Augustus Russell Agneta

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Augustus Russell Agneta

Post by wldspirit »

Image two........don't know what happened the first time........ :?

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/7614/47mm.gif

wldspirit


*no problem.......all about the teamwork!!!!!!!.......... :D
User avatar
woodcuts
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 12 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Augustus Russell Agneta

Post by woodcuts »

What a FANTASTIC amount of information and some of it new to me.
THANK YOU all so very much.

Lisa, what a find that document about Maria Agneta is. Do you know exactly what the purpose of it was? May I ask where you located it?

Suanj, VERY interesting the death record for Joseph Agneta. From what I had already gleaned, it seemed to me that possibly Russ' father died at some time in the 1920's. This record confirms my suspicions.
I Think the only names I recognize - besides "Gus" :-) - are Anthony and Joseph. I believe those are the two brothers whose names Russ put on the WWII Memorial. On the Memorial the middle initial of Anthony is omitted but my previous researching seemed to make it a "D". He also included Joseph, however, the middle initial is given as a "G". I had previously come to the conclusion through other records, that the "G" is a mistake/typo and that "L" is appropriate.

Trish, thank you for the cemetery info. I had found that and have had correspondence with the director of the facility.
The 1920 census info is very enlightening. A good case for using multiple spelling variations :-) of a surname.
But I wonder where Russ got "Mongello" if "D'Ambrosio" was actually Maria's surname. They don't appear to be translations of each other.

Widspirit, Interesting how many Joseph Agneta's there are floating around in this group. Makes for fun sorting them out. Thank you also for your input.

I'll be fitting these pieces together into the puzzle for several days :-)

woodcuts
User avatar
woodcuts
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 12 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Augustus Russell Agneta

Post by woodcuts »

I think I forgot to mention a HUGE thank you for the various images.

woodcuts
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Augustus Russell Agneta

Post by wldspirit »

Your welcome, as I said.....it's all about teamwork. The record of Maria is a naturalization record from Ancestry, a paid site......however, there is also a very good NY site which list info's as in the death record, but no images, you have to send for the document. Maria is also listed in their naturalization database. Here is the link.........

http://www.italiangen.org/default.htm

I also located a Katherine Agneta in Cambridge, Mass., on the census if your interested.

Lisa
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Augustus Russell Agneta

Post by suanj »

Hi woodcuts, in effect the mother surname you say Mongello... Mongello is a different surname of D'Ambrosio... what are your suggestions? regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1061
Joined: 19 Aug 2004, 00:00
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Augustus Russell Agneta

Post by brujaojos »

Hi There,

You stated, that Joseph (Giuseppe) had a few wives, correct? If this is the case, then the....

first wife could be = Maria D'Ambrosio
second wife could be = Maria Mongello

What you need is the death certificate of Augustus as well as his birth certificate. Also, a Marriage Application could shed some light.

And also remember, back then, people didn't really speak about their family as well as surnames so the Mongello could be an error or maybe it isn't. Genealogy is a hit or miss type situation, right now you "hit" a jackpot of information.

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
User avatar
woodcuts
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 12 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Augustus Russell Agneta

Post by woodcuts »

Lisa, Naturalization Record - of course - "Intention", the clue. Thank you for the link to the NY site. Had found them but hadn't yet gone any further. Have only been poking about since Nov of 2005 which is when I found out Russ had died backin 2002.

Suanj and Trish, Mongello is the surname Russ gives for his mother on his SSN app., his obituary, his death certificate. Assuming you folks have turned up his birth family - and I certainly think that IS the correct family -
then I'm willing to go with D'Ambrosio. But I will get documents :-)

Russ was a very well liked, interesting fellow who for some reason continuously changed or embellished many, many facts of both his personal and military life - giving an incorrect name fits right in. Why, we don't know - - it seems to have been an irrepressible personality trait that invaded all aspects of his WHOLE life. Could have been that my mother just couldn't put up with that kind of thing and so she divorced him after about four years of marriage. And if you re-read (the selected) few quotes from her and Grandma that I have included in my posts and compare the information, BIG changes. You wouldn't believe the military embellishments and outright fabrications; all disproven by documentation.

