Number of copies for Newark Consulate
Number of copies for Newark Consulate
Anyone have info regarding how many copies I need to provide? Or are the originals sufficient for submission?
I could have sworn I read on the NY consulate site that they want copies. Nobody from Newark will return my calls!
Thanks so much in advance!!!!
I could have sworn I read on the NY consulate site that they want copies. Nobody from Newark will return my calls!
Thanks so much in advance!!!!
- johnnyonthespot
- Master

- Posts: 5228
- Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
- Location: Connecticut, USA
Re: Number of copies for Newark Consulate
I am sure you did. When I was applying in New York in 2008, I very carefully made three copies of every document I had - two for the consulate and one for myself.sophia22 wrote:I could have sworn I read on the NY consulate site that they want copies. Nobody from Newark will return my calls!
When I got to the consulate, the official took only the originals and gave the copies back to me saying that they were not necessary.
There is a lot of info on the websites which is not correct and/or not adhered to; a key item being the need to have all documents from both sides of the family. When all is done, the consulate generally only takes the direct-line documents and ignores the rest.
Carmine
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me!
Re: Number of copies for Newark Consulate
Thanks so much for your reply! All this is getting very expensive!!! I'm not surprised you're telling me that about the direct line, too. Of course I spent tons of money and time and effort - amending names, etc. - that aren't in the direct line.
Oh well. I guess better to be safe than sorry. I'll take your word for the copies, though.
I'm going to see what I can do about having some of these consulates post ACCURATE information, however. What a disservice to the public!!
Oh well. I guess better to be safe than sorry. I'll take your word for the copies, though.
I'm going to see what I can do about having some of these consulates post ACCURATE information, however. What a disservice to the public!!
Re: Number of copies for Newark Consulate
Sophia,
How long did it take for you to get an appointment with the Newark Consulate. I'm considering scheduling it now while I'm collecting documentation rather than waiting.
How long did it take for you to get an appointment with the Newark Consulate. I'm considering scheduling it now while I'm collecting documentation rather than waiting.
Re: Number of copies for Newark Consulate
Sforza,
Yes, I'd send in the application to request an appointment! It took about 8 months to receive a call from them to schedule my appointment. I sent the application BEFORE I had my all my docs ( ! ) in a row. You have quite a bit of time ahead of you.
Also, make sure you have everything they request in that application form you find on the newark consulate website. They want a proof of citizenship form from Italy for your ancestory. It's different than the birth certificate.
Hope this helps.
Sophia22
Yes, I'd send in the application to request an appointment! It took about 8 months to receive a call from them to schedule my appointment. I sent the application BEFORE I had my all my docs ( ! ) in a row. You have quite a bit of time ahead of you.
Also, make sure you have everything they request in that application form you find on the newark consulate website. They want a proof of citizenship form from Italy for your ancestory. It's different than the birth certificate.
Hope this helps.
Sophia22
Re: Number of copies for Newark Consulate
Thanks, will do! And thanks for the heads-up on documentation. When I wrote Italy for my GF birth certificate, I also requested the certificate di trascorso possesso della cittadinanza italiana - I think that's what you're referring to?
Re: Number of copies for Newark Consulate
Yes, that's exactly what I mean! You're ahead of the game! I've heard that's a weeding out process for the folks at Newark, so include the cittandinanza!!! They'll be impressed and your application will go right to the "good pile!" Now go submit your application! I'll let you know more as the proces continues.
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: Number of copies for Newark Consulate
....and ALWAYS make 3 copies of everything no matter what and keep one set in your desk even ifthey give you a set back for your records you can never have too many colpies of anything. =Peter=
~Peter~
Re: Number of copies for Newark Consulate
Peter,
Do I bring add'l copies to the consulate? Or just keep them for my records? Thanks
Do I bring add'l copies to the consulate? Or just keep them for my records? Thanks
Re: Number of copies for Newark Consulate
Thanks much Sophia, and please do!!sophia22 wrote: I'll let you know more as the proces continues.
Re: Number of copies for Newark Consulate
Sophia,sophia22 wrote:Sforza,
Yes, I'd send in the application to request an appointment!:
My mother emailed the consulate to schedule an appointment, and hasn't heard back. You refer in your post above to an "application to request the appointment." Where do we find this? I can't locate it on the consulate's website - or maybe I'm just missing it.
Also, what was your strategy - did you submit the application by itself, or did you include some of your documentation?
Thanks,
Re: Number of copies for Newark Consulate
I emailed the Newark consulate myself and got my mother an appointment - for June 2011! So the clock is ticking - 10 months and counting - for our document hunt. I imagine it could take that long to hear back from USCIS!
Something worth mentioning: I noticed that the date format used - at least by the Newark Consulate - is European (makes sense!!). So an appt date of, eg., 04/05 would not be April 5th, but May 4th.
Something worth mentioning: I noticed that the date format used - at least by the Newark Consulate - is European (makes sense!!). So an appt date of, eg., 04/05 would not be April 5th, but May 4th.
Re: Number of copies for Newark Consulate
Wow - that's great! You received an appointment after a mere email! It looks like they've changed the procedures a bit. So you didn't have to sit around waiting for them to contact you! That was amazingly quick! Lucky you!
Yes, everything is "European style" i.e. the date format.
Yes, everything is "European style" i.e. the date format.

