Campobasso
-
JohnArmellino
- Master

- Posts: 697
- Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
- Location: West New York (NJ)
- Contact:
Re: Campobasso
Lisa - According to the Ellis Island manifest, your GGF Antonio Petitti was from Venafro, a very old town with both Samnite and Roman roots. He was traveling with his uncle, Rocco Celino. There were also quite a few other members of your extended family traveling with them, all going to Philadelphia to join your 3GGF Antonio Vernecchia.
Today, Venafro is in the Province of Isernia, Region of Molise. During the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, Venafro was in the distretto di Piedimonte, provincia di Terra di Lavoro. However, www.familysearch.org has Venafro listed under Campobasso, so perhaps it was part of the Province of Campobasso at one point in time. There are 21 films available from the LDS for Venafro, covering the Registri della Stato Civile, 1809-1899.
Petitti is also a very old surname from the comune of Campobasso, often married into the di Capoa family, and considered to be of the upper class. However, my research does not show any connection between that Petitti family and Venafro.
Today, Venafro is in the Province of Isernia, Region of Molise. During the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, Venafro was in the distretto di Piedimonte, provincia di Terra di Lavoro. However, www.familysearch.org has Venafro listed under Campobasso, so perhaps it was part of the Province of Campobasso at one point in time. There are 21 films available from the LDS for Venafro, covering the Registri della Stato Civile, 1809-1899.
Petitti is also a very old surname from the comune of Campobasso, often married into the di Capoa family, and considered to be of the upper class. However, my research does not show any connection between that Petitti family and Venafro.
John Armellino
Re: Campobasso
The death cert for my great grandmother says her mother's maiden name was Rosa Libertucci and she was married to Policarpo Spinelli. However, the marriage certicate for her daughter, Maria Vincenza Incoronata Spinelli, shows her mother's last name to be Rubertucci and I am trying to resolve the dilema.
Maria was married in Riccia iin 1884 to Antonio DelColle. That would make the Rosa Libertucci I am seeking to have been born probably around 1840. ANy connection?
Thanks,
Bob
Maria was married in Riccia iin 1884 to Antonio DelColle. That would make the Rosa Libertucci I am seeking to have been born probably around 1840. ANy connection?
Thanks,
Bob
-
JohnArmellino
- Master

- Posts: 697
- Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
- Location: West New York (NJ)
- Contact:
Re: Campobasso
Bob - My database does not have a Rosa Libertucci married to a Policarpo Spinelli nor anyone by the name of Rubertucci. I do have a few Spinelli in the database, but none are from Riccia. The surname del Colle is quite common in Campobasso (CB). The Registri dello Stato Civile for Riccia has been microfilmed by the LDS and can be rented and viewed at your local FHC. Go to www.familysearch.org, follow the links Library<Family History Library Catalog<Place Search, and enter Riccia to view the film notes. You can also find your closest FHC at the site. If your family originated in Riccia, you should be able to find the birth record for your 2GGM Rosa Libertucci aka Rubertucci, as well as those for her children and her ancestors. Pay particular attention to the processetti records, which contain a wealth of information. The processetti of Riccia have been filmed for the years 1809-1865.
John Armellino
Re: Campobasso
Hi John, I am researching Mastrangelos and Brunettis from Oratino, what do you have?
-
JohnArmellino
- Master

- Posts: 697
- Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
- Location: West New York (NJ)
- Contact:
Re: Campobasso
You wrote in a different forum:
I have almost all of the Oratino marriages 1809-1910 in my database. However, I haven't canvassed the birth records yet. I see that your ancestor Gennaro Mastrangelo was born in Oratino circa 1860/1870 and that his son Giovanni was born in Oratino circa 1898. Thus, I should have the Gennaro Mastrangelo marriage in my database -- but I don't. Perhaps he married a woman from a different comune and, according to custom, was married in the bride's comune. Do you have any information about Gennaro Mastrangelo's wife? Based on Giovanni Mastrangelo's estimated year of birth, he would have been married to Sperentina Brunetti after 1910 (the filmed records end with that year). Do you have any information about Sperentina's parents. They should also be in my database.Hello, I saw your post and I am researching a Mastrangelo family from Oratino. I have the name Gennaro Mastrangelo probably born around 1870, 1860? He had a son Giovanni born around 1898 in Oratino and who settled in Cleveland, OH. Giovanni was married to a Sperentina "Tina" Brunetti (1898 - 1988). I think Giovanni had a brother Angelo "Charlie" Mastrangelo born in 1891. Do you have any information about this family?
John Armellino
Re: Campobasso
I do not have information about Sperentina's parents. This is what I know:
I have Giovanni's death certificate that lists his date of birth as June 22, 1898 in Oratino. It lists his father as Gennaro Mastrangelo, also from Oratina, and his mother as - it looks like Floresina - but her last name is listed as Mastrangelo, also from Oratino. His wife is Sperentina Brunetti. His death certificate lists the "informant" as Carl Fatica and I keep finding ship manifests with Mastrangelos along with Faticas. From other information I have it looks like Sperentina "Tina" remarried in Ohio after Giovanni died in 1937 and she married an Angelo "Charlie" Mastrangelo. I found a ship manifest with an Angelo Mastrangelo from Oratino coming to visit his father Gennaro in Ohio so I think Angelo and Giovanni may have been brothers.
I have Giovanni's death certificate that lists his date of birth as June 22, 1898 in Oratino. It lists his father as Gennaro Mastrangelo, also from Oratina, and his mother as - it looks like Floresina - but her last name is listed as Mastrangelo, also from Oratino. His wife is Sperentina Brunetti. His death certificate lists the "informant" as Carl Fatica and I keep finding ship manifests with Mastrangelos along with Faticas. From other information I have it looks like Sperentina "Tina" remarried in Ohio after Giovanni died in 1937 and she married an Angelo "Charlie" Mastrangelo. I found a ship manifest with an Angelo Mastrangelo from Oratino coming to visit his father Gennaro in Ohio so I think Angelo and Giovanni may have been brothers.
-
JohnArmellino
- Master

