Lawyer in Italy specialized in italian citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Lawyer in Italy specialized in italian citizenship

Post by johnnyonthespot »

jennabet wrote:... If you have all of your papers in order and an extra $2,000 to spare, it might be a good idea to check out this option rather than waiting two years for an appointment at a Consulate in the USA.
That's €2.000 = ~ $2,730 at today's exchange rate.

I am not sure I see what you would get for your $2,700 other than some hand-holding. As for the residency, I seem to recall that there is a special residency permit specifically for people who are in the process of obtaining citizenship.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jennabet
Master
Master
Posts: 1396
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Re: Lawyer in Italy specialized in italian citizenship

Post by jennabet »

I wasn't aware of a special residency permit for citizen applicants. What's it called, specifically? How does one go about getting it? I didn't see any such special permit application on my consulate's website. And I KNOW that you cannot apply for anything in Italy if you are there on a tourist visa (US passport -- good for three months). You can't even open a bank account.
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Lawyer in Italy specialized in italian citizenship

Post by johnnyonthespot »

jennabet wrote:I wasn't aware of a special residency permit for citizen applicants. What's it called, specifically? How does one go about getting it? I didn't see any such special permit application on my consulate's website. And I KNOW that you cannot apply for anything in Italy if you are there on a tourist visa (US passport -- good for three months). You can't even open a bank account.
It is a "'permesso di soggiorno in attesa di cittadinanza'; I have seen it discussed on the ExpatsInItaly board. If I understand correctly, you begin the process of document submission with your comune - and presuming that you have satisfactory documentation to convince the official that you will ultimately prevail, he/she gives you a letter which you can then use to apply for the permesso di soggiorno in attesa di cittadinanza, thereby giving you enough time to complete the process.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jennabet
Master
Master
Posts: 1396
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Re: Lawyer in Italy specialized in italian citizenship

Post by jennabet »

I think this would only apply to a foreigner who is already LEGALLY in Italy on some sort of a Visa (issued by a Consulate) and would not have to renew that Visa if they were issued a "permesso di soggiorno in attesa di cittadinanza". For example, a student who's student Visa is about to expire but who had managed to gather enough documents to convince the Comune to grant them an extended permit.

Or a retired person who went to Italy on an Elective Resident Visa. The Elective Resident Visa would not need to be renewed at expiration if they had been granted a "Permesso di soggiorno in attesa di cittadinanza".

A "Tourist" on a three-month US passport cannot do business with a Comune because said "Tourist" is not a legal resident of the Comune. Which puts us back to Luigi. He has a way to turn the Tourist into a temporary legal resident.
User avatar
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 202
Joined: 19 Jul 2010, 14:26
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Lawyer in Italy specialized in italian citizenship

Post by KarenChristino »

I think he said 2,000 EURO, which is closer to $2,700 USD.
User avatar
sonsolesg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 16 Jan 2010, 16:08
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Lawyer in Italy specialized in italian citizenship

Post by sonsolesg »

What I understand about the permisso de soggiorno is that you need to rent an apartment so you can get de codigo fiscal and that is like you place residence in Italy.
After this you can start the process of residence.
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Lawyer in Italy specialized in italian citizenship

Post by johnnyonthespot »

sonsolesg wrote:What I understand about the permisso de soggiorno is that you need to rent an apartment so you can get de codigo fiscal and that is like you place residence in Italy.
After this you can start the process of residence.
Yes, my impression as well. See http://expatsinitaly.com/node/137

By the way, the Codice Fiscale is very easy to obtain, not only in Italy but even at your nearest Italian consulate/embassy.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jennabet
Master
Master
Posts: 1396
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Re: Lawyer in Italy specialized in italian citizenship

Post by jennabet »

You must be an Italian citizen or have legal permanent residence in Italy to obtain a Codice Fiscale (similar to Social Security Number). I seem to recall that we have a problem in the USA with non citizens or non-permanent residents obtaining Social Security numbers. Why would anyone think the European Union would encourage such a practice?
User avatar
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master
Posts: 5228
Joined: 04 Aug 2008, 15:01
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Lawyer in Italy specialized in italian citizenship

Post by johnnyonthespot »

jennabet wrote:You must be an Italian citizen or have legal permanent residence in Italy to obtain a Codice Fiscale (similar to Social Security Number). I seem to recall that we have a problem in the USA with non citizens or non-permanent residents obtaining Social Security numbers. Why would anyone think the European Union would encourage such a practice?
Social Security numbers serve quite a different purpose than do Codice Fiscale.

From the Social Security Card application form: "To apply for an original card, you must provide at least two documents to prove age, identity, and U.S. citizenship or current lawful, work-authorized immigration status. If you are not a U.S. citizen and do not have DHS work authorization, you must prove that you have a valid non-work reason for requesting a card." ( http://ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf )

Anyone who wants to do any business at all in Italy needs a Codice Fiscale; I understand it is impossible to get a cell phone or open a bank account without one or buy property. Surely non-citizens can open bank accounts and buy property, no?

Codice Fiscale application form, US Embassy Washington DC website ( http://www.ambwashingtondc.esteri.it/Am ... dulistica/ ):

AMBASCIATA D’ITALIA IN WASHINGTON


RICHIESTA DEL CODICE FISCALE
Application form for an Italian “Codice Fiscaleâ€
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jennabet
Master
Master
Posts: 1396
Joined: 14 Jul 2010, 20:28
Location: Ancestral Homeland - Abruzzo Italy

Re: Lawyer in Italy specialized in italian citizenship

Post by jennabet »

I could not open a bank account in Italy until I was a resident with a Codice Fiscale.
User avatar
sonsolesg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 16 Jan 2010, 16:08
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Lawyer in Italy specialized in italian citizenship

Post by sonsolesg »

I'm planing maybe to go to Tuscany Massa Carrara and make the citizenship myself any tips?
Post Reply