Prosdocimo & Olivo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
Prosdo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 19 Mar 2008, 04:50
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Re: Prosdocimo & Olivo

Post by Prosdo »

I was going back through some records on Ancestry.com now that I went onto their free trial. On the one trip Giuseppe made this was listed as the relative in their home country.

Image

Can anyone make out that name? Also after reviewing this thread. Why did the one Olivo list his mother as Concetta Lamanna. Wouldn't they have put her married name? Also Serafino Lamanna was visiting his uncle Gregorio Olivo. Is that possible that Gregorio was his uncle with the last name Lamanna? Sorry a bit confused when reviewing this.
User avatar
Prosdo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 19 Mar 2008, 04:50
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Re: Prosdocimo & Olivo

Post by Prosdo »

Hello everyone. It has been a while since I have posted. Several months ago I received a birth certificate for my great-grandmother Mariangiola Malia Apollonia Olivo (known as Amelia in the USA). I also received her marriage license to my great-grandfather Giuseppe Prosdocimo. All that information can be found in the following thread with photos ( http://www.italiangenealogy.com/Forums/ ... 15166.html ). I cannot find the letter that accompanied the documents, but it stated they could not find Giuseppe Prosdocimo's birth records in that city. Which leads me to wonder. Was he even from there? He didn't know who his parents were I am assuming because they were not listed on the marriage certificate. The spaces were left blank. Also most Prosdocimo's seem to be from Northern Italy. What do you guys think and maybe how can I find out more? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Prosdocimo & Olivo

Post by pink67 »

Tessa78 wrote:Marriage part 1

Number 3 Act of Marriage
Giuseppe Prosdocimo and Mariangiola Malia Apollonia Olivo

1914, 8 Feb at 9:40 AM at the Town Hall of Fossato Lerralta (sp?) appeared before the Mayor:

1. Giuseppe Prosdocimo, 35, (fishraio) born in Catanzaro, residing in Fossato, son of Father Unknown, and Mother Unknown,
2. Mariangiola Malia Apollonia Olivo, 25, housewife, born in Fossato, residing in Fossato, daughter of deceased Paolo who resided in Fossato, and Concetta Lamanna (sp?) residing in Forrato.
Have you requested Giuseppe's birth act to the Comune of catanzaro and they didn't found it?

Laura
User avatar
Prosdo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 19 Mar 2008, 04:50
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Re: Prosdocimo & Olivo

Post by Prosdo »

ricbru wrote:You can write a letter only written in italian, to get your Giuseppe Prosdocimo real birth record (so you can read his parents names, ages, occupation, address where birth occurred) to:

Comune
Ufficio di Stato civile
Corso V. Emanuele III, 1
CAP 88050
Fossato Serralta (CZ)

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

This is where I sent the letter to. Should I have sent it somewhere else?
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Prosdocimo & Olivo

Post by pink67 »

Prosdo wrote:
ricbru wrote:You can write a letter only written in italian, to get your Giuseppe Prosdocimo real birth record (so you can read his parents names, ages, occupation, address where birth occurred) to:

Comune
Ufficio di Stato civile
Corso V. Emanuele III, 1
CAP 88050
Fossato Serralta (CZ)

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo

This is where I sent the letter to. Should I have sent it somewhere else?
The marriage act between Giuseppe Prosdocimo and Mariangiola Olivo states clearly that Giuseppe was born in Catanzaro from unknown parents, and was resident in Fossato, the birth act request must be sent to the Comune of Catanzaro :

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/P ... monio1.png

Comune di Catanzaro
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Palazzo De Nobili via Iannoni, 68
88100 CATANZARO CZ
ITALIA

Laura
User avatar
Prosdo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 19 Mar 2008, 04:50
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Re: Prosdocimo & Olivo

Post by Prosdo »

Awesome! Thanks pink! I am not too familiar with Italy and how it's areas are broken apart. I thought Fossato covered both. I can't wait to mail this letter out and see what I come back with. I'm gonna write the letter up tonight.
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Prosdocimo & Olivo

Post by pink67 »

You're welcome.... Catanzaro is the main city of the region Calabria but it's also the main city of the province of Catanzaro and a Comune itself....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regions_of_Italy

Being listed on the marriage act as son of unknown parents you'll find no parents name on the act but you'll know where the baby was abandoned, who found him, what he was wearing, sometimes the baby had a "recognition signal" like an half coin or a particular object just in the case that the parents or the mother wanted to claim him in a second time...

Laura
User avatar
Prosdo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 19 Mar 2008, 04:50
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Re: Prosdocimo & Olivo

Post by Prosdo »

That is interesting Pink. I received the marriage certificate of my great-grandfather Giuseppe and Amelia (USA name) and I don't believe that was on the marriage certificate. These are the images....

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/P ... monio1.png

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/P ... monio2.png

The only document that had some side annotations were my great-grandmother's birth certificate which can be seen below.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/P ... scita1.png
pink67
Master
Master
Posts: 4461
Joined: 25 Oct 2005, 00:00
Location: italia - liguria

Re: Prosdocimo & Olivo

Post by pink67 »

I apologize because my english is not good...
Being listed on the marriage act as son of unknown parents you'll find no parents name on the act but you'll know where the baby was abandoned, who found him, what he was wearing, sometimes the baby had a "recognition signal" like an half coin or a particular object just in the case that the parents or the mother wanted to claim him in a second time...
I was referring to Giuseppe' s birth act.... From the marriage act you can see that he was son of unknown parents... so, you can request his birth act but his parent's name will be not listed.... he was a foundling, abandoned child and name and lastname were "fantasy" names given by the town hall officers...

Tessa78 translated correctly this act for you, this is from your previous post:
Pink67 wrote:Marriage part 1

Number 3 Act of Marriage
Giuseppe Prosdocimo and Mariangiola Malia Apollonia Olivo

1914, 8 Feb at 9:40 AM at the Town Hall of Fossato Lerralta (sp?) appeared before the Mayor:

1. Giuseppe Prosdocimo, 35, (fishraio) born in Catanzaro, residing in Fossato, son of Father Unknown, and Mother Unknown,2. Mariangiola Malia Apollonia Olivo, 25, housewife, born in Fossato, residing in Fossato, daughter of deceased Paolo who resided in Fossato, and Concetta Lamanna (sp?) residing in Forrato.

T.
Laura :D
User avatar
Prosdo
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 32
Joined: 19 Mar 2008, 04:50
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Re: Prosdocimo & Olivo

Post by Prosdo »

Thank you for the clarification Laura. That is unfortunate. I was really hoping to find out who his parents were. I am really curious to why they gave him the last name of Prosdocimo since there are people actually with that name. I know there is supposedly a Saint Prosdocimo. I also heard rumors around the family that he took the name Prosdocimo when he was older because it was a friends name. Is there anyway I could possibly find out who his parents are? or any relatives?
Post Reply