Translation Help!!!!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Translation Help!!!!

Post by Tessa78 »

Marriage Act #29
Nicola Maria Videtta and Grazia Maria Pierro
August 18 1877 @ 10:30 Am at the Town Hall
Nicola Maria Videtta, 25, peasant farmer, born in Pignola, residing in Palmira, son of deceased Luigi who resided in his life in Pignola, and of Rosa Sonigranno (sp?) residing in Palmira.
WITH
Grazia Maria Pierro, 25, peasant farmer, born in Palmira, residing in Palmira, daughter of deceased Francesco who during his life lived in Palmira, and of Caterina Bacceliere residing in Palmira.

Witnesses (a little hard to read)
Sig. Nicola Sciarassia, 66, pharmacist
Sig. Lipxxx Giganti, 46, citizen (?) middle class

T.
User avatar
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 51
Joined: 26 Mar 2010, 23:18
Contact:

Re: Translation Help!!!!

Post by cvwalters »

Thanks again Tessa! You are awesome! I think she is Rosa Sangiacommo or something similar. I spyed her name on her husband's death record. I will be on the search now for their death records.

I still have found no traces of Filomena or Angela. They are out there somewhere I know it!

Thanks again!!!!!
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Translation Help!!!!

Post by Tessa78 »

Probably Sangiacomo with only one "m" :-)

Good luck!

T.
User avatar
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 51
Joined: 26 Mar 2010, 23:18
Contact:

Re: Translation Help!!!!

Post by cvwalters »

T,

I found Filomena Sconsigliata!!!! I looked through every birth in 1883 (there was no index for that year) and found her in the additional section written out all in Italian. I believe she is Num 27 of the image. She is the bottom left hand of the image.

http://img717.imageshack.us/i/filomenas ... atabc.jpg/

Perhaps there is something there that will help me solve the mystery of ggm! Maybe her birthdate or her parents names...... I am keeping my fingers crossed

Thanks again for all the help!
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Translation Help!!!!

Post by Tessa78 »

Congratulations!!!! Great find :-D

I only read through the BC once...I'll take a closer look as I enlarge the image...

Filomena was presented at the Town Hall (in Pignola) on 20 September 1883 by Angela Salvato, peasant farmer and wife of Paolo Santangela.
She declared that she found the child and brought her home (I'll get the details as I look it over). She gave the child the name Filomena Scagliata.

Added later:
When Angela presented the child to the official they prudently recognized that the child was but a few days old. Angela stated that she found the child in front of the door to her house about 11 PM the night before, wrapped in rags, and without some mark or identification. They then imposed the name of Filomena Scagliata on the child with this birth date, and Angela gave assurance that she would raise the child and provide guardianship.

Witnesses to this act were Rocco Albano, 40 and Michele Damelio (sp?), 60, both residing in Pignola.

T.
User avatar
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 51
Joined: 26 Mar 2010, 23:18
Contact:

Re: Translation Help!!!!

Post by cvwalters »

Thank you so much Tessa!

I made out the month of September in the text, so I knew that I had the right person. I figured that if she was in the back of the book, that perhaps she was orphaned.

I am beginning to think that Filomena and Angela are the same person. Angela's birth date is Sept 20. I can't see any other explaination for all the dates being the same. I would think if they were two different people Luigi would know the individual birth days, weddings, etc. I am thinking that perhaps she took the name Angela to honor the women who raised her.

I am very sad for her. What I knew of my great grandmother, even before this find, was that she had a horrible life. I have a picture of her from maybe the 1930's and her eyes convey such sadness.

I can't wait to see what else you can find in the document.
Perhaps there will be something more to help bring some peace to her!

Thank you again for all your help. I am so greatful to you!

Christine
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Translation Help!!!!

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Christine :-)

Glad to have helped...but I already added in the post above all the other details I could pull from the birth record.

Your thought about Filomena taking the name Angela to honor the woman who raised her makes sense.

T.
User avatar
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 51
Joined: 26 Mar 2010, 23:18
Contact:

Re: Translation Help!!!!

Post by cvwalters »

Thanks again Tessa! :)

I think this will probably close the chapter on my great grandmother. I am requesting her death certificate from the city of Utica. I am not if there will be anything there, but you never know.

