Today I received my Italian Citizenship!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
LAROCCAMOM
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 45
Joined: 29 Aug 2009, 18:48
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Today I received my Italian Citizenship!

Post by LAROCCAMOM »

Congratulations....about time :!: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
jcira
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: 19 Sep 2008, 02:42

Re: Today I received my Italian Citizenship!

Post by jcira »

My Great Grandparents were from Sicily
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Today I received my Italian Citizenship!

Post by johnnyonthespot »

jcira wrote:My Great Grandparents were from Sicily
Well, the gist of it is this:

If your great-grandfather came to the US and became a naturalized US citizen after your grandfather was born or he never naturalized at all, then there is a very good chance that you would be entitled to claim Italian citizenship by blood right - formally known as "jure sanguinis". This citizenship would also flow to your children (easily) and to your spouse (possibly easily, possibly with a bit more work - depends on various particulars).

There are many reasons why people find this enticing, perhaps chief among them the ability to live and work in Italy or any other EU country without the usual restrictions encountered by non-citizens.

You can find more details on the process in this Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_citizenship and many other web sites. Or, just start a new thread in this forum with more detailed info on what you know of your grandparents and great-grandparents and we'll see where that leads us.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
Mulé
Elite
Elite
Posts: 266
Joined: 16 Nov 2009, 18:38

Re: Today I received my Italian Citizenship!

Post by Mulé »

Congratulations
User avatar
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 199
Joined: 23 Dec 2007, 15:31
Location: Katy Texas USA

Re: Today I received my Italian Citizenship!

Post by johnlabarbera »

Thanks everyone!!! It's been an incredible journey!!!
Post Reply