Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
I am trying to search for my ggrandmothers family in the City of Palermo, which is in Commune of Palermo, Italy. Her name was Giovanna Papadopoli and I have found her passenger manifest from Ellis Island Sept. 12 1903 on the ship Citta di Milano from Palermo. On manifest her name is spelled Paparopoli which could be a typo or that is the way they pronounced it to officials. She sailed with her brother Vincenzo Paparopoli and they came to New York. I have tracked her marriage to Frank Deluca in NYC in June of 1904 and then they settled in Troy, NY. The problem is that I can't find any information on her family Papadopoli or Paparopoli in Palermo. Her mothers name was Isabella (or Elisabetta) Emmanuele and her father Santi Emmanuele was descended from the Marquis di Villabianca. My ggrandmother used to tell her daughter about the beautiful house they lived in and called it villabianca and I want to try and find out where that is or was in Palermo. They think it may have been destroyed in WWII but don't know where to start to find out anything on the Emmanuele's or the Papadopoli(paparopoli). Her father's name was Guiseppe Papadopoli. Any help would be so appreciated!!!
Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
Hi and welcome to the forum,
I think the name might be Paparopoli, a rare name that does still exist in Italy.
These sites might help you trace the town of origin of that name.
http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
Here are the telephone listings for Paparopoli. Note that they are all in the Province of Palermo.
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... =&dv=&ind=
I think the name might be Paparopoli, a rare name that does still exist in Italy.
These sites might help you trace the town of origin of that name.
http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
Here are the telephone listings for Paparopoli. Note that they are all in the Province of Palermo.
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... =&dv=&ind=
Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
Those are great sites to try! Are three any sites to find out what parish they would have been part of? I don't know how to go about doing that.
Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
There are 124 parishes within the comune:
Palermo
Enter Palermo in the search box marked comune, then click ricerca.
wldspirit
Palermo
Enter Palermo in the search box marked comune, then click ricerca.
wldspirit
___________________________
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
From the site:jamesy1 wrote:Her mothers name was Isabella (or Elisabetta) Emmanuele and her father Santi Emmanuele was descended from the Marquis di Villabianca
http://www.regione.sicilia.it/benicultu ... /ebano.htm
this is regarding the Emanuele or Manuele Family (Noble)
Laura.....Questa famiglia è oggi rappresentata, nel ramo dei marchesi di Torrealta, da Gaetano Emanuele (di Vincenzo, di Gaetano, di Domenico) iscritto nell’elenco definitivo delle famiglie nobili e titolate della regione siciliana con i titoli di marchese di Torrealta, barone di S. Leonardo e barone del Canalotto; e, nel ramo dei marchesi di Villabianca, da Giuseppe Emanuele e Salvo (di Santi, di Francesco) riconosciuto con decreto ministeriale del 30 maggio 1899 nei titoli di marchese di Villabianca e conte di Belforte.
edit to add:
you'll find some little information on the Papadopoli (Noble) family too:
http://www.regione.sicilia.it/benicultu ... ango.htm#A
Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
Thank to the site that WldspiritThis site contains marriages for the city of Palermo:
http://sites.google.com/site/palermomarriages/
wldspirit
Paparopoli Giuseppe (son of Francesco and Annunciata Lucci) married Isabella Emmanuele on July 14, 1870 in Palermo (Città ), Vol. 019 # n.0073
http://sites.google.com/site/palermomar ... edirects=0
Laura
p.s. on the same page I linked you above you'll find also the marriage dates for two Giuseppe Paparopoli's sisters: Paparopoli Adelaide (who married on the same day of Giuseppe
Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
This is great information!!! I am going to go through the marriage records that are on that site. I am so appreciative of all the help I have gotten on this board!! Do any of the vital records show the address of any of the people that I am looking up? I will try to get the films for that if I can.
Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
You're welcome.... I hope that some other member help you with your last question, I'm not expert about microfilms....
However, just in the case you don't have this detail, I want to give you another clue... I noticed that Vincenzo/Vincent Papadoli on the 1910 census was living with the family of his brother in law (Victor Salvo and his wife Anna) in Manhattan...
I searched the arrival manifest for him and found it:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Vitiorio Salvo
Name: Vitiorio Salvo first name is Vittorio
Arrival Date: 27 Jul 1899
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Ethnicity/RaceÂ/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Trojan Prince
Search Ship Database: Search the Trojan Prince in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 1
Microfilm Serial: 15
Microfilm Roll: T715_76
Page Number: 67
he was travelling with his wife Paparopoli Annetta and son Rosario Salvo (6 months) both born in Italy and living in Palermo (last residence)....
[img=http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/2579 ... tta.th.jpg]
Laura
However, just in the case you don't have this detail, I want to give you another clue... I noticed that Vincenzo/Vincent Papadoli on the 1910 census was living with the family of his brother in law (Victor Salvo and his wife Anna) in Manhattan...
I searched the arrival manifest for him and found it:
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Vitiorio Salvo
Name: Vitiorio Salvo first name is Vittorio
Arrival Date: 27 Jul 1899
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Ethnicity/RaceÂ/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Trojan Prince
Search Ship Database: Search the Trojan Prince in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 1
Microfilm Serial: 15
Microfilm Roll: T715_76
Page Number: 67
he was travelling with his wife Paparopoli Annetta and son Rosario Salvo (6 months) both born in Italy and living in Palermo (last residence)....
[img=http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/2579 ... tta.th.jpg]
Laura
Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
Thank you so much! I found the census for Vincenzo in NYC and saw he was living with Salvo's which are we knew we related to us but I didn't exactly know how they were related until this. I didn't have much luck finding anything on Victor Salvo until now. That would be my ggrandmothers sister Nannetta they called her and she married a Salvo. I am so happy I found this site!!
Thank you again!!
Patty
Thank you again!!
Patty
Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
The Family History Center has microfilm records for Palermo, both civil and religious. Here is the link. Film is not available on line, you must order it at a Center and view it there. There seems to be a wealth of info.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0
Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
Patty,jamesy1 wrote:Her mothers name was Isabella (or Elisabetta) Emmanuele and her father Santi Emmanuele was descended from the Marquis di Villabianca.
I found several references on-line about the Emanuele Noble family , unfortunately they are in Italian
http://www.mariolinopapalia.it/Archivio ... anuele.htm
this is abook about the Emanuele family:
http://www.iagi.info/rivistanobilta/REC ... i95-12.htm
Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
The link is in Italian but google translated if for me and it is great information on my family tree. I am still trying to find out where my ggrandmother lived in Palermo when she was growing up because she always talked of a grand place and said she was called Countess. I don't know where I would find where she lived. She said she came to America because she didn't want to marry her cousin who she was arranged to marry. It turns out her sister Adelaide Paparopoli married Francesco Emanuele who was the cousin that my ggrandmother Giovanna was supposed to marry. How life changes. She left in 1903 before she had to marry him.
- babalo4717
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 05 Jul 2010, 14:50
Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
My name is Louis Emmanuele. My father and family comes from a town in Sicily called Castrofilippo (Agrigento). Maybe that will help with your searching. There are a few Emmanuele left there. Good Luck!
Re: Trying to find Emmanuele/Papadopoli in city of Palermo
Thanks for the information on you Emanuele family. I am sure our family is from Palermo and actually received a picture from a man who lives in Palermo now and studies the architecture of Palermo. He said it is probably the only known photo of the Port and Villabianca Palace. The building is in the picture but I can't attach it here because it says it is too big a file. Anyone know how I can get this picture to have a link here?

