Records for previously Italian now Croatian region

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Post Reply
User avatar
amatetic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 10 Aug 2010, 02:29

Records for previously Italian now Croatian region

Post by amatetic »

Where in Italian would records be housed for places that are no longer Italian? My husband's grandparents (both sides) were from Italy at the time. But that region is now Croatia.

Does Italy keep these records?

Thanks!
Anna
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Records for previously Italian now Croatian region

Post by johnnyonthespot »

This has come up before. I think you still have to contact the town of birth, regardless of which country it is currently a part of.

More specific information might lead to a more specific answer. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
User avatar
amatetic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 10 Aug 2010, 02:29

Re: Records for previously Italian now Croatian region

Post by amatetic »

Thanks for your reply. My husband is first generation American and still visits this region because his grandparents never left it. I know what town to go to in order to get birth and death certificates. We are able to go there personally and request this information.

however, what we are looking for are military records. I should have specified that in the original posts. I would think the Italian government keeps records for WWII military service versus individual towns? But I don't know this for certain. I've read on this Forum information about various military districts that have military records versus one location like we have in America. But I don't know what military district the Istrian region of Croatia would fall under. Or if Croatians from this region would have fallen under Trieste jurisdiction.

Thanks for the help :)
Anna
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Records for previously Italian now Croatian region

Post by johnnyonthespot »

What town was your husband's father born in?

Normally, Italian military records are held by the provincial archives for the province which includes (or once did include) the place of birth of the person you are interested in. So, for example, for someone born in Padova, you would write to Archivio di Stato di Padua.

This thread ( http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15162/ ) has info on how to request military records.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Records for previously Italian now Croatian region

Post by PeterTimber »

send e-mail to Archivio di stato di Trieste at as-ts@beniculutrali.it and ask them if military records for Italian Army soldier in Croaita can be requested from their military archives offices. Give them name of town in croatia (or Italian version of name).

If you do not know Italian then write in simple english short sentences. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
iolanda2
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 104
Joined: 08 Dec 2008, 22:32
Location: California

Re: Records for previously Italian now Croatian region

Post by iolanda2 »

So that i understand, your grandparents were born in the region that is now Croatia? They were born when Italy controlled Croatia? if they were born in what is now Croatia, I would look for their information at the parish where they were attending church.
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Records for previously Italian now Croatian region

Post by PeterTimber »

what town in Istria did your family reside so that I can refer you to the parish church where most civil records were kept inthe event hat you do not know the parish church. =Peter=
~Peter~
User avatar
iolanda2
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 104
Joined: 08 Dec 2008, 22:32
Location: California

Re: Records for previously Italian now Croatian region

Post by iolanda2 »

You should be able to find the information at the parish in Croatia. The church records will remain with the parish, they will not be shipped back to Italy. Many of the small parishes have great records and are very helpful.
Montonese
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 24 Jul 2024, 04:05

Re: Records for previously Italian now Croatian region

Post by Montonese »

First time poster! My mother's family was from Montona (now Motovun, a small town in Istria). Coincidentally, it is the same town Mario Andretti is from. After WWII, the family left as refugees when the communists took over Istria and settled in Verona. My mom was already living in Trieste at the time. In September, I will be taking my first visit to Montona/Motovun and would really enjoy researching family name. I am lucky that aunts/uncles in Verona still alive and I will be able to talk to them before heading to Croatia. Any advice would be appreciated!
Post Reply