Trish's suggestion re first wife's name vs second wife's name has been tossed about before but frankly, nothing seems to point to multiple marriages. Now, casual coupling, that might be a different story :-) but less and less do I believe that to be the case in this history.

Ah yes, a "jackpot" of information is an understatement. The whole story is practically uncovered in a few postings - unbelievable the amount of time you folks have so graciously saved me.

Widspirit, I too located a Katherine (my first name) Agneta in Cambridge, Mass. but, again, that is a research area I have yet to get back to. However, I do know that Cambridge is the town that my folks often visited and so feel that she is the correct Katherine for whom I am named.

FYI my mother was born in NYC but her folks moved to North Stonington, CT, in the early 1920's. So the trip to Cambridge was logically one to make whenever my folks visited Rhode Island from our home in NYC.

Very, VERY exciting stuff! My hat is off to all of you.

woodcuts
User avatar
woodcuts
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: 12 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Augustus Russell Agneta

Post by woodcuts »

Here's the question:

If Joseph Agneta died in 1925, then who is the Joseph Agenete shown in the 1930 census with the same named children and wife? Hmmmm. Interesting coincidence.

I'll order a death certificate but I thought in the meantime that perhaps someone will have an idea about this.

The mystery deepens when you consider Maria Agneta's 1926 naturalization app on which she says "widow"..........

Maybe she re-married a "Joseph Agenete"? Certainly would have simplified things in the monogramed towel department :-).

Her name appears to be spelled as "Mary" on that 1930 record. She is 33 yrs in 1920 and only 40 in 1930 -
(women's perogative, eh?). Also 1920 shows "Guiseppe" as being 45 but the 1930 shows "Joseph" as being 46.

Oh sweet mysteries of research :-)

MUCH thanks in advance for your thoughts.

woodcuts
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: Augustus Russell Agneta

Post by jcsm400 »

Ages on census records are notorious for being inaccurate. You have to remember that the information could have been give be a children, the census taker could have wrote it wrong, and approx age wasn't very important back then. On couple of my ancestors I seen them grow younger from one census to the next. :)


As for your question.............A cousin from the same line following the Italian naming tradition just like your Joseph????? :) Makes for interesting researching, keeping everyone straight,especially when you get into the Italian records :!:
User avatar
DeCiccoAgneta
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 17 Jun 2010, 05:04

Re: Augustus Russell Agneta

Post by DeCiccoAgneta »

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this, but have discovered my great-great Grandmother's name by writing Pomarico, Italy for my great Grandfather's birth certificate. They were nice enough to send his along with his parent's birth certificates. In this process, I've discovered the name of his mother, Maria Gaetana Agneta born in March of 1860 in Pomarico, Italy. Her husband is Giuseppe DeCicco and they have several children. One is my great-grandfather, Leonardo (Leonard) DeCicco. They all moved to Chicago after coming into the country from Ellis Island. Is this possibly the same Maria you are all looking for? Leonardo had a brother, Pasquale, a brother Michael and sister Catherine who came here from Italy (different time than he did). And he had other siblings in Italy (another sister, for sure). I'm still working on the family tree, so if anyone thinks they're related, let me know! Thanks![/i]
User avatar
DeCiccofam
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: 22 Apr 2010, 20:31

Re: Augustus Russell Agneta

Post by DeCiccofam »

I'm a bit confused, but then, I'm new to this site. I have the birth records for my great-great grandparents, Giuseppe DeCicco and Maria Gaetana Agneta. They never came to the US, but some of their children did. One of them was Leonardo. So, they weren't naturalized because they were never here.

Thank you!
User avatar
DeCiccofam
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: 22 Apr 2010, 20:31

Re: Augustus Russell Agneta

Post by DeCiccofam »

I'm a bit confused, but then, I'm new to this site. I have the birth records for my great-great grandparents, Giuseppe DeCicco and Maria Gaetana Agneta. They never came to the US, but some of their children did. One of them was Leonardo. So, they weren't naturalized because they were never here.

Thank you!
Post Reply