- Posts: 697
- Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
- Location: West New York (NJ)
- Contact:
Re: Campobasso
Okay, I might have your Gennaro Mastrangelo in my database.
Gennaro Mastrangelo, age 21, son of Angelo Mastrangelo and Angela Maria Iafelice, married Eufrasina Mastrangelo, age 21, daughter of Egidio Mastrangelo and Teresa Fatica, on 17 APR 1890 in Oratino. Source: Oratino (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1761637/MATRIMONI 1890/Parte I/Numero 4, 17 APR 1890.
I believe this is the Gennaro Mastrangelo who arrived at Ellis Island on 02 MAY 1903. He was traveling with his 1C1R Sisto Fatica and going to the home of his brother Domenicantonio Mastrangelo in Willoughby, Ohio.
Gennaro Mastrangelo is my 5C3R. If he is, in fact, your ancestor then we are distant cousins.
Gennaro Mastrangelo, age 21, son of Angelo Mastrangelo and Angela Maria Iafelice, married Eufrasina Mastrangelo, age 21, daughter of Egidio Mastrangelo and Teresa Fatica, on 17 APR 1890 in Oratino. Source: Oratino (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1761637/MATRIMONI 1890/Parte I/Numero 4, 17 APR 1890.
I believe this is the Gennaro Mastrangelo who arrived at Ellis Island on 02 MAY 1903. He was traveling with his 1C1R Sisto Fatica and going to the home of his brother Domenicantonio Mastrangelo in Willoughby, Ohio.
Gennaro Mastrangelo is my 5C3R. If he is, in fact, your ancestor then we are distant cousins.
John Armellino
Re: Campobasso
I found that ship's manifest from 1903 and thought it might be a match. It would make sense since a Fatica was close enough to give info for his death certificate. You would actually be my niece's cousin. I have researched my ancestors on both sides. My brother married a Mastrangelo and they had a daughter in November. I wanted to trace her family tree for her and this kind of becomes an addiction! My brother's wife is the granddaughter of James Mastrangelo, son of Giovanni and grandson of Gennaro.
I found a ship's manifest from a ship that arrived in New York July 29, 1927
with Sperentina Brunetti. It says she is coming to Ohio to see her husband Giovanni in Cleveland, and it also names her father-in-law, Gennaro, in Oratino. So interesting. Thank you so much!
Where are you getting your information? Is there a record of births in Oratino? There used to be a family history center about 20 minutes from me but it closed, I think there is one about an hour from me but they have such limited hours.
I found a ship's manifest from a ship that arrived in New York July 29, 1927
with Sperentina Brunetti. It says she is coming to Ohio to see her husband Giovanni in Cleveland, and it also names her father-in-law, Gennaro, in Oratino. So interesting. Thank you so much!
Where are you getting your information? Is there a record of births in Oratino? There used to be a family history center about 20 minutes from me but it closed, I think there is one about an hour from me but they have such limited hours.
Re: Campobasso
I just found an obituary for a Domenicantonio Mastrangelo and he was married to Filomena Fatica. Here it is:
Id#: 0628364
Name: Mastrangelo, Domenicantonio
Date: Oct 24 1959
Source: Cleveland Press; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #134.
Notes: Mastrangelo, Domenicantonio, beloved husband of Filomena (nee Fatica), dear father of Mrs. Olivia Cornacchione, Evelino and Del. brother of Calmen, and grandfather. Friends received at A. Vitantonio & Son Funeral Home, 2097 Murray Hill Rd., From 2-5 And 7-10 P. M. Funeral Monday, Oct. 26 at 9:30 a. m. at Holy Rosary Church.
I also found this:
Id#: 0628361
Name: Mastrangelo, Carmine
Date: Dec 19 1961
Source: Plain Dealer; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #134.
