go directly to the town for this information. Is this true or are records kept in a central location in the country?
User avatar
misbris
Master
Master
Posts: 2258
Joined: 14 Jan 2007, 00:00
Location: NJ

Re: Sarseiao

Post by misbris »

It is a little town. The last name is well known. I don't think you will have any trouble. In Italy, all records are kept in the town.

Other postings will give you info about form letters in Italian etc



Here is some info on the town.

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/065/129/index.html
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Sarseiao

Post by PeterTimber »

send request to www.tuttitalia.it/campania/51-sant-arsenio and mail to MUNICIPIO address UFFICIO DI STATO CIVILE.

Form letter in Italian http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
There is no charge. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Sarseiao

Post by chrisdamato »

I received my great grandfather's information from the Social Security Administration. It did, in fact, list the names of his parents. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get any further with that information. Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org do not have any matches to either one of them. I was hoping someone here could lend a hand.

Father's name is Nicola D'Amato. Mother's name is Madelene Pandolfo. I do not have birth dates or places.

Any help would be appreciated.
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Sarseiao

Post by chrisdamato »

I don't know if anyone has had experience with obtaining records from towns in Italy, but it's been nearly 10 weeks since I sent my request to SantArsenio for my great grandfather's birth record. No response yet.

Any suggestions???
User avatar
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 186
Joined: 25 Apr 2008, 15:32

Re: Sarseiao

Post by Seraphina »

Hi Chris,

Yes, sometimes these things take a few weeks to arrive. However, in case your letter has gone astray in the post (very possible, from my own experience) here is the email address of the office at the Comune of Sant Arsenio:

santarsenio.s@tiscali.it

You have to make your request in Italian, and keep it as simple as possible.

I have had more replies to my requests when I have sent them by email.

Good luck.

Seraphina
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Sarseiao

Post by chrisdamato »

Thanks, I just sent them an email. Keeping my fingers crossed that I get a response.
User avatar
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite
Posts: 277
Joined: 10 Feb 2010, 14:00
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Sarseiao

Post by chrisdamato »

I just received a reply from Sant'Arsenio, Italy regarding my great grandfather's birth certificate. I need some help translating it:

Il giorno trenta del mese di settembre dell'anno milleottocentosettantanove alle ore primo e minuti zero a Sant'Arsenio

E' nato D'Amato Pietro di sesso maschile

Come risulta dall'atto N.99 P.I

Annotazioni:

Nessuna

N.: 18475
User avatar
maestra36
Master
Master
Posts: 3422
Joined: 19 Oct 2007, 00:00

Re: Sarseiao

Post by maestra36 »

It says on the 30th of the month of Sept in the year 1879 at the hour 1 and zero minutes in Sant"Arsenio

was born D'Amato Pietro of masculine sex

as resulted from the act number ##99 Part I

annotations-none (this means there is no additional information such as marriage information noted on the birth act)

I am not sure what the last number means, but it may be the number of the record they made for you by extracting the information from the town registers.
Post Reply