I know I have said this before, but I never expected to find much out about this family tree branch. I would have never thought they would be the family I found the most out about!

Thanks again!
User avatar
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 51
Joined: 26 Mar 2010, 23:18
Contact:

Re: Translation Help!!!!

Post by cvwalters »

Hi Tessa!

I thought that I had ended my search, but alas there is just a little more. Today I recieved my GGM death certificate. Of course it has her name as Angela Maria Montemurro Vedete. It also has her parents names listed on their as well. Father Vincenzo Montemurro (her second son is James) and mother Carolina Salvatti (Second daughter Caroline). I knew that I had seen those names together before, and in 1872 there was a couple with thoses names married in Pignola.

It than occured to me that perhaps Angela / Filomena's mother my have died in child birth or was too sick to care for a baby and the father may have given her up to a neighbor. So I checked the "morte" for 1883. So yes I found a Carolina Salvato (instead of Salvatti) who died in I believe on October 1, 1883. She is married to a Vincenzo Montemurro.

So Tessa if you could translate for me again.... My Italian is getting better..... I recongize dates now.....
Sh is death #96
http://img24.imageshack.us/i/carolinasalvatodc1883.jpg/


http://img295.imageshack.us/i/montenurr ... m1872.jpg/

They are marriage #24

As always I am so appreciative of the help! Thanks!
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Translation Help!!!!

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Christine :-)

Here is the translation of the first document... atti di morte

Dated 1883 day 1 October 11:30 AM
Before the Mayor Leopoldo Albano, officer of Vital records in Pignola appeared Francesco Cibiaso/Cibiuso (sp?), 56, peasant farmer residing in Pignola , and Gerardo Salvato, 70, peasant farmer, residing in Pignola, to declare that at 10:30 AM yesterday, 30 September, at the house at via Sangiacomo #8 died Carolina Salvato, 30, peasant farmer, residing in Pignola, born in Pignola, to Giuseppe, peasant farmer, residing in Pignola, and Felicia Postiglione (sp?) peasant farmer, residing in Pignola; wife of Vincenzo Montemurro.

Witnesses to this act:
Saverio Scavone, 70, peasant farmer
Paolo Tisicone (sp?), 70, peasant farmer

I'll get to the other one now... :-)

T.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Translation Help!!!!

Post by Tessa78 »

This writing was very light and hard to read even when enlarged quite a bit...

Marriage dated 1872 (will look at again to be sure...very light)
on 10 October.

Vincenzo Montemurro, 28, single, son of Felice and deceased Maria Rosa Potrani (sp?)
AND
Carolina Salvato, 19, single, daughter of Giuseppe and Felicia Postiglione

All peasant farmers, born and residing in Pignola

Witnesses were Felice Smiraglia and Vincenzo Ramunno...

T.
User avatar
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 51
Joined: 26 Mar 2010, 23:18
Contact:

Re: Translation Help!!!!

Post by cvwalters »

Thanks again Tessa!

I forgot to mention that the birth date on the death certificate is Sept. 20, 1883.

The women married is the women who died. To much of a concidence for it not to be at least a possible set of parents for my GGM. I will never know the whole story, but I imagine that the mother was very ill and the father felt he couldn't care for my ggm and he gave her to someone who could. She must have known who her parents were for someone to put it on her death certificate or Luigi knew who the were. I noticed that the Videtta's lived on the same street as the Montermurro's.

Thanks again for all your help Tessa! It was greatly appreciated! You are a genealogy angel! :D

Christine
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Translation Help!!!!

Post by Tessa78 »

Glad to be of help :-)

I'm so glad you could connect the dots on your mystery...
There are so many stories like that. But the ones that belong to us are so much more special. And I believe you are right that everyone knew whose child she was.

T.
User avatar
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 51
Joined: 26 Mar 2010, 23:18
Contact:

Re: Translation Help!!!!

Post by cvwalters »

I am glad to to have connected the dots on this mystery. Ironically I have a similar mystery on my non-Italian side as well with a ggm. Hopefully that one will come together too.

I agree the story, although sad, is special to me and is something I will record to share with future generations and with my cousins. It is special to since my mom and uncle never had the opportunity to know their grandmother, so at least now the know a bit of her history.

Thank you again!!!! :)
Post Reply