Certification of Nonexistence of a Record

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
Mulé
Elite
Elite
Posts: 266
Joined: 16 Nov 2009, 18:38

Re: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record

Post by Mulé »

Wow that was super quick... What was the wording on it? part 4 I think on most letters...
User avatar
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 131
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 20:37

Re: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record

Post by cdevita »

"That after a diligent search was performed in these database systems; no record is found to exist relating to the subject listed below:"

The new statement they are now requiring is only issued to those who have ancestors who may have a declariation of intent to naturalize, or have ANY record, but never complete the process. This seems to be what the situation is in NY only.
User avatar
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 131
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 20:37

Re: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record

Post by cdevita »

Also, along with a copy of the letter from USCIS--I sent to them copies of everything from NARA, NY County clerks office, USCIS, 1930 census report, birth certificate, etc. I guess I did a lot of work for them...
Drew927
Elite
Elite
Posts: 261
Joined: 15 Mar 2009, 18:24

Re: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record

Post by Drew927 »

I've been waiting two months to hear from the USCIS. In the mean time I have collected No Records Found letters from four other sources relating to the counties in which my grandfather lived (including NARA).

I am also going through the NY Consulate, so can you tell me how you worded your request to USCIS to get the required response? I am certain that he never applied for naturalization so i've also included a certified copy of the 1930 census.
User avatar
Mulé
Elite
Elite
Posts: 266
Joined: 16 Nov 2009, 18:38

Re: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record

Post by Mulé »

I also included all my back up no records data with my request.

I got both of these responses back...

1. 2009 USCIS no records certification
"That after a diligent search was performed in these database systems, no record was found to exist indicating that the subject listed below obtained naturalization as a citizen of the United States:"
Searched for the exact name, plus 2 mis-spellings as appeared on 1920/1930 census.

2. 2009 USCIS no records certification with 3 alternate spellings
"That after a diligent search was performed in these database systems; no record is found to exist relating to the subject listed below:"
Searched for the exact name, plus the Italian version.
Drew927
Elite
Elite
Posts: 261
Joined: 15 Mar 2009, 18:24

Re: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record

Post by Drew927 »

Ok, thanks. I will send my request again and add the back up no records data. Hopefully I will get some results.
User avatar
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 131
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 20:37

Re: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record

Post by cdevita »

@Mulé: Are you in NY?
User avatar
Mulé
Elite
Elite
Posts: 266
Joined: 16 Nov 2009, 18:38

Re: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record

Post by Mulé »

Nope - I am in New Hampshire
User avatar
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 131
Joined: 23 Oct 2009, 20:37

Re: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record

Post by cdevita »

Just wondering why this better except was used on your letter--"That after a diligent search was performed in these database systems, no record was found to exist indicating that the subject listed below obtained naturalization as a citizen of the United States:"
User avatar
Mulé
Elite
Elite
Posts: 266
Joined: 16 Nov 2009, 18:38

Re: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record

Post by Mulé »

I am not sure. I do know that I sent off 6 letters to USCIS requesting this non-existence letter. The first three I did not include any of the supporting documentation or facts, which I sent to each of the three addresses posted. About 2 weeks later, I sent out another set, with full facts and supporting no records letters. Within a couple of weeks I got back the first response, then another 2 (duplicate) responses with this NEW wording. I presented both at my meeting and they still requested additional proof. lol
User avatar
shannonsapt
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 16:24

Re: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record

Post by shannonsapt »

Congrats on getting all of your documents!

I am also going to be applying in Los Angeles and need to obtain certificates of non-existence for my great grandfather.

I think I've figured out how to do the index search at USCIS, but I have not been able to figure out how to do a census record search, NARA search and county clerk search and then get the certified letters of no record. I have been all over the internet. message boards, websites, etc. and I can't seem to figure it out.

Would you be willing to share how you got those documents and any advice/tips you may have. My GGF lived in New York State when he was here, so I'm guessing the county court search would need to be a New York State court?

Thank you in advance for any help.
User avatar
shannonsapt
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 16:24

Re: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record

Post by shannonsapt »

Congrats on getting all of your documents!

I am also going to be applying in Los Angeles and need to obtain certificates of non-existence for my great grandfather.

I think I've figured out how to do the index search at USCIS, but I have not been able to figure out how to do a census record search, NARA search and county clerk search and then get the certified letters of no record. I have been all over the internet. message boards, websites, etc. and I can't seem to figure it out.

Would you be willing to share how you got those documents and any advice/tips you may have. My GGF lived in New York State when he was here, so I'm guessing the county court search would need to be a New York State court?

Thank you in advance for any help.
User avatar
DeFilippis78
Master
Master
Posts: 1144
Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 02:19

Re: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Shannonsapt,

You might want to start a new thread for your question requesting help so more people will see it :)

Alicia
User avatar
shannonsapt
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 20 Mar 2010, 16:24

Re: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record

Post by shannonsapt »

Good idea, Alicia!

I will do that.
Post Reply