Towns in Caulonia
Towns in Caulonia
Where can I find a list of the towns in Caulonia? Both of my maternal great grandparents were born in Caulonia, but I'm unsure as to what specific town or towns. Thanks.
Lynne
Re: Towns in Caulonia
This site may help
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
Under 'FAST REGION, PROVINCE AND TOWN SELECTION:'
Click Calabria
Under 'The province of Reggio Calabria consists of the following 97 municipalities:'
Click Caulonia
Scroll down to 'Sorroundings municipalities and hamlets of Caulonia'
You should find an extensive list of villages
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
Under 'FAST REGION, PROVINCE AND TOWN SELECTION:'
Click Calabria
Under 'The province of Reggio Calabria consists of the following 97 municipalities:'
Click Caulonia
Scroll down to 'Sorroundings municipalities and hamlets of Caulonia'
You should find an extensive list of villages
Re: Towns in Caulonia
Lynne, I'm so glad we could help.
If you haven't written to Caulonia for their birth rercords yet, the comune will also have the records for the surrounding villages.
Valarie
address:
Comune di Caulonia
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Roma
89041 Caulonia RC
ITALY
http://www.tuttitalia.it/calabria/77-caulonia/
(this webpage also has a list of villages under 'Frazioni, LocalitÃ
e Nuclei abitati')
Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
Or other helpful form letters:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html
If you haven't written to Caulonia for their birth rercords yet, the comune will also have the records for the surrounding villages.
Valarie
address:
Comune di Caulonia
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Roma
89041 Caulonia RC
ITALY
http://www.tuttitalia.it/calabria/77-caulonia/
(this webpage also has a list of villages under 'Frazioni, LocalitÃ
e Nuclei abitati')
Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
Or other helpful form letters:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html
Re: Towns in Caulonia
Hi Valarie,
Yes, I wrote to the Comune (in Italian) a year and a half ago with no reply. Since that time, I've secured the correct spelling of my MGGM's surname, so my plan is to write to them again. I'll also enclose a copy of my driver's license as well as another self-addressed envelope. Anything else I might be forgetting?
Yes, I wrote to the Comune (in Italian) a year and a half ago with no reply. Since that time, I've secured the correct spelling of my MGGM's surname, so my plan is to write to them again. I'll also enclose a copy of my driver's license as well as another self-addressed envelope. Anything else I might be forgetting?
Lynne
Re: Towns in Caulonia
Sounds goodlynnef wrote:Hi Valarie,
Yes, I wrote to the Comune (in Italian) a year and a half ago with no reply. Since that time, I've secured the correct spelling of my MGGM's surname, so my plan is to write to them again. I'll also enclose a copy of my driver's license as well as another self-addressed envelope. Anything else I might be forgetting?
Re: Towns in Caulonia
vj wrote:Sounds goodlynnef wrote:Hi Valarie,
Yes, I wrote to the Comune (in Italian) a year and a half ago with no reply. Since that time, I've secured the correct spelling of my MGGM's surname, so my plan is to write to them again. I'll also enclose a copy of my driver's license as well as another self-addressed envelope. Anything else I might be forgetting?!
Lynne
Re: Towns in Caulonia
vj wrote:This site may help
http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html
Under 'FAST REGION, PROVINCE AND TOWN SELECTION:'
Click Calabria
Under 'The province of Reggio Calabria consists of the following 97 municipalities:'
Click Caulonia
Scroll down to 'Sorroundings municipalities and hamlets of Caulonia'
You should find an extensive list of villages
Thanks again for your help, Valarie. One other question I had is: Where it lists the villages in Caulonia, is there a way for me to find out what surname(s) arose out of these villages?
Lynne
Re: Towns in Caulonia
Hi Lynne!
Actually, you used to be able to search by town on that site
That option has been missing for quite awhile
You could try the Ellis Island site and enter only the town (no name) for a list of folks who emigrated ...
http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html
Valarie
Actually, you used to be able to search by town on that site
That option has been missing for quite awhile
You could try the Ellis Island site and enter only the town (no name) for a list of folks who emigrated ...
http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html
Valarie
Re: Towns in Caulonia
Thanks for the link, Valarie. I was looking specifically for the names of my MGGP, Vincenzo Ali and Maria Grigara. I did find Maria's name, but not Vincenzo's...wonder why? His ship manifest is on the Ellis Island website, yet it's not listed on this link. Hmm... It looks as though I'll be unable to find out the village they were born in. As yet, I haven't sent another letter to the Officio di Stato Civile in Caulonia as I was hoping to give them the name(s) of the village(s) Maria and Vincenzo were born in. Any other ideas that might help me locate the village(s) before I write to Italy?vj wrote:Hi Lynne!
Actually, you used to be able to search by town on that site
That option has been missing for quite awhile
You could try the Ellis Island site and enter only the town (no name) for a list of folks who emigrated ...
http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html
Valarie
Lynne
Re: Towns in Caulonia
Hi Lynne 
Is this Vincenzo's manifest in 1922? It lists his place of residence as Gioiosa (Reggio Calabria), and his wife Maria remaining there...
Age about 46, heading to Farrell, PA, occupation listed as "smith"
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3802/alimanifest.jpg
Earlier manifest for what appears to be the same Vincenzo Ali,
arriving 1895, age 20, from Gioiosa
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Vincenzo Ali
Name: Vincenzo Ali
Arrival Date: 13 May 1895
Birth Year: abt 1875
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Burgundia
T.
Is this Vincenzo's manifest in 1922? It lists his place of residence as Gioiosa (Reggio Calabria), and his wife Maria remaining there...
Age about 46, heading to Farrell, PA, occupation listed as "smith"
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3802/alimanifest.jpg
Earlier manifest for what appears to be the same Vincenzo Ali,
arriving 1895, age 20, from Gioiosa
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Vincenzo Ali
Name: Vincenzo Ali
Arrival Date: 13 May 1895
Birth Year: abt 1875
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Burgundia
T.
Re: Towns in Caulonia
FYI - Caulonia and Gioiosa are about 10 km apart...
T.
T.
Re: Towns in Caulonia
Tessa, This is not my MGGF...I've already located his ship manifest on the Ellis Island website, which only identifies him as originating from Caulonia...no village mentioned. I'm specifically looking for the village he was born in within the town of Caulonia. 
Lynne
Re: Towns in Caulonia
Sorry, Lynne, I didn't see a manifest posted here...
I was trying to narrow down some specific details about Vincenzo to help in the search (DOB, year of immigration, etc.) so that I would recognize the correct Vincenzo Ali(a) in other documents...
BTW - Did Vincenzo have a SS#? That is another way to help find the specific place of birth.
T.
I was trying to narrow down some specific details about Vincenzo to help in the search (DOB, year of immigration, etc.) so that I would recognize the correct Vincenzo Ali(a) in other documents...
BTW - Did Vincenzo have a SS#? That is another way to help find the specific place of birth.
T.
Re: Towns in Caulonia
No problem, Tessa. (I'm not sure how to post his manifest).Tessa78 wrote:Sorry, Lynne, I didn't see a manifest posted here...![]()
I was trying to narrow down some specific details about Vincenzo to help in the search (DOB, year of immigration, etc.) so that I would recognize the correct Vincenzo Ali(a) in other documents...
BTW - Did Vincenzo have a SS#? That is another way to help find the specific place of birth.
T.
I'm unsure if he had a SSN...how would I find that out?
Lynne