Notes: Beloved husband of Jennie (nee Iafelice); dear father of Mrs. Marie Zammataro, Joseph I; grandfather and great-grandfather; brother of Genaro, Pasquale, Martantonia, all of Italy (deceased), Domenic Antonio (deceased). Friends received at A. Vitantonio & Son Funeral Home, 2097 Murray Hill Rd. Sunday, 2-10 P. M. Funeral Monday at 9:30 a. m., at Holy Rosary Church.
#: 0628360
Name: Mastrangelo, Angelo C. (Charlie)
Date: Jan 31 1973
Source: Cleveland Press; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #134.
Notes: Mastrangelo. Angelo C. Mastrangelo (Charlie), beloved husband of Tina (nee Brunetti), dearest step-father of James, devoted grandfather of John, James Jr., Christopher and Bonnie, dear brother of John (deceased), Michael of Canada and Celestino, Angela, Incornata, all of Italy. Funeral Mass 11 A.M. Thursday, Feb. 1, at St. Gregory The Great Church. The family will receive friends of The DiCicco & Sons Funeral Home, 5976 Mayfield Rd., Mayfield Hts. (At Lander Rd.), Wednesday 2-4 And 7-9 P.M.
Id#: 0628367
Name: Mastrangelo, Giovannina
Date: Jul 4 1974
Source: Plain Dealer; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #134.
Notes: Mastrangelo. Giovannina Mastrangelo (nee Iafetice), beloved wife of the late Carmine, devoted mother of Mrs. Louis Zammataro (Marie), Joseph (Italo), grandmother of six, great-grandmother of two, dear sister of Mrs. Angela DiPalma (deceased), Mrs. Carmella Iatelice of Canada. Funeral Mass Friday, July 5, Holy Rosary Church, 10 a.m. Friends received at The Conti Funeral Home, 2110 Murray Hill Rd. Visiting Hours Thursday, 2-4 And 7-9 P.M. Member of The Holy Rosary Society.
Id#: 0628364
Name: Mastrangelo, Domenicantonio
Date: Oct 24 1959
Source: Cleveland Press; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #134.
Notes: Mastrangelo, Domenicantonio, beloved husband of Filomena (nee Fatica), dear father of Mrs. Olivia Cornacchione, Evelino and Del. brother of Calmen, and grandfather. Friends received at A. Vitantonio & Son Funeral Home, 2097 Murray Hill Rd., From 2-5 And 7-10 P. M. Funeral Monday, Oct. 26 at 9:30 a. m. at Holy Rosary Church.
I also found this:
Id#: 0628361
Name: Mastrangelo, Carmine
Date: Dec 19 1961
Source: Plain Dealer; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #134.
Notes: Beloved husband of Jennie (nee Iafelice); dear father of Mrs. Marie Zammataro, Joseph I; grandfather and great-grandfather; brother of Genaro, Pasquale, Martantonia, all of Italy (deceased), Domenic Antonio (deceased). Friends received at A. Vitantonio & Son Funeral Home, 2097 Murray Hill Rd. Sunday, 2-10 P. M. Funeral Monday at 9:30 a. m., at Holy Rosary Church.
#: 0628360
Name: Mastrangelo, Angelo C. (Charlie)
Date: Jan 31 1973
Source: Cleveland Press; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #134.
Notes: Mastrangelo. Angelo C. Mastrangelo (Charlie), beloved husband of Tina (nee Brunetti), dearest step-father of James, devoted grandfather of John, James Jr., Christopher and Bonnie, dear brother of John (deceased), Michael of Canada and Celestino, Angela, Incornata, all of Italy. Funeral Mass 11 A.M. Thursday, Feb. 1, at St. Gregory The Great Church. The family will receive friends of The DiCicco & Sons Funeral Home, 5976 Mayfield Rd., Mayfield Hts. (At Lander Rd.), Wednesday 2-4 And 7-9 P.M.
Id#: 0628367
Name: Mastrangelo, Giovannina
Date: Jul 4 1974
Source: Plain Dealer; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #134.
Notes: Mastrangelo. Giovannina Mastrangelo (nee Iafetice), beloved wife of the late Carmine, devoted mother of Mrs. Louis Zammataro (Marie), Joseph (Italo), grandmother of six, great-grandmother of two, dear sister of Mrs. Angela DiPalma (deceased), Mrs. Carmella Iatelice of Canada. Funeral Mass Friday, July 5, Holy Rosary Church, 10 a.m. Friends received at The Conti Funeral Home, 2110 Murray Hill Rd. Visiting Hours Thursday, 2-4 And 7-9 P.M. Member of The Holy Rosary Society.
-
JohnArmellino
- Master

- Posts: 697
- Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
- Location: West New York (NJ)
- Contact:
Re: Campobasso
My database was extracted from the Registri dello Stato Civile of Oratino, 1809-1910. These records (birth, marriage, death, and misc records) have been filmed by the LDS and I'm lucky enough to have a Family History Center a few miles from my home. I'll check the records for Giovanni's birth tomorrow night for confirmation. I'll also look for Sperentina Brunetti. The Brunetti family was one of the most notable families of Oratino, producing many, many artists. The ceiling and walls of Santa Maria dell'Assunta, a beautiful church located in Oratino, are decorated with frescoes painted by Ciriaco Brunetti during the eighteenth century.
John Armellino
Re: Campobasso
Do you have the marriage of Angelo Mastrangelo and Angela Iafelice?
-
JohnArmellino
- Master

- Posts: 697
- Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
- Location: West New York (NJ)
- Contact:
Re: Campobasso
Carmine is Gennaro's younger brother:
Carmine Mastrangelo, age 26, son of Angelo Mastrangelo and Angela Maria Iafelice, married Maria Giovanna Iafelice, age 22, daughter of Giuseppe Iafelice and Mariantonia Fatica, on 07 FEB 1910 in Oratino. Source: Oratino (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1761637/MATRIMONI 1910/Parte I/Numero 4, 7 FEB 1910.
I also have the marriage of Angelo Mastrangelo and Angela Maria Iafelice:
Angelo Mastrangelo, age 19, son of Antonio Mastrangelo and Maria Antonio Pinto, married Angela Maria Iafelice, age 21, daughter of Domenico Iafelice and Carmina Fatica, on 08 FEB 1866 in Oratino. Source: Oratino (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1761637/MATRIMONI 1866/Numero d'ordine 1, 8 FEB 1866.
I have more information about these family lines. If you would like some charts, let me know where to email them.
Congrats on the birth of your niece. My daughter had twin boys on October 11th. They are 10th cousins to your niece! Their common ancestors are Antonio Iarocci (born circa 1700) and Diana Santangelo (born circa 1700), both of Ferrazzano. Ferrazzano is a small comune about 8 miles from Oratino. It's also the ancestral home of the actor Robert De Niro.
Carmine Mastrangelo, age 26, son of Angelo Mastrangelo and Angela Maria Iafelice, married Maria Giovanna Iafelice, age 22, daughter of Giuseppe Iafelice and Mariantonia Fatica, on 07 FEB 1910 in Oratino. Source: Oratino (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1761637/MATRIMONI 1910/Parte I/Numero 4, 7 FEB 1910.
I also have the marriage of Angelo Mastrangelo and Angela Maria Iafelice:
Angelo Mastrangelo, age 19, son of Antonio Mastrangelo and Maria Antonio Pinto, married Angela Maria Iafelice, age 21, daughter of Domenico Iafelice and Carmina Fatica, on 08 FEB 1866 in Oratino. Source: Oratino (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1761637/MATRIMONI 1866/Numero d'ordine 1, 8 FEB 1866.
I have more information about these family lines. If you would like some charts, let me know where to email them.
Congrats on the birth of your niece. My daughter had twin boys on October 11th. They are 10th cousins to your niece! Their common ancestors are Antonio Iarocci (born circa 1700) and Diana Santangelo (born circa 1700), both of Ferrazzano. Ferrazzano is a small comune about 8 miles from Oratino. It's also the ancestral home of the actor Robert De Niro.
John Armellino
Re: Campobasso
Yes, I would like the charts! You can email them to:
daisy1732@att.net
Thank you again and congratulations on your grandchildren!
daisy1732@att.net
Thank you again and congratulations on your grandchildren!
Re: Campobasso
Hi again John! You were so helpful with the Mastrangelo line, I'm wondering if you have any info about another family. My sister also married an italian from Campobasso, an Antonelli. They were from a place called Rionero Sannitica?
-
JohnArmellino
- Master

- Posts: 697
- Joined: 09 Jun 2003, 00:00
- Location: West New York (NJ)
- Contact:
Re: Campobasso
Rionero Sannitico is a small town of about 1100 located in the province of Isernia, about 70 km from the town of Campobasso. Isernia is one of two provinces that make up the region of Molise, the other being Campobasso. Since Molise was created as a region circa 1963, Rionera Sannitico may have been part of Campobasso sometime in the past. However, it's located in an area that has been traditionally known as Isernia even prior to the formation of the Kingdom of Italy. Antonelli is the second most common surname in this town. I don't have any info on this family as I've done no research in that area of Molise. However, the Registri dello stato civile di Rionero Sannitico, 1809-1899, has been filmed by the LDS. If interested, you should be able to find your brother-in-law's family in these records.
John Armellino
