Find my greatgrandfather in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
msringius
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 14 Apr 2010, 17:51

Find my greatgrandfather in Italy

Post by msringius »

I am looking for my great grandfather that went from the area of Chiavari, Luguria, Italy to Argentina in December of 1865 in a ship by the name of "Rio de la Plata" It most have left from Genova. His name is
Esteban Tiscornia born in 1843. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I also would like to know if writing to a church there will help and if so , what church? :?:
User avatar
Totonno
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 51
Joined: 28 Jan 2010, 13:02

Re: Find my greatgrandfather in Italy

Post by Totonno »

I checked the churches of chiavari are too many! If I were you I 'll write to the bishop. The link shows his address
http://www.webdiocesi.chiesacattolica.i ... agina=1358
Faber est suae quisque fortunae
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Find my greatgrandfather in Italy

Post by johnnyonthespot »

msringius wrote:I am looking for my great grandfather that went from the area of Chiavari, Luguria, Italy to Argentina in December of 1865 in a ship by the name of "Rio de la Plata" It most have left from Genova. His name is
Esteban Tiscornia born in 1843. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I also would like to know if writing to a church there will help and if so , what church? :?:
This site ( http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... html#start ) finds several records in Argentina when you search for First Name = Esteban, Last Name = Tiscornia ( http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... me=estoban )

Although there are no immigration records, some of the others may be helpful in your research. Click on each name in the results list to see additional detail.


Carmine
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Find my greatgrandfather in Italy

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Also, this site ( http://213.212.128.167/radici/ie/defaultie.htm ) may be of use to you. I created a free account and then searched for the surname Tiscornia and came up with 38 hits, none of which were Esteban. Ibelieve however that Esteban is the spanish equivalent of Stefano? If so:

Surname TISCORNIA
Name STEFANO
Age 37
Sex M
Occupation POSSIDENTE (property/land owner)
Religion Cattolico
Port of embarkment GENOVA
Name of the ship SIRIO
Date of arrival 04-12-1900
Literacy Sa (means "able to read and write")
Travel compartment Prima

The complete list of Tiscornia's:

TISCORNIA AGNESE
TISCORNIA AGOSTINO
TISCORNIA AMELIA
TISCORNIA AMERICO
TISCORNIA ANGELO
TISCORNIA ANGELO
TISCORNIA ANTONIO
TISCORNIA ANTONIO
TISCORNIA CAMILLO
TISCORNIA CATERINA
TISCORNIA EMILIA
TISCORNIA EMMANUELE
TISCORNIA FEDERICO
TISCORNIA FILOMENA
TISCORNIA FRANCO
TISCORNIA G. D.
TISCORNIA G.BATTA
TISCORNIA GEROBAMO
TISCORNIA GERONIMA
TISCORNIA GIO.B.
TISCORNIA GIO.BATTA
TISCORNIA GIO.BATTA
TISCORNIA GIOVANNI
TISCORNIA GIOVANNI
TISCORNIA GIOVANNI
TISCORNIA IDA
TISCORNIA LAURA
TISCORNIA LAZZARO
TISCORNIA LUIGI
TISCORNIA MARIA
TISCORNIA MARIA
TISCORNIA MARINA
TISCORNIA NICOLA
TISCORNIA NICOLO
TISCORNIA OTTAVIA
TISCORNIA PIETRO
TISCORNIA STEFANO
TISCORNIA VIRGINIA
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
msringius
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 14 Apr 2010, 17:51

Re: Find my greatgrandfather in Italy

Post by msringius »

Thank you so much to all of youthat gave me ideas and places. There are a lot of Tiscornias in the town of Ne, in the Liguria region of Italy. There is also a street name Tiscornia. Ne is a fraccione, that means it is a very small town. I will keep on searching. Thanks again!!!!
User avatar
msringius
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 14 Apr 2010, 17:51

Re: Find my greatgrandfather in Italy

Post by msringius »

Thank you so much to all of youthat gave me ideas and places. There are a lot of Tiscornias in the town of Ne, in the Liguria region of Italy. There is also a street name Tiscornia. Ne is a fraccione, that means it is a very small town. I will keep on searching. Thanks again!!!!
Richard Bland
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 19 Mar 2015, 18:14

Find my greatgrandfather in Italy

Post by Richard Bland »

Hi,

I am connected to a family called Montedonico that I know married into the Tiscornia family. John Montedonico is living at 84 Avon Street, Bath on the 1861 census. However he appears on the 1869 Argentinian Census and it stated that he originated from Chiavari in Genoa. Considering your Esteban came from Chiavari and also emigrated to Argentina in the 1860s it seems a remarkable co-incidence to me. There must be some connection.
albetisc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 22 Aug 2019, 13:48

Re: Find my greatgrandfather in Italy

Post by albetisc »

Hi, my great great grandfather was Stefano or Esteban Tiscornia and he was from Chiavari. He came to Argentina in 1824. I believe he had a brother Bartolo. His sons were Domingo, Bartolomé, Antonio and some others. There is a street in the town of San Isidro, province of Buenos Aires, Argentina named Avenida Bartolomé Tiscornia. He was my great grandfather. Regards, Alberto Tiscornia
User avatar
parkergambino
Elite
Elite
Posts: 327
Joined: 06 Sep 2017, 17:28

Re: Find my greatgrandfather in Italy

Post by parkergambino »

I guess this inquiry is directed first to Carmine/Johnny on the Spot, but it seems like he hasn't posted in about 5 years, so ...

I am having trouble connecting to the two linked sites mentioned earlier in this thread:

"This site ( http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... html#start ) finds several records in Argentina when you search for First Name = Esteban, Last Name = Tiscornia ( http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... me=estoban )."

When I click on these site links, it just takes me to the opening portal for FamilySearch. Could it be that these links are now outdated and no longer working?

My interest does not directly concern the families discussed in the thread; instead it is about relatives (non-Italian) who emigrated to Argentina in the early 1900's. I'm having trouble making progress with my Argentina genealogy search, so when I find a new site that looks potentially informative, I try to investigate; that is why I tried to connect to these.

I will gratefully welcome any insight on this particular linking issue, or any more general additional advice/suggestions that might help me with my Argentina search.

Thank you

Parker Gambino
Post Reply