My husband's father grew up in St. Nicholas, Aoste. He was educated by the Benedictines somewhere in the area. We believe he was sent to a monastery. The only specific reference we have to the place is written as: "RR. P.P. Benedictins de Cluny, Aoste, Italy". Does anyone know of such an institution in that area? This would have been 1926 to 1931.
Thanks!
Cyndy
Benedictines in Aoste
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Benedictines in Aoste
Hmmm... I think the name refers to the "Benedictine's of Cluny", meaning Cluny Abbey in France: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluny_Abbey
Perhaps some of these monks made their way from France to Valle d'Aosta where they opened a school/monestary.
Perhaps some of these monks made their way from France to Valle d'Aosta where they opened a school/monestary.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Benedictines in Aoste
RR. PP. = Révérends Pères (French: Reverend Fathers)
( http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O25-RRPP.html )
( http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O25-RRPP.html )
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Benedictines in Aoste
Possible references in this article: http://www.third-millennium-library.com ... Aosta.html
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Benedictines in Aoste
Thanks for the links. I wondered what the RR. PP. stood for!
