How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s
Re: How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s
Hey Peg, it really is just that easy to do. It used to be a pain to work through all the stuff you had to do before but they have really simplified all of it. In fact, I would be lost without it.
lilbees
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
Re: How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s
thanks Tessa!
lilbees
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s
Lilbbees how do can find a file to scan into your computer when you don't know where to find what your looking for?? if I wanted to see a manifest for some voyage how do I get it???=Peter=
~Peter~
- RobertAldo
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 21:24
Re: How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s
I have tried to follow the directions provided by lilbees and pasted the link in the body of the message. I had been trying to get the document in as an attachment, but I guess that wasn't right. I hope this works.
By the way, when I went to imageshack it would not accept a pdf format. I had to convert it to jpg format to get it to upload.
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/3069/27335750.jpg
By the way, when I went to imageshack it would not accept a pdf format. I had to convert it to jpg format to get it to upload.
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/3069/27335750.jpg
-
PeterTimber
- Master

- Posts: 6811
- Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
- Location: Yonkers NY
Re: How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s
I was so happy with candles and they invented the electric light!!!!!!!!!!!=Peter=
~Peter~
Re: How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s
Robert
The upload of the document worked. Here is part of the translation:
Dated April 24th 1866 in the town hall of Torella dei Lombardi-
Giuseppe Aldorisio appeared, the son of deceased Saverio. Giuseppe was 44 and a carpenter living in this town. He presented a baby of feminine sex and reported that the same was born on the 24th of April at 5 a.m. to his wife Camilla Losca (sp?), of deceased Giuseppe, in their house located on Strada Corta S. Giacomo. The baby was given the name Girarda.
I have to look at the rest of the document for the witnesses' names.
The upload of the document worked. Here is part of the translation:
Dated April 24th 1866 in the town hall of Torella dei Lombardi-
Giuseppe Aldorisio appeared, the son of deceased Saverio. Giuseppe was 44 and a carpenter living in this town. He presented a baby of feminine sex and reported that the same was born on the 24th of April at 5 a.m. to his wife Camilla Losca (sp?), of deceased Giuseppe, in their house located on Strada Corta S. Giacomo. The baby was given the name Girarda.
I have to look at the rest of the document for the witnesses' names.
Re: How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s
notation in the margin-she died Jan 17, 1949 in Torella.
Losco should be the surname of the baby's mother.
Losco should be the surname of the baby's mother.
Re: How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s
Robert, I am so pleased that imageshack worked for you.
When scanning and saving any documents you have you may want to save them in a different format than pdf. Especially if you are going to be putting them in your genealogy software or needing some help on a document.
Makes life somewhat easier.
Good luck!
lilbees
When scanning and saving any documents you have you may want to save them in a different format than pdf. Especially if you are going to be putting them in your genealogy software or needing some help on a document.
Makes life somewhat easier.
Good luck!
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
Re: How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s
I have to do some research concerning the last names of the witnesses which I can't decipher. The first was Antonio Rxxx of Francesco Saverio, age 22, a landowner and the second was Benedetto ? of deceased Amato, age 32, a bookbinder, both residents in this town.
That is all the important info in the record.
I think the last name of the witness Antonio is Rubino.
The last name of the witness Benedetto was Pisani.
That is all the important info in the record.
I think the last name of the witness Antonio is Rubino.
The last name of the witness Benedetto was Pisani.
- RobertAldo
- Newbie

- Posts: 16
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 21:24
Re: How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s
As always, you guys are great. I can't thank you enough for all of the help you have given me on this and previous issues. I have a comment and a question. The comment is that the Family History Center computer is loaded with Adobe Acrobat for making pdfs. The next time I go I will see if that software can make jpg or other preferable formats.
The question is this. I am trying to figure out how you know that Saverio was deceased. I see something like "Giuseppe Aldorisio del su Saverio". I'm sure that is wrong, but what do you think it actually says? If Saverio had been alive, what do you think the Italian wording would have been?
I asked these questions because I have a large number of these records and intend to get a lot more of them. So I want to be able to decipher them as much as possible without having to bug you guys for more help.
The question is this. I am trying to figure out how you know that Saverio was deceased. I see something like "Giuseppe Aldorisio del su Saverio". I'm sure that is wrong, but what do you think it actually says? If Saverio had been alive, what do you think the Italian wording would have been?
I asked these questions because I have a large number of these records and intend to get a lot more of them. So I want to be able to decipher them as much as possible without having to bug you guys for more help.
Re: How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s
I use the scanner at my Family History Center to create an image of all of my documents. During the "save" process, I can select the format I wish to save the document in. I just select jpg.
Good luck.
Good luck.
Jim
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Re: How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s
Hi Robert,
Glad you have been able to upload your document...
The "Giuseppe Aldorisio del su Saverio" is actually "del fu Saverio" . That he is deceased is indicated by "fu" which means "was". If he were alive it would have read "di Saverio, or del Saverio" (of Saverio) which is a short form of "figlio di Saverio"...(son of Saverio)
This link will give you a great resource for record extraction...
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... efault.htm
T.
Glad you have been able to upload your document...
The "Giuseppe Aldorisio del su Saverio" is actually "del fu Saverio" . That he is deceased is indicated by "fu" which means "was". If he were alive it would have read "di Saverio, or del Saverio" (of Saverio) which is a short form of "figlio di Saverio"...(son of Saverio)
This link will give you a great resource for record extraction...
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... efault.htm